Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Obvious rockets, assume not orbital rockets as you are supposed to tell other countries about them. 
But could be some military test, I don't think the rule apply if rocket never leaves your country. 
You have that famous Norwegian suborbital rocket to study polar light who made Russia go an very low DEFCON number. I guess Norway put out an launch warning but as they was studying polar light they had to wait for it to be strong so launch window was wide. Some in Russian military got the "good" idea that we could use this to test response of out nuclear forces but forgot to add this is an drill to it. Rocket was going north so could not enter Russia but some panicked. Rocket was also far to weak to be anything but tactical as in an suborbital sounding rocket.

Irresponsible personal speculation: another ballistic missile midcourse intercept test.

The sightings were basically within Hebei province, so it's possible that the launch was somewhere inland. That’s a good chance for OSINT practice their skills to find out the route: there’s full of videos and photos with when and where the people took them on the “Hebei UFO” Weibo trending.

Edited by steve9728
No need to comment for something not yet announced

The patch this time combined with the last time:

p4z0N69.png

I find articles with detailed introductions of Tiangong and Tianzhou published in academic journals hosted by BIT and CAST - tons of more info than wiki:

Tiangong: https://spj.science.org/doi/10.34133/space.0035

Tianzhou: https://spj.science.org/doi/10.34133/space.0006

Actually, I was looking for the interesting thought I just know but was already presented last year: Karst Cave as Terrestrial Simulation Platform to Test and Design Human Base in Lunar Lava Tube

Edited by steve9728

On 9/1/2023 at 5:49 PM, steve9728 said:

And it's September now - the kids in primary and secondary schools are in session. Probably there will be another Tiangong Class.

CCTV: 15:45 CST this Thursday, there's going to be the fourth Tiangong Class.

This time, the class will include:

1. Introducing MT Module
  2. Spherical flame experiment
  3. Magical "ping pong ball" experiment 
  4. Conservation of momentum experiment
  5. Gyro experiment again
  6. Space and ground interactive session
Edited by steve9728

On 2023/7/20 at PM10点47分, steve9728 said:

UZep4pI.png

My little stats can be updated:D

PLA Daily reported on the part of the last three EVAs of the SZ-15 crew, which are keeping classified:

The second EVA carried by Fei Junlong and Zhang Lu needed them to connected a equipment which have 20 plugs. The part of the third EVA task was installations of connecting cross-module cable connector, which have 40 plugs on it. The last EVA need to to go to the load cabin of the MT Module from WT Module’s airlock - some kind of from the leftmost to rightmost.

Still no report on mission duration though.

Edited by steve9728

On 9/19/2023 at 12:31 AM, steve9728 said:

CCTV: 15:45 CST this Thursday, there's going to be the fourth Tiangong Class.

This time, the class will include:

1. Introducing MT Module
  2. Spherical flame experiment
  3. Magical "ping pong ball" experiment 
  4. Conservation of momentum experiment
  5. Gyro experiment again
  6. Space and ground interactive session

Great big news for the sea launch - the sea launch platform just launched. It can support both solid and liquid fuel rockets. And with autonomous navigation and unmanned function, equipped with DP2 power positioning system to maintain the accuracy of the launch point position.

https://x.com/CNSpaceflight/status/1708350436443578483?s=20

btw, happy birthday PRC!

On 8 Oct. 1956, China's first missile and rocket research institute, the Fifth Research Institute of the Ministry of Defence, was established. It marked the first step of China's space program.

It was also the predecessor of CASC (China Aerospace Science and Technology), which was reorganized on 1 July 1999.

Happy 67th Birthday to the China Space Program!

https://x.com/CNSpaceflight/status/1711024277078880735?s=20

Edited by steve9728

The engines of the Tianzhou were ignited to adjust the orbital altitude of the CSS. In preparation for the launch of Shenzhou-17 at the end of this month.

