Searching for an old fashioned flying saucer

You mean something like this.  Completely stock, so no mods required.

ufo1.jpg

ufo2.jpg

Obviously this one was built for atmospheric flight, but it wouldn't be too difficult to do something for flights in space.

Edited by Scarecrow

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, before I got hooked on Star Wars replicas, I tried to make a replica of a real-life flop of an aerospace flying saucer: the Avro Canada VZ-9 Avrocar. Intended to function as a "flying jeep" in combat, it quite literally never got more than a couple feet off the ground.

1948884.jpg?v=v40

But what doesn't work in the real world can often work in KSP! Not sure it's what you're looking for, but here's my version in action: Dx1T1PX.png

VTOL, for atmospheric flight only. This one could reach top speeds of ~35-40 m/s in level(ish) flight, but just like the real life version, it was pretty finicky.

ltUFl2P.png

l'd be happy to upload it if you're interested.

-SkunkTwerks

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:22 AM, SkunkTwerks said:

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, before I got hooked on Star Wars replicas, I tried to make a replica of a real-life flop of an aerospace flying saucer: the Avro Canada VZ-9 Avrocar. Intended to function as a "flying jeep" in combat, it quite literally never got more than a couple feet off the ground.

1948884.jpg?v=v40

But what doesn't work in the real world can often work in KSP! Not sure it's what you're looking for, but here's my version in action: Dx1T1PX.png

VTOL, for atmospheric flight only. This one could reach top speeds of ~35-40 m/s in level(ish) flight, but just like the real life version, it was pretty finicky.

ltUFl2P.png

l'd be happy to upload it if you're interested.

-SkunkTwerks

Actually saw this UFO style hover car once at a museum.  Got me interested in some stuff Tesla did in his work on propulsion. 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, Scarecrow said:

Here's a modified version of mine that doesn't have a big blue flame shooting out the back.

ufo3.jpg

I tried to build a version of this one.  The only way I could get things to fit right made it so heavy it would not lift off.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.