SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

Its working great for me... Pages/downloads load within seconds...

Was very slow when I posted earlier, but I've been grabbing stuff off it all day... might take 10~15 mins for a page to load... Just gotta let it sit, & wait...

Edited by Stone Blue

One Thread keept grabbing all the resources, so my conclution is: one host is bonbing the site with requests (maybe kspmods again?)

I flushed the system but theres nothing i can do with the resources i have to hande that kind of load.

But i will see if i can make firewall rules or throttel req/s

Also my Internet at home is down since mid last week, so my response times are higher than usual.

Bottom line: I know and i do what i can.

Update:

Found the person causing it.

May the owner of http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.fr step forward and collect his bucket of blame?

250 000 Page requests in 24 h are a bit much

Update 2:

In addition to blocking the above until its resolved i tuned mod avasive. So if you get 403 forbidden trough normal usage please post here so i can raise the limit if needed.

Edited by VITAS

2 hours ago, VITAS said:

One Thread keept grabbing all the resources, so my conclution is: one host is bonbing the site with requests (maybe kspmods again?)

I flushed the system but theres nothing i can do with the resources i have to hande that kind of load.

Also my Internet at home is down since mid last week, so my response times are higher than usual.

Update:

May the owner of http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.fr step forward and collect his bucket of blame?

Update 2:

In addition to blocking the above until its resolved i tuned mod avasive. So if you get 403 forbidden trough normal usage please post here so i can raise the limit if needed.

I know the administrators, i'm contacting them, thanks for the report

9 hours ago, VITAS said:

Update:

Update 2:

Hello, sorry, I think it came from me, I don't know how, I haven't worked on it since some months (it has worked as this since one year). All the mod lookup is now disabled and I will work to see where this bug come from.

Really sorry for the annoyance.

Adblockers remove certain size images from webpages because these are the usual ad sizes.

Images on SpaceDock are resized depending on your screensize, so if you are unlucky they have the exact same size as some banner ads and get removed by your adblocker.

Note: SpaceDock has no Ads so its safe to add an exception for the site.(im all about protecting your data and not leaking it to other companys)

Edited by VITAS

19 hours ago, Malah said:

Hello, sorry, I think it came from me, I don't know how, I haven't worked on it since some months (it has worked as this since one year). All the mod lookup is now disabled and I will work to see where this bug come from.

Really sorry for the annoyance.

So, out of curiosity, why was it sending those requests? I looked at the wiki and it just looks like a normal wiki page. And would it really get that much traffic?

I think its maintining a modlist or something. He did ask me a few mont ago for permition to use the SpaceDock API and allready wrote a PM. So i file it as misshab.

Its also my fault for not having any throtteling for mass ammounts of req. from one IP. I now have that BTW :)

If you have some root server and you keep dishing out http requests as fast as you can its simply called DOS (in this case unintentional) :)

Edited by VITAS

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, out of curiosity, why was it sending those requests? I looked at the wiki and it just looks like a normal wiki page. And would it really get that much traffic?

Before the disabling of the library it checks if a mod is updated or not and it takes the last link. A month ago we have worked on the cache of the wiki, perhaps it comes form this ... again sorry.

7 hours ago, VITAS said:

I think its maintining a modlist or something. He did ask me a few mont ago for permition to use the SpaceDock API and allready wrote a PM. So i file it as misshab.

Its also my fault for not having any throtteling for mass ammounts of req. from one IP. I now have that BTW :)

If you have some root server and you keep dishing out http requests as fast as you can its simply called DOS (in this case unintentional) :)

Yeah, the good from this is it fairly benignly highlighted the lack of throttling, and VITAS has used that new knowledge.  And now spacedock has throttling.

Worrying about "how could this have happened" is less important than how it's responded to.  And everyone's responded very nicely.  :-)  The how it happened is now a technical issue with whatever script went loony.  And not anything to do with spacedock.  But will now be assisted because wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.fr should be able to tell if they're script is being daft earlier, based on hitting VITAS's throttling.

in other news: im happy to see a steady flow of $1 donations to come in. I guess its thanks to the efforts on facebook.

So this is a good place to thank eveyone donating: you make SpaceDock beeing a thing :)

I also want to ask everyone to do some publicity in their respective social bubbles (e.g. twitter, twitch,youtube,...) so i can continue to improve the site.

Edited by VITAS

I can sum up this community and why i like it in two words: no mobbing

Its always amazing to me how nice and  understanding everyone is. Each time the Site has problems i get an unexpected flood of sympathy (and each time im expecting a mob raging about me beeing unable to give them what they want). It has to added this is a forum and they are normaly worse than the debian mailinglist :D

I want to thank each one of you for keeping it that way.

BTW im still all for a Kerbelcon to finaly meet a bunch of those great people (maybe some devs too as side effect). I would even organize it in my hometown Hamburg/Germany if i had official support by squad for it.

(Maybe the community could ask for such a thing? You have a louder voice than i do)

Other News:

I just found the 1.2.1 release post so its now added to spacedock.

Edited by VITAS

• 2 weeks later...

Im afraid so.We COULD simply change the mod name in the db and rename the folder but i fear braking everything so i rather not.

But ill think about adding forwarders. So you could put a mod into forward mode and it automaticly would lead you to another one. So you could transfer control, change name and so on. But either way: you would have to reupload all files.

44 minutes ago, VITAS said:

Im afraid so.We COULD simply change the mod name in the db and rename the folder but i fear braking everything so i rather not.

But ill think about adding forwarders. So you could put a mod into forward mode and it automaticly would lead you to another one. So you could transfer control, change name and so on. But either way: you would have to reupload all files.

Oh, ok. I decided not to and just left cause I was too lazy to do the same one. :P

But now when I try to upload a different mod, I get an Internal Server Error after I hit publish. :S

interresting. are you sure the errocode is 500 and not 4xx?

Im on my way to work now but ill take a look when im back.

(if its 4xx forbidden ive to raise the connection limit i imposed due to the unintentional dos attack)

Edited by VITAS