KSP Challenge: A Very Kerbal Kerismus Challenge!

Darth Badie

On 12/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, Darth Badie said:

While in orbit (somewhere) deliver and attach the ornament

By this does your ornament have to be launched on a separate rocket? Or can you launch both the tree and ornament in the same rocket and attach the ornament to the tree in LKO?

1 minute ago, The Dunatian said:

By this does your ornament have to be launched on a separate rocket? Or can you launch both the tree and ornament in the same rocket and attach the ornament to the tree in LKO?

I don't think so...

However, as I was typing this message, I thought that that sounded very like Apollo.

15 hours ago, The Dunatian said:

The intent was to demonstrate ability to intercept another craft in orbit and then transfer cargo from one craft to the other. 

But the documentation requirements are pretty sparse, so if you know you already have a vehicle capable of carrying the star into orbit... I wouldn't particularly care (or know) if you shortcut it a bit and just edited a craft with the star (or star itself) into orbit.  Personally, I was thinking it would be a good combined mission for a rocket followed by a shuttle delivery.  When I'm done tinkering with badges, I think I'm gonna take a shot at this one meselfs!

Edited by XLjedi

39 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

@linuxgurugamer  It seems so obvious to me now...  but the idea of using engines as candle flames had never even occurred to me.

Very nice; badge progress has been updated!

I'm working on Jeb's present.

Oh nuts, I just reread the rules.  I was going to make Jeb the meanest, baddest spaceplane ever, using some specific mod parts.  But this would fail the rules in two ways, one by not being "transferrable" and the second by not being stock.

Oh well.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Regarding presents, I still want to make a spaceplane for Jeb, but it fails the "transferrable" rule.  Would the ability to have it dock on the nose of another vessel (balanced properly) suffice?  Going to be much harder with stock parts, there are a number of Mk2 stockalike parts I was going to be using.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding presents, I still want to make a spaceplane for Jeb, but it fails the "transferrable" rule.  Would the ability to have it dock on the nose of another vessel (balanced properly) suffice?  Going to be much harder with stock parts, there are a number of Mk2 stockalike parts I was going to be using.

I've made stuff (rovers for instance) that do not fit inside a cargo bay...  they do however, have docking ports so they can be attached to or towed by other vehicles.  There's already at least one stock gift for Jeb, so if you have a vision for a special gift for Jeb, I'm not going to spoil it.  Presumably, it will be able to make the trip to Minmus though? 

1 minute ago, XLjedi said:

I've made stuff (rovers for instance) that do not fit inside a cargo bay...  they do however, have docking ports so they can be attached to or towed by other vehicles.  There's already at least one stock gift for Jeb, so if you have a vision for a special gift for Jeb, I'm not going to spoil it.  Presumably, it will be able to make the trip to Minmus though? 

Ummm, is this permission to use a mod oor two?  And yes, I will fly it to Minmus and land it next to Tux so it can be given to Jeb

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, is this permission to use a mod oor two?  And yes, I will fly it to Minmus and land it next to Tux so it can be given to Jeb

Fewer the better, but sure...  go ahead.  You do still have to post a link to the craft file though!  KerbalX is pretty good about helping out with identifying the mods used, so I would recommend posting it there.   I want to see this thing in action! 

Another thought; there is no limit on mod usage for a craft capable of transporting gifts to Minmus or Eve.  If the design includes a cargo bay or rear docking port attachment to drag gifts around.  You might go with a simpler cargo-style gift and use this special vehicle as your "Magnificent Sleigh" or "Gift Transporter".

...but up to you.  I won't disqualify a cool gift design, if you think that's what Jeb REAALLY wants this year.

Edited by XLjedi

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Mrcarrot said:

Hmm... The Minmus tree sounds cool... but, then again, I always decide to do these challenges but never do :P

Hey now; that is borderline "naughty" talk!  ...best get busy on that tree! 

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

Fewer the better, but sure...  go ahead.  You do still have to post a link to the craft file though!  KerbalX is pretty good about helping out with identifying the mods used, so I would recommend posting it there.   I want to see this thing in action! 

Another thought; there is no limit on mod usage for a craft capable of transporting gifts to Minmus or Eve.  If the design includes a cargo bay or rear docking port attachment to drag gifts around.  You might go with a simpler cargo-style gift and use this special vehicle as your "Magnificent Sleigh" or "Gift Transporter".

...but up to you.  I won't disqualify a cool gift design, if you think that's what Jeb REAALLY wants this year.

But the gift IS the plane, or whatever it will be :-)

I'll keep the mod parts to only two or three mods, all related to the Mk 2 parts

6 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Does the gift for Kringle have to be one of the 4 gifts already made or acquired, or can we make a 5th gift just for Kringle?

Also spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

TZGCJlR.jpg

That is a nice looking tree. I have my own design coming up soon. :wink:

4 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Does the gift for Kringle have to be one of the 4 gifts already made or acquired, or can we make a 5th gift just for Kringle?

Also: can I wrap the acquired gifts?

Given the following:

• The 4 gifts from the first 3 challenges were specifically made for: Jeb, Bob, Bill, and Val
  • The "one gift only" limitation was meant to apply only to gifts for: Jeb, Bob, Bill, and Val  (as a requirement for "Wee Three Kings")
  • The Eve gift options were meant to be a shortcut so people would not have to make 2 gifts
  • Since a gift "To: Kringle" could not be used for the "Wee Three Kings" challenge, and therefore does not change the community challenge component...  

The gift for Kringle could be one of the 4 gifts... but it doesn't have to be.

Wouldn't be much fun if one of our little friends had to sacrifice their new gift to Kringle now would it?      

A specific gift to Kringle is allowed under the following conditions:

• It has to be a stock gift  (no Star Trek transporter gift boxes!)
  • It still needs to be transferrable between craft  (so it can be towed or delivered and dropped from another craft in Eve orbit)
  • It would not qualify you for the first challenge since it is "To: Kringle"
  • It would not qualify others for the "Wee Three Kings" challenge since it is "To: Kringle"
  • If you post the gift, it would be OK for other people to use it as their gift "To: Kringle" for the "Kerismus Eve" challenge
  • Only YOU would qualify for the "Kerismus Miracle" IF your Kringle gift can get Kringle back into orbit

WRAPPED GIFTS!!  That's crazy talk!!!

...that would be worth at least 20-30 extra points with a bonus dice roll multiplier!

Edited by XLjedi

If its worth doing It's worth overdoing or as my good friend says, "if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly".

My tree is a 70 meter tall 5 meter diameter trunk with 77 MN of thrust and ornaments filled with LFO. The topper is a tri-alpha nuclear fusion powered 2300 light (288 a8 lamps) eye melting ball. I made a present for Bob (it uses mods) but it is the perfect gift for him. Since he is scared when moving more than 2 m/s, I built him a mini sci rover with a full roll cage and a top speed of 1.9 m/s.

Tree and top docking above minmus

8F78EB1CB548443362EE379F7725D04B72BAD861

Jeb landing with the bob rover package on the top of the lander

249D9FC140E3446CD34A4A38269AF77290EB3A5A

Bob going out to light the tree

E6518AD7258B0D70B280205A647026C71E802A17

And the nuclear powered eye melter fully lit

0EA40A7E42422B7D194E9995A182054628D4F886

And the rover

98C71083048C537194287DBE0F4715FB32197D41

It even has a reel to reel hi-fidelity sound system (atmosphere required).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.