Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Just now, kerbiloid said:

Some of them are embedded, others get red in the Insert Image.

I only posted 2 images. I see them, but of course I had the real page open, so perhaps they are buffered in.

12 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Got you.
Yes, the levers (?) themselves are stuck into the tip holes of the boosters, and this structure supports the core structural ring hanged.

(Doesn't allow to embed the underlying pix)

https://kik-sssr.ru/IP_4_Turatam_old_Razdel_1.htm

https://kik-sssr.ru/IP_4_Turatam_old_Razdel_2.htm

https://kik-sssr.ru/IP_4_Turatam_old_Razdel_3.htm

Energy

https://kik-sssr.ru/IP_4_Turatam_old_Razdel_4.htm

So it looks like we were saying the same thing the whole time?

I wish I could read Russian. It is admittedly hard to tell from the pictures whether the lever arms attach to the core, to the booster, or to the core-booster interface itself.

I suppose the third option would be ideal from a force management perspective.

The separation mode for the Soyuz boosters is, frankly, awesome. They don't use solid rockets for the separation which creates the Korolev cross. Instead they simply vent the pressurant from the LOX tank. Such a good design. You can replicate that in KSP by using one of the little fuel vents, linking it to an action group, and keeping just a touch more oxidizer in your tank than liquid fuel so as to leave a little bit for the propulsive vent. 

4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

So it looks like we were saying the same thing the whole time?

I was thinking that you mean, it stands on the boosters, and the core is hanged to them.

4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I wish I could read Russian. It is admittedly hard to tell from the pictures whether the lever arms attach to the core, to the booster, or to the core-booster interface itself.

Google probably can translate, but some text there is on the pictures, and special terms are not known to it properly.

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Instead they simply vent the pressurant from the LOX tank. Such a good design.

Like almost any ICBM does. Just they usually vent the turbopump exhaust gas from the oxidizer tank.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, DDE said:

By accident, today I've determined the origin of this footage: an eight-minute-long deepfake Gagarin: Lieutenant of the Sky shown at Zaryadie.

https://www.zaryadyepark.ru/schedule/114639/

Anatoly Zak still hasn't deleted his tweets falling for this thing, BTW.

Three more Russian paper future rockets that I had no idea they existed (they keep coming!):

That’s in addition to Soyuz 5, 6 and 7, reusable Amur, Angara A5M, A5P and A5V, reusable Krylo-SV, Yenisei (now almost fully reusable!), spaceships Orel, Orlyonok, LVPK and an unnamed spaceplane. Did I forget anything?

More trampolines to the god of trampolines!

Edited by sh1pman

"Korona SSTO will be back. Works are planned to restart at the beginning of the next year. In the new plan it will be 31 meters tall with launch mass up to 300 tons. It will be capable of delivering 13 tons to LEO with reuse possibility. (Official renders)"

So, assuming that the 13 tons is mostly the ship, then you need an Isp of 292s.  Certainly done many times before by Roscosmos (not sure about launch to vacuum), but just how much cargo is that 13 ton ship going to have?  And if it is supposed to land and be reuseable, that is even less likely.  For perspective, that's about twice the mass of the Soyuz spacecraft (the capsule, not the booster) and it has to have the main engines, propellant tanks, and guidance systems.

Yes, it is an engine with central body and modular combustion chamber, according to wiki.

And it's going to aerobrake by gliding instead of diving, so the bottom is concave.

Spoiler

1920px-%D0%AD%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BF%D1%8B_%D

Finally all starships and coronas will come to the Venture Star.

Spoiler

Z2SGS.jpg

13 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Three more Russian paper future rockets that I had no idea they existed (they keep coming!)

LIN Industrial have been around for some years. They can into Kerbal engineering:

Spoiler

On 5/16/2021 at 4:09 AM, sh1pman said:

Did I forget anything?

…and of course I forgot Argo (cargo), Argo-P (crew) spaceships and FOUR more variants of Amur rocket (potentially fully reusable, yes, including upper stage and fairing).

Edited by sh1pman

After 200 days in LEO.
1 turn = 1.5 h = 40 000 km
1 day = 24 h = 16 turns.

200 * 16 * 40 000 = 128 mln km.

Of course, it's 0.85 AU.
But on the other hand, are you seriously going to buy a car with 128 mln km of mileage?

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

But on the other hand, are you seriously going to buy a car with 128 mln km of mileage?

Blame the salesman, not the car.

Spoiler

But anyway, behold Midgetman's cousin.

29 minutes ago, tater said:

This popped up today, and seems related to the previous conversation ( @kerbiloid @sevenperforce) about booster attachment:

They are monitoring this forum for ideas. We should be proud.

They mean that the boosters aren't nailed to the core, and don't use pyrofasteners or so to decouple.

They are like amputated limbs stuck back into the joints.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, tater said:

This popped up today, and seems related to the previous conversation ( @kerbiloid @sevenperforce) about booster attachment:

Holy crap. Did they not have any sort of range safety?!?!

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

They mean that the boosters aren't nailed to the core, and don't use pyrofasteners or so to decouple.

They are like amputated limbs stuck back into the joints.

I wonder if that means these bolts have to be removed before flight:

i0662rp.jpg

Evidently, then, the pad lever arms must fit into the slot there labeled карман. This makes sense, given карман is the word for pocket. So the core hangs on the booster ball joint, and the booster pocket hangs on the pad lever arms.

However there would also need to be something holding the boosters to the core at the base. Maybe another slot-like structure.

*does more digging*

Okay, this looks like it.

rear-soyuz.png

Looks like there is a coupling between the booster and the core (orange) as well as a tooth/hook between adjacent boosters (yellow). 

So once the boosters burn out, the core just lifts straight out of the joints/couplings and the LOX press venting from the tops of the boosters pushes them away.

16 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I wonder if that means these bolts have to be removed before flight:

They aren't red, unlike the "technological brackets" on the previous pictures.

So, probably this isn't to be removed manually.

16 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Looks like there is a coupling between the booster and the core (orange) as well as a tooth/hook between adjacent boosters (yellow). 

This picture and several around look more detailed.

Spoiler

i0715rp.jpg

The core module is equipped with some mechanism to brake all eight trusses.

Maybe google has better terms

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://kik-sssr.ru/IP_4_Turatam_old_Razdel_1.htm

Upd.
"Power connection" = "structural connection", not "electric" one.

Edited by kerbiloid