Anyone else think the Ariane rocket family looks really Kerbal'?

XrayLima

I decided to take a look at older versions of the Ariane family today, and blimey, the really really look kerbal!  Odd coloured sections, fins all over the place, kind of noodley, no two tanks with the same design.... 

Awesome!

ariane-comparaison-famille-1080x763.jpg

I'd say the Soviet N1 wasn't very Kerbal like and in fact the R7 family with it's long tapered booster sections doesn't fit the natural design visual that seems 'Kerbal'.  Then again, my rockets probably don't look exactly like anyone else's.  But the Ariane family 1-4 seem very Kerbal in the way they seem made of lots of bits stuck together, some grey, some orange, fins in funny place etc.  I saw the diagram and had to check it wasn't taken from KSP!

5 hours ago, XrayLima said:

I'd say the Soviet N1 wasn't very Kerbal like and in fact the R7 family with it's long tapered booster sections doesn't fit the natural design visual that seems 'Kerbal'.  Then again, my rockets probably don't look exactly like anyone else's.  But the Ariane family 1-4 seem very Kerbal in the way they seem made of lots of bits stuck together, some grey, some orange, fins in funny place etc.  I saw the diagram and had to check it wasn't taken from KSP!

The N1 didnt look kerbal. It worked in a kerbal manner though

I would say that the rockets look modular, and most modular rockets(like Saturn V) can be built to equal likeness in KSP. I find though, that stock KSP needs inter-stages which really make it look more realistic. 

Wait, the decoupler farings are pretty similar to interstages? RIght?

Especially the Ariane 4 with Moar boosters attached. Are there two different sized boosters? Sure looks like it...The fact that these look so Kerbal is a tribute to KSP game designers

Okays seriously...those struts on the left booster are right out of KSP...I wouldn't believe this was real if someone just showed it to me.

Image result for ariane 4

Edited by Tyko

On 1/27/2018 at 7:18 AM, Canopus said:

The most recent one worked but was most likely programmed wrong, causing it to launch with the wrong inclination. 

When I posted, it was still very fresh, all the articles I had read indicated a major failure, turned out better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.