SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

I seem to be having no trouble downloading mods that are between 0 and 10mb, but as soon as I try to download a mod which is, say, 37mb, the download "finishes" halfway, and leaves me with an incomplete mod. (so many commas)

The world falls apart when our savior admins are away. They are human, however, and require rest and relaxation like the rest of us.

Well...hopefully everything will go back to normal! Thanks ahead of time @VITAS!

Im having the same issue, im trying to get the ksos Dauntless mod, i downloaded the ksos super 25 mod without error after about 10 trys, but Dauntless is still not downloading right.

when i try to extract it with 7zip it gives me this error  "Data error : KSO/parts/kerbin_orbiter_norm_Nrm.dds". I hope that helps.

im sorry. im still on vacation and cant do anything using this inet con. will be back on monday and promise to fix stuff.

about the css problems: there where some site breaking things happening (before i left) so i did a quick fix that isnt pretty but works (for now).

most importently: i want the site to be working and it angers me, that im not able to fix it asap.

17 minutes ago, VITAS said:

i want the site to be working and it angers me, that im not able to fix it asap.

I totally get that feeling. But don't let it get to you, enjoy your holiday!  At least a quite large part of the community (I'm guessing) are playing testing 1.2 without mods.

55 minutes ago, VITAS said:

most importently: i want the site to be working and it angers me, that im not able to fix it asap.

Yes.. we appreciate that you care so much, but DO NOT let it affect your vacation...
its just bad timing.... If only it had happened the day AFTER you left, you could have never even known about it, till after you returned... :D

People just need to be patient...lol

2 hours ago, VITAS said:

im sorry. im still on vacation and cant do anything using this inet con. will be back on monday and promise to fix stuff.

about the css problems: there where some site breaking things happening (before i left) so i did a quick fix that isnt pretty but works (for now).

I've been doing various types of IT support for decades now.  And, one thing I've learnt is, you shouldn't take it home with you (unless someone's paying you to do so, on a short term basis), and you really shouldn't take it on holiday.  I know you're personally invested in this, but everyone needs time off.  So, feel free to be slightly annoyed that there's stuff going on and that you can't fix it.  That's understandable and human.  But then turn that off and go have a relaxing time on vacation.

And, as @katateochi said, KSP is currently in that limbo state of a large section of the community using a pre-release, which means very little mods anyway, and mostly modders won't want to mess with their release versions (even if they're madly updating RCS and checking what explodes, they won't necessarily update anything 'till the prerelease is done).  So, for the occasional panicked person, it's probably "OMG the worst time for spacedock to have issues!!!!!", but for 99% of people it's probably the best time ever.  And who likes that 1% anyway?  :-)

On top of all the problems the Infrastreucture is giving me i now was informed, that i lose my sponsored Server nodes. I hope they will be available till im home so i can alter the DNS in time :/

IF youre starting to get 404 errors i advise you to to use http://kerbalspaceprogram.eu until i fix stuff.

I also need to rent another Server as replacement (especialy with the a new release coming up).

Fun times....

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

On top of all the problems the Infrastreucture is giving me i now was informed, that i lose my sponsored Server nodes. I hope they will be available till im home so i can alter the DNS in time :/

IF youre starting to get 404 errors i advise you to to use http://kerbalspaceprogram.eu until i fix stuff.

I also need to rent another Server as replacement (especialy with the a new release coming up).

Fun times....

Hey Vitas, what are the requirements for hosting Spacedock? 

not easy to say but a topend Intel CPU 32GB RAM and a bunch of Drives dont cut it anymore :/

So im now looking at something with more cores/cpus 64GB RAM and a bunch of SSDs

(Bandwidth usage is arround 200-300Mbit/s 24/7)

It is possible to split the site onto multiple servers (especialy for the file server part) But that requires my trust in the server owner to not simply disapear :)

The currewnt production code is a heavily modified version of the old kerbalstuff code. It has some  bottlenecks we arent able to fix (Its mostly single threaded and does a lot of DB querys).

We are working on a compleate rewrite for some time now but i dont have enough spare time to finish the frontend.

P.S. I redirected all the traffic arround the first caching instance as temp fix. I hope the server sint exploding in my face :/

PPS please tell me if the site is doing better now (loading timeouts/errors, corupted zips etc.)

