Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

I'd consider the successful conversion of the Falcon 9 design from expendable to reusable to be a fluke. They had to seriously redesign the first stage to handle the new mission, and did so basically on the fly. Taking an established expendable design and converting it to a reusable one is pretty much a non-starter. It'd be better to start with a clean sheet.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

The RD-193 was never designed for aerial restart or precision shutoff.

You mean RD-191? Yes, it wasn’t. But Energomash needs work, right? So, here’s a good reason for new RD-19X.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

And then of course there are the logistical impossibilities of fetching it from non-RTLS sites.

Make it RTLS then.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Finally, Angara has been left in the cold by the manned program, and Khrunichev’s passion for Proton is proving unkillable. It’s actually a poor vehicle to place bets on.

Proton is old and not quite environment-friendly. And it’s retired, no? So Angara will have to take over at some point in the 2020s. Aaand there’s that Russian SLS Yenisei that needs an upper stage from Angara. This rocket is unavoidable.

Edited by sh1pman

46 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

You mean RD-191? Yes, it wasn’t. But Energomash needs work, right? So, here’s a good reason for new RD-19X.

I'm not sure mastering an injector type they've only barely heard of is a good challenge for them. That, and they're already having serious issues at low thrust - issues that I don't think they'll completely rectify.

I'm still betting on Soyuz-2.1v.

48 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

And it’s retired, no?

Yes. No. Maybe.

5 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Musk challenge to Russians so they waste resource on an impossible mission.

Oh, please.

It’d take them five years to react to that tweet, and that’s if they choose to. Remember, you’re dealing with the SLS Space Program here.

Just so you know, it's not like fueling issues on R-7 variants haven't happened before... I was browsing the Wikipedia article "list of R-7 launches" and I came across this:

15 April 1960, 15:06 Luna
(8K72)
I1-9 LC-1/5, Baikonur Failure Luna 1960A

Third stage premature shutdown due to ground crews forgetting to fill the RP-1 tank completely.

First set of RD-107A/RD-108A test-burned on naphtil, cleared for duty and shipped.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3907653

Arsenal and Krasnaya Zvezda simultaneously scrub their webpages describing the US-A nuclear-powered satellites and derivative projects. This gets reported on by RIA, so... extreme incompetence in information control, or a wink and a nod?

https://ria.ru/20190311/1551679328.html

Ultra-dubious source, ultra-familiar behaviour: Roscosmos panel on reusable LVs declares that existing developments (Buran, BOR, Baikal) must be used while keeping abreast of potential breakthroughs, like a winged, airbreathing nuclear SSTO. Naturally, guess which part of that catches attention of people more accustomed to dodging sniper fire in Syria.

http://anna-news.info/roskosmos-mozhet-sozdat-raketoplan-s-yadernym-dvigatelem/

Btw a lot of info (with many unique pictures) about Proton family and various abandoned and working projects related to UR-500/Almaz is in the "The Proton Launcher" book by Christian Lardier and Stefan Barensky.

I would advice to have a look.

Edited by kerbiloid

Russia shows off upgraded world’s most powerful rocket engine meant for Soyuz-5

https://www.rt.com/russia/453617-new-russian-rocket-engine/

"No, we're absolutely not jealous of some other rocket engine! That other engine uses gasified propellants, can't compare!"

P.S. I like this new trend of showing off new rocket engines, though.

P.S.2: RT journo's are completely technically illiterate, as expected.

Edited by sh1pman

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

P.S.2: RT journo's are completely technically illiterate, as expected.

I’m not seeing technical illiteracy, TBH, not on this occasion. Not much chance there, seeing as it’s probably a simple translation of the dry Energomash press release.

Just regular one. In duplicate.

RD-171, RT-171, RS-171, who cares!?

15 minutes ago, DDE said:

I’m not seeing technical illiteracy, TBH, not on this occasion. Not much chance there, seeing as it’s probably a simple translation of the dry Energomash press release.

Just regular one. In duplicate.

RD-171, RT-171, RS-171, who cares!?

...The engine, which has improved overheating protection and a new fully domestically-made fuel and oxygen regulation system, weights 10.3 tons and has a thrust of over 800 kN, slightly more than the RD-171M variant...

Anyway, I’m really not excited about this engine. Who cares if it’s the most powerful engine or not, if the rocket it’s supposed to fly on is already outdated, 3 years before its first launch. Uncompetitive, not reusable, and less capable than F9 that uses way simpler and cheaper Merlins. Why not make something better than what competitors already have? Huge lost opportunity. Same with Angara and that superheavy nonsense. I guess I know the answer, but it’s still sad.

21 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Why not make something better than what competitors already have?

Because it’s the SLS space program. Roscosmos, while being a for-profit company, is not competing with anyone; Irtysh is a true spherical horse in an economic vacuum, its history a political gambit upon a political gambit.

6 hours ago, DDE said:

Irtysh is a true spherical horse in an economic vacuum, its history a political gambit upon a political gambit.

I wouldn’t mind political gambits if they resulted in nice rockets, not stupid outdated rockets. Now we’re stuck with this Zenit knockoff for the next 50 years. 

Edited by sh1pman