[1.3.1] Interstellar Flight Inc. - Kerbal Life Support Mod Development thread

linuxgurugamer

39 minutes ago, flart said:

I had read release-OP and all this dev-thread.

I understand what I can hide slurry and sludge tanks (SST) at lower modes together with recycle parts and resources at panel.

But similar to resource-thing, I don't really need SST because I won't "to do an extended mission without the recyclers, but to be able to recycle eventually"

but I need extended mode for recycling.

So you propose:

1. toggle extended mode, build 100% recycle ship (and see SST at VAB, which I don't want to see)
  2. launch vessel
  3. toggle classic mode for not see SST at VAB.
  4. for every new 100%-recycling vessel GOTO 1

Or I can just:

1. toggle extended mode and don't show SST at VAB
  2. launch vessels
  3. if I wanted SST I would untoggle don't show SST at VAB

That why I think this second new toggle is a good idea.

Are you asking for a way to hide the tanks and recycling parts in the editor?

If so, it's doable, and I haven't yet written a status window for the editor, so I can certainly add that when I do.

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you asking for a way to hide the tanks and recycling parts in the editor?

Slurry and sludge tanks. toggle in the settings for hiding slurry and sludge tanks in the editor. Mode independently.

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I haven't yet written a status window for the editor

you hided them at classic mode, and showed again at extended mode.

I am asking separate toggle for hiding them. At modes, where they are not hiding by default. 

Edited by flart

On 12/5/2017 at 7:17 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Once this is done, and it's very close now, I'll be starting to think about habitats.  I don't intend to add any parts, there are sufficient habitat mods around, but I will  be writing configs for them, starting with the Tokamak Refurbished Parts.

So I'm looking for some ideas as to what you think various habitats should do regarding life support.

Now that I've released it, I can start thinking about habitats.

Again, trying to keep it simple.

My initial thought is that each available habitat seat would reduce the LS requirements of a single kerbal by a fixed amount (20%).  So the LS requirements of the kerbal will be multiplier by 1 - reductionPercentage, which, using 20% as an example, will result in a multipler of 0.8

Any seats in excess will be evenly spread among all kerbals, and applied as a multiplier.

So, using a simple 3 kerbal vessel with 3 habitat seats would result in:

(1 * .8) * 3 = 2.4 LS/day

If the vessel had 4 habitat seats, it would look like this:

excessHabSeats = 1

excessHabPerKerbal = 0.2 * excessHabSeats / numKerbals = 0.6666

excessHabMultipler = 1 - excessHabPerKerbal = 0.9333

(1 * 0.8 * excessHabMultiplier) * 3 = 2.24 LS/day

If the vessel has 6 habitat seats, then it looks like this:

excessHabSeats = 3

excessHabPerKerbal = 0.2 * excessHabSeats / numKerbals = 0.2

excessHabMultipler = 1 - excessHabPerKerbal = 0.8

(1 * 0.8 * excessHabMultiplier) * 3 = 1.92 LS/day

This is fairly easy to understand, and will prevent adding so many seats as to reduce the LS useage to zero, but it still will reduce.

Also, different kinds of habitats could have different multipliers, so, for example, a habitat could be very large but with few seats, and would therefore have a larger multiplier.

Comments, please

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Waxing_Kibbous The habitation idea was, or should have been dismissed. This mod is already complex with what it has taken from the BioMass mod. If Linux adds habitation, I'm afraid he might as well rename this to USI LS.

This is more like habitation as a LS bonus, and not a psychological factor- I see it more like Kerbals are less stressed so they eat less and breathe easier, and nothing else.

"My initial thought is that each available habitat seat would reduce the LS requirements of a single kerbal by a fixed amount (20%)."

IMO something like 5% or less with a 10% hard to reach maximum would be fair. It's always nice to have a good reason to add some proper living space.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I have a small problem with the mod, just want to check if anyone has seen this before.

I installed the mod yesterday, and my kerbals have lifesupport available and are using it away happily.

However, im missing the parts that comes with the mod?

They dont show up in sandbox, and in career i can unlock them, but they dont show up in the parts list?

What gives? Everything else seems to be working?

Im not at home atm, so cannot post a screenshot or anything.

I suspect that its a installation issue, but ive seen several of versions/.zip files for this mod, so something might have gone wrong there, since it seems to contain several different folders, and i could not find an installation guide.

Edited by Conzolax

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.