Edited by VITAS

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

not easy to say but a topend Intel CPU 32GB RAM and a bunch of Drives dont cut it anymore :/

So im now looking at something with more cores/cpus 64GB RAM and a bunch of SSDs

(Bandwidth usage is arround 200-300Mbit/s 24/7)

It is possible to split the site onto multiple servers (especialy for the file server part) But that requires my trust in the server owner to not simply disapear :)

The currewnt production code is a heavily modified version of the old kerbalstuff code. It has some  bottlenecks we arent able to fix (Its mostly single threaded and does a lot of DB querys).

We are working on a compleate rewrite for some time now but i dont have enough spare time to finish the frontend.

P.S. I redirected all the traffic arround the first caching instance as temp fix. I hope the server sint exploding in my face :/

PPS please tell me if the site is doing better now (loading timeouts/errors, corupted zips etc.)

its running smooth for me atm.

5 hours ago, VITAS said:

Just a tought: maybe use Torrent and Magnet for the downloads? granted, CKAN would need to incorporate a torrent client to make it complete... But wouldn't it take a huge piece of the load off of the server? 

9 minutes ago, Denko666 said:

Just a tought: maybe use Torrent and Magnet for the downloads? granted, CKAN would need to incorporate a torrent client to make it complete... But wouldn't it take a huge piece of the load off of the server? 

The idea has merit. Of course you will then have to deal with Sony or Disney taking your site offline because you're illegally distributing their content. Clearly that's not the case but they'll see ANY torrent file as evil and contact the ISP to shut it off.

Wasn't the 0.18 demo distributed as a torrent, by Squad?

6 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

The idea has merit. Of course you will then have to deal with Sony or Disney taking your site offline because you're illegally distributing their content. Clearly that's not the case but they'll see ANY torrent file as evil and contact the ISP to shut it off.

Wasn't the 0.18 demo distributed as a torrent, by Squad?

Torrent is not an illegal technology, if they want to follow that line of thinking they should ask for the banning of cars, alcohol, weapons,...etc because those supposedly kill people, and so on. It's what people do with it that is illegal, not the technology. I know in America they don't get that, but i don't see why anyone else should fold because a group of hillbillies with a nervous tick that makes them take everything to court. In the Open Source community lots of software is distributed through torrent files because it makes hosting software much more economically viable. in ex.: Fedora Linux for example is distributed that way, and so is Ubuntu Linux. I never heard them getting a cease and desist for using Torrent. 

Tell me where I said that it's illegal. It was only last week that a linux distro was taken offline because well... Sony had discovered "illegal content" with zero additional research.

just because it's legal doesn't stop large publishers from being lazy and send out DCMA requests, sadly.

What i meant is we should not yield to the numbskullness of such corporations.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Tell me where I said that it's illegal. It was only last week that a linux distro was taken offline because well... Sony had discovered "illegal content" with zero additional research.

just because it's legal doesn't stop large publishers from being lazy and send out DCMA requests, sadly.

I like the idea, I really do. It's a brilliant way to lower dara cost and increase download speed at the same time.

But if you're going to be an unknown name (compared to, say, Fedora) hosting thousands of torrent files with names sometimes resembling those of movies/tv series, then it would be very wise to have at least a contingency plan for what to do when one of those knucklebots pulls the trigger. It might be a great way to finance the site (wrongful DMCA requests are open for damages although I yet have to hear about someone cashing in on it) but at the very least you should be prepared for it.

well, how about not hosting in the US... 

Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the legal premise in the US innocent until ->proven<- guilty? 

bah, i always get worked up when it comes to the US and its non-legal system. How can a company demand a legal action even before the case has been presented to court...?! 

Okay, I'm not a moderator but lets settle this legal discussion down. I'm pretty sure none of us are lawyers and unless one is here and wants to put his/her 2¢ into that part, I think it's better to let this go.

Besides, we have a few trigger happy moderators here and I would rather not have people get warnings over minor stuff.

'Kay?

Trust a Canadian to be the voice of reason...  

Point taken...  Besides, its 2am here so i better snooze anyway. 

But, in regards to legal concerns with using torrent technology to solve the problem, i say lets deal with that when and if it occurs. 

Back home and DNS updated to remove the Digital Ocean nodes from the system. Ive to figure out how to replace them now.

Update:

Seems like ive to rent another Server. This sadly results in more cost so....

If you havent donated:

Your monthly buck makes SpaceDock not suck!

(We need T-Sihrts with that)

If you have: many thank yous to you (sorry ran out of creativity there)

Edited by VITAS