CtY8Yln.png

Without considering any reasonableness and what those new science modules will be designed, this is what it will look like if all the docking ports are used after the second phase of CSS's construction:

0mAplTP.png

Source

Edited by steve9728

• 2 weeks later...

https://x.com/cnspaceflight/status/1717927891022041473?s=46&t=Jd73T2beq0JLNtwTy1uR5A

Shenzhou 17 carrying Tang Hongbo, Tang Shengjie, and Jiang Xinlin lifted off yesterday. It docked at Tiangong 6 hours later. The three taikonauts already onboard will stay for a couple more days before returning to Earth.

3 hours ago, Scotius said:

Apparently they had rough landing, with capsule tumbling from too much lateral velocity. Not sure if it was caused by wind, or parachute malfunction. Taikonauts are fine, it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toWIIZcxAUI

My guess is pretty high wind. Yes it might be an late release of parachute but you definitely don't want to release it to early. Its designed to handle an tumble so no big deal outside an less pleasant landing. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://x.com/cnspaceflight/status/1729900912867709329?s=46&t=Jd73T2beq0JLNtwTy1uR5A

China Manner Space Agency announces the crewed lunar mission was approved by the government earlier this year. They are targeting before 2030.

Very interesting. In other areas of society, China has pulled off some impressive construction feats. There is a famous video of an entire train station being built in just 48 hours or so.

But rocketry is more complex. At the very least, they have their concepts and designs largely sorted out, and they aren’t redesigning stuff for the thousandth time over like the Soviets did until freaking 1965. In contrast to the constantly flip flopping Long March 9 design, Long March 10 has remained consistent, which may indicate maturity in the project.

I would be cautiously optimistic about this. They did complete their space station on time, a sign they are good at setting and keeping schedules, which contrasts with the Soviets.

It should be noted they are not officially trying to race the US to the Moon and get there first, but the desire to go is probably brought about by fear of the Artemis Accords. In the past, some PLA papers have expressed concern that the US might try to close off access to the Moon. So by getting to the Moon just shortly after the US, they can secure their own portion of it.

I highly doubt they could actually beat the US to the Moon. Even if Artemis III doesn’t fly until 2028, it’s hard to imagine China landing before 2029.

Comrade @steve9728 seems to have signed off the forum permanently. He was an invaluable source of info on the Chinese space program, so it is very unfortunate.

In his stead, I will give a monthly update on what China launched and from where, and to where. This will be delayed for the next month (December) due to the New Year's Holiday, but I will try to do it on the first day of every next month.

For non-launches, that is, basic space program news, I will try to just post it when it happens, but the scope of my sources isn't as deep as Steve's so I can't guarantee I'll cover everything.

So, let's look at what China launched in November 2023!

1. November 3rd, 2023: A Long March 7A launched TJS-10 into GEO from Wenchang SLC. The TJS series of satellites are a cover name for a variety of military testbed satellites. It may be anything from a SIGINT sensor platform to a ballistic missile early warning sat prototype.
  2. November 9th, 2023: A Long March 3B/E launched ChinaSat6E into GEO from Xichang SLC. It is a communications satellite for China Satellite Communications, a satcom provider.
  3. November 16th, 2023: A Long March 2C with an Expedition-1S restartable upper stage launched Haiyang-3A into SSO from Jiuquan SLC. The Haiyang series of satellites are oceanic remote sensing sats operated by the Ministry of Natural Resources. The Haiyang-3 series is equipped with synthetic aperture radar. Letter A denotes it is the first in a series of identical SAR sats.
  4. November 23rd, 2023: A Long March 2D with an Expedition-3 restartable upper stage launched three HJS-2 communications satellites into LEO from Xichang SLC.

By comparison, there were four American non-Starlink launches in November, with one being Starship IFT-2. Russia only conducted one launch in November. The only other launch from any other country was North Korea's Chollima-1 SLV putting the Malligyong-1 reconnaissance satellite into orbit.