[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Well before i send any manned missions to the planets, im gonna send some kethane scanning satelites, set up a refueling base there, THEN land my kerbals down so ill be a ble to get back home by refueling my ship. Then i will repeat the process on all the planets and moons.

Distant inteplanetary missions will need proper docking and rendezvous steps to avoid really ridiculous rocket designs.

Most of the interesting space missions involved docking. I'm looking forward to seeing it implemented.

Since we can transfer our kerbals via EVAs, docking isnt as needed as it was before, simply launch two ships. One for landing on planet and taking off, one for getting back home.

Edited by TheProdigy

Since we can transfer our kerbals via EVAs, docking isnt as needed as it was before, simply launch two ships. One for landing on planet and taking off, one for getting back home.

I'd find it more satisfying to launch the lander, the cruise stage and the crew module separately, dock them together in orbit to form one spacecraft, then proceed with the mission.

Presumably there will need to be some kind of on-the-fly staging editor so the docked craft work properly, but there we go.

Like how the constellation program worked? Launch your landing rocket and take off rocket plus your base modules, then dock them to some super efficient engines?

Back to 0.17, does anyone have any information on what new parts are being added, if any?

With Eve, it has a dense atmosphere so you build a huge take off rocket (just to return to orbit) and use alot of parachutes to safely land it. Then use that large rocket to return your explorers to Low Eve Orbit where they can transfer to a waiting interplanetary vessel.

I've been playing around with different solutions, and I've come to the realization that the best ship design to reach a foreign planet, land, dance around a little, lift off and come back to Kerbin is not a single ship, but two.

First ship:

- Get there.

- Land.

- Lift off to orbit.

- Rendez-vous with the second ship.

Second ship:

- Get there.

- Some orbital manoeuvrings for rendez-vous and what not.

- Get back to Kerbin.

I've been meaning to fly the interplanetary missions that way for a while, too.

It's what the old Kraut would have wanted ;)

135264.jpg

Yes! Von Braun knew what was up.

It was/is also the plan for the Constellation mission to Mars, although with 3 ships (7 launches in total). Since we don't have docking yet, I'll have to launch the three ships already assembled. The video is a very good primer on inter-planetary travel.

I'm thinking more and more about adding a third ship with a rover/MoLab and additional return-to-orbit vehicle for long time stay.

I've been playing around with different solutions, and I've come to the realization that the best ship design to reach a foreign planet, land, dance around a little, lift off and come back to Kerbin is not a single ship, but two.

First ship:

- Get there.

- Land.

- Lift off to orbit.

- Rendez-vous with the second ship.

Second ship:

- Get there.

- Some orbital manoeuvrings for rendez-vous and what not.

- Get back to Kerbin.

That way, you reduce the load of every ship in half, and you can reach and land on even the most distant planet.

Thats Scott Manleys idea

Thats Scott Manleys idea

He was not the first person with this idea, it's been around since the .17 announcement, maybe before that.

It's very difficult, also the Kraken eats test ships... He doesn't have a working design yet

Without new or hacked parts a ship that hits a full size planet and returns to kerbin in one shot is probably impossible.

He's going to try it with 2 pilots sent in a 3 man lander, then 3 man rescue ship with 1 pilot.

I'm going try 1 man out in a 1 man lander, then a 3 man rescue ship with 2 pilots. Should make things easier.

Edited by SLAMS

It might be better to have both get into orbit around a small moon, since then it's much easier to rendezvous.

Not really, because then you have to waste fuel getting to the moon, when you could just have used it to rendesvouz in the first place :).

BTW the IVA's were one of my suggestions

So the decades of games with internal cockpit views had nothing to do with it? The devs put it in only because you said so?

I'm sorry, I have to call bull**** on that one.

Edited by Cykyrios
merged double post

Rickenbacker, please refrain from double-posting, especially when this is all you have to say...

But I have to agree that saying "this was X's idea/suggestion" is not exactly constructive either.

Remember to keep it civil, people!

Given the vastness of space verses the size of a teapot, you'd never find it, (and if you did chances are you'd go past it like a bullet.) It's a good idea though. Maybe when you get within a certain range it appears on the orbital map like the other planets. It'd still be near impossible to get to, unless the 'range' at which it appears on the orbital map was really large. More of luck finding it than skill. Good idea, but I just don't see it working out.

Yeah, sure, when there's one person trying to find it... but if you have hundreds of thousands (perhaps millions?) of people all putting hundreds of hours into the game, the chances of somebody finding it begin to more realistically approach 100%.

Dunno about that, there's an awful lot of space, and if you're not within 50m of the thing you're not going to see it (bearing in mind in a Kerbol orbit you can't really get that sort of accuracy). Also if you've got a difference in speed of 200m/s or so, you're not going to see it pass you. Doubt it would ever get found.

Dunno about that, there's an awful lot of space, and if you're not within 50m of the thing you're not going to see it (bearing in mind in a Kerbol orbit you can't really get that sort of accuracy). Also if you've got a difference in speed of 200m/s or so, you're not going to see it pass you. Doubt it would ever get found.

Well, we'll never know unless they put it in.

Rofl, all this discussion over a teapot. A TEAPOT. I hereby high five whomever suggested it. And I hope this update doesn't break compatibility because i finally created an awesome ship that can make it to the escape velocity. Took me some time to get the lander just right. i will go to the desert planet first. :confused:

The best way to conceal a teapot (or the teapot) would be to put it in orbit HDG 270, inclination 45, in altitude JUST below where Mun SOI would take You over. Good luck finding it then...

@Richy teh space man

I would be very surprised if they didn't. If you look at statistics of our Sol system, then You'll see that the majority of moons have some sort of atmosphere. Well... maybe not the majority, but certainly more moons have it then those that are just vacuum.

I would be very surprised if they didn't. If you look at statistics of our Sol system, then You'll see that the majority of moons have some sort of atmosphere. Well... maybe not the majority, but certainly more moons have it then those that are just vacuum.

Heres hoping for a Titanish moon near the green gas giant

Only Titan and Triton have "significant" atmospheres. The rest of the moons that have atmospheres, have atmospheres that are so trace (thin), that it may as well be a vacuum (Triton is not far from this). Those atmospheres have masses that are roughly equivalent (our moon's for instance) to the same mass (+/-) as a semi truck - spread out over the entire planet. They would be of no use for aerobraking maneuvers for landing or other purposes.

The best way to conceal a teapot (or the teapot) would be to put it in orbit HDG 270, inclination 45, in altitude JUST below where Mun SOI would take You over. Good luck finding it then...

Lol, I'm glad someone has thought this through, lest we be unprepared for a massive space-teapot laundering job