JAXA (& other Japanese) Launch and Discussion Thread

tater

As I mentioned in the previous post, I will now be posting the pics of JAXA project concept art that was on display at Chofu Aerospace Center outside of Tokyo.

stCoQSn.jpg

First up is a concept for a Hypersonic Transport (HST). It would be capable of flying from Los Angeles to Tokyo in 2 hours. Cruise speed would be Mach 5.

wzetpHF.jpg

Here's another view. I wonder if someone will try to make this in KSP :D

nylOWxf.jpg

Next up we have a quiet supersonic aircraft.

vns8u3d.jpg

Emission-free aircraft. I wonder why I am writing the names again when they are already in the picture...

s8pwiJ5.jpg

And finally a compound helicopter.

These are all concepts being pursued by JAXA at this time. Unfortunately, however, JAXA does not have a lavish aviation budget like NASA does and are unable to build any demonstrator aircraft at the moment. Hopefully JAXA's data can at least contribute to improving the work being done at NASA!

aCHRrD6.jpg

We also have some different concepts and proposals for experiments in space debris removal.

I hope you enjoyed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Possible tumble?

This doesn't look great :/

Is it still sending telemetry?

It doesn't seem to have suffered a tank rupture. Unless the screen froze when it made contact.

Program ending, they're waiting for the press conference. This doesn't bode well for the probe.

5 minutes ago, tater said:

Sad if it's a LOM. Stream showed decent props left (43kg), wonder of they can take off and move it?

Given its odd orientation on the map maybe it could have hit a Boulder?

ITS ALIVE!

Someone just spoke something on the broadcast in Japanese, does anyone know what he said?

LEV-1 also seems to be operating

It had an unique landing pattern, so maybe it's on its side?

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/01/japans-moon-sniper-mission-aims-for-precise-lunar-landing/

Just 10 feet (3 meters) over its landing site, SLIM will briefly hold in a hover position before shutting off its main engines and using smaller thrusters to rotate itself. This will allow SLIM to drop to the surface on the weight of five crushable landing legs—two under SLIM's upper body, two at the rear, and one extending toward the back of the lander.

"As SLIM descends vertically downwards, it is this back leg that first touches the lunar surface," JAXA said in a mission overview posted before the launch of SLIM. "In the second step, the spacecraft tips forwards, rocking onto the upper support legs before stabilizing on the lunar surface. In a nominal case, the rear support legs do not touch the Moon, but can prevent SLIM from tumbling sideways in the case of a more tricky landing."

1 minute ago, AckSed said:

It had an unique landing pattern, so maybe it's on its side?

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/01/japans-moon-sniper-mission-aims-for-precise-lunar-landing/

If it was on it's side as planned than this wouldn't have happened. It seems it landed and is transmitting data but is in some sort of abnormal position.

Hakuto-R, SLIM, and Peregrine. I don’t know of such a long string of failures* in lunar exploration since the Ranger program.

The closest thing to it in recent times seems to be the back-to-back failures of Nozomi, Mars Climate Orbiter, and Mars Polar Lander.

Interestingly it’s reversed. 1 Japanese spacecraft and 2 American at Mars, and 2 Japanese spacecraft and 1 American at the Moon.

Fingers crossed for VIPER. It’s integral to South Pole exploration, and it would be a major blow if it failed, especially considering China is launching a sample return mission to there this year.

*Some a partial failures though, I suppose.

3 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Hakuto-R, SLIM, and Peregrine. I don’t know of such a long string of failures* in lunar exploration since the Ranger program.

The closest thing to it in recent times seems to be the back-to-back failures of Nozomi, Mars Climate Orbiter, and Mars Polar Lander.

Interestingly it’s reversed. 1 Japanese spacecraft and 2 American at Mars, and 2 Japanese spacecraft and 1 American at the Moon.

Fingers crossed for VIPER. It’s integral to South Pole exploration, and it would be a major blow if it failed, especially considering China is launching a sample return mission to there this year.

*Some a partial failures though, I suppose.

Most of the crashes are coming from inexperienced private companies making their moonshots, the only government space agency's loss that comes to mind is Chandrayaan-2 which was a first attempt that nearly worked. SLIM is also a first attempt from JAXA and it even made it to the surface, impressive given it's ambitious design. Expect more crashes in the future before things start to work, think back to landing Falcon 9 but a half-million miles away and more expensive.

That all being said I'm very worried about VIPER given the track record of private companies, I believe the same company that did Peregrine is working on that lander. Hopefully they learn some things from it, losing VIPER would be very sad.

18 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Most of the crashes are coming from inexperienced private companies making their moonshots, the only government space agency's loss that comes to mind is Chandrayaan-2 which was a first attempt that nearly worked. SLIM is also a first attempt from JAXA and it even made it to the surface, impressive given it's ambitious design. Expect more crashes in the future before things start to work, think back to landing Falcon 9 but a half-million miles away and more expensive.

That all being said I'm very worried about VIPER given the track record of private companies, I believe the same company that did Peregrine is working on that lander. Hopefully they learn some things from it, losing VIPER would be very sad.

It was also an Russian lander who failed. Else I agree with you. And agree design was interesting, together with the landing system using images to guide it self in to an very accurate landing. 
But going for more of an pancake style lander would probably be better. 
Down the line I think we will get permanent satellites around the moon for communication and position, this works for higher orbits not low. 
Now this is something an private company could do to and sell as an service. 

Edited by magnemoe