Bad science in fiction Hall of Shame

peadar1987

5 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

In the mirror universe, Burnham is raised by Georgiou instead of Sarek, which means that it diverges at least before Burnham's birth, which

I'm considering Discovery noncanon.  It might be good show, but its not star trek.  TNG had debates, entire episodes set in court rooms, and non-war episodes.  Discovery is just the expanse but lower quality and without newtonian physics.

4 minutes ago, YNM said:

For all intents and purposes, it is already an Empire.

Hide contents

Bird poop islands don't really count... :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, YNM said:

What do you think is the reason the sun still never sets on the empire ? XD

It does.  US doesn't have territories east of brazil.  So the sun does set.

37 minutes ago, DAL59 said:

We don't know it was apollo.  It could be the newly formed empire claiming the moon.

Strictly true, but from the general flow of it, proceeded directly by the Saturn V launch and flight taken from the regular series intro, which are followed by scenes of Apollo landings, I think it is safe to assume that was the intent.

However, the spacesuit in that shot doesn't fit.  I'm going to take the liberty of completely ignoring it and insist that I am absolutely correct anyway.  So :sticktongue:!

:wink:

2 hours ago, DAL59 said:

I'm considering Discovery noncanon.  It might be good show, but its not star trek.  TNG had debates, entire episodes set in court rooms, and non-war episodes.  Discovery is just the expanse but lower quality and without newtonian physics.

The "mirror universe" populated by "evil twins" of our beloved heroes goes way back to TOS.

I don't give a hoot about canon. All I want is a good story.

Star Trek is riddled with lazy plot devices (holodecks, replicators, parallel universes, time travel, alternate timelines...) that only exist so that lazy writers can throw canon out of the window whenever it suits the story and the filming budget for the current episode.

The Expanse on the other hand is great space opera, with decent physics, consistent characters, and a good story. It does have a couple of plot holes, but at least they do their best to avoid most of the silliness of Star Trek.

Edited by Nibb31

16 hours ago, wumpus said:

I'm curious how long it takes the vegetation to grow like that.  It certainly shows that it has been stable for some length of time, but only in that *exact* position.

Depending on the exact plant, anywhere from a couple years to a couple decades.  If we knew the plant.....

13 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

In the Expanse universe, don’t they take drugs to survive high-g loads during travel? How would a drug prevent your organs from turning to mush during these burns?

Given we already have drugs that open and close the vascular structure on demand, and seeing as this series is set a ways in the future, if medical science progresses at the same rate that it has over the previous same period, I have no problems with drugs making you more resistant to high G loads for long durations.   Our bodies are quite resilient to g load stress at it is (relatively speaking), I can easily see some pharmacological enhancements coming along to shore up the body.   In the books (don't remember if the show addressed this), there were concerns about long term high dose usage of such drugs.

21 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Has anybody already mentioned Alien (1979) and the original objective of Nostromo voyage?
They deliver oil from another star system, refining it.

Its not oil, its "mineral ore".

Makes a bit more sense that way :wink:

Don't get offended if this was mentioned in the last 31 pages of this thread, but the whole fungus and tardigrade thing from Star Trek: Discovery was just silly. I can get behind a huge tardigrade floating and living (for a while) in space, but cosmic subspace fungus? Really?

The only thing that really bothered me in The Expanse was how tiny and out of plane the Jupiter moons were. There's that one shot when Alex does the whole slingshot thing (also unrealistic, I know) and he suddenly gets near Europa and it looks as if it had a radius of 1km, maybe less.

11 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

I can get behind a huge tardigrade floating and living (for a while) in space, but cosmic subspace fungus? Really?

Well, why not?

TOS had a giant space amoeba:
nxz9EcM.jpg

And before you get too harsh with me, no, I haven't seen ST:D at all.

Edited by razark

13 minutes ago, razark said:

Well, why not?

TOS had a giant space amoeba:
nxz9EcM.jpg

And before you get too harsh with me, no, I haven't seen ST:D at all.

Well, tbh I kinda expected ST:D to be like other Star Treks (more fictiony than sciency), but I feel like this franchise wouldn't be hurt from being modernized a little bit. They could say it's denser clouds of dark matter and they are learning how to interact with it or something. I'm fine with living organisms in space, like the tardigrade or amoeba. I can actually imagine an animal of sorts using it's skin to obtain energy from radiation (if I'm not mistaken there's a fungus in Chernobyl right by the Elephant's Foot that does just that) but a subspace living structure that stretches over the whole galaxy? Meh.

Edited by Wjolcz

3 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

a subspace living structure that stretches over the whole galaxy

Ok...

Yeah.  I'm with you on that one.  That's just a little bit much.  (Like I said, I haven't seen STD at all.)

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Did you read the xkcd link, its very end?

Yes, but for some reason, the first time I saw the picture it instantly reminds me of the island of Tristan Da Cunha (which is also an isolated island, just like Pitcairn)

2 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

....but a subspace living structure that stretches over the whole galaxy? Meh.

OK... let me put this in a little better context...

The episode with the giant Space Amoeba was called "The Immunity Syndrom" and first aired in 1968... and I was 6...

And to a 6 year-old future sci-fi fanatic... a giant space amoeba is just about the coolest thing ever!!!  :cool:

Just like this was about the scariest thing ever... (again, I was a 6 at the time... and already totally hooked on ST:TOS)

Edited by Just Jim

47 minutes ago, ARS said:

Yes, but for some reason, the first time I saw the picture it instantly reminds me of the island of Tristan Da Cunha (which is also an isolated island, just like Pitcairn)

TBH, Tristan da Cunha probably has more strategic value than Pitcairn - it's the equivalent of BIOT or Akrotiri and Dhekelia in the Atlantic.

The only reason it isn't one, IMO, is because they already have Ascension, St. Helena, and Falklands.

Pitcairn is too far in the middle of nowhere.

14 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

OK... let me put this in a little better context...

The episode with the giant Space Amoeba was called "The Immunity Syndrom" and first aired in 1968... and I was 6...

And to a 6 year-old future sci-fi fanatic... a giant space amoeba is just about the coolest thing ever!!!  :cool:

Just like this was about the scariest thing ever... (again, I was a 6 at the time... and already totally hooked on ST:TOS)

I never did understand why sometimes Kirk wore those green, open-necked shirts. Were they some kind of alternate uniform?