SpaceDock.info (Mod Hosting Site)

VITAS

I agree, adding an installation mechanism to the site, doesnt seem it would be productive.
I just dont see the point in needing something to automatically install mods. I dont see how extracting files from a .zip file, into a single, standard, KSP folder cant get any easier. While CKAN may be a nice piece of software, I think its caused a lot of problems as well. I think all you would need, would be something that can check your currently installed mod versions, and just notifies you if they need updating. Which, we basically already have in AVC.

5 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

There is no web programming language I know that can write to the users hard disk, not to mention all the security issues this would cause.

Use CKAN. It's a good piece of software.

Well, some viruses manage it via vulnerabilities, aka, things that shouldn't work.  But yes, having web sites capable of installing code remotely is a bad idea, in big flashing lights, with exclamation marks and all that.  And as has been pointed out, installing mods on KSP is about as easy as... no, it is the easiest mod install ever.  CKAN is awesome, but not because it can install a mod.  but because it'll tell me when they're updated, chase down dependencies, and all that stuff.

5 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

Well, some viruses manage it via vulnerabilities, aka, things that shouldn't work.

Therein lies the solution. We just need to write a SpaceDock virus. And maybe make a CKAN botnet while we're at it. Heh. ;)

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm kidding.

2 hours ago, NecroBones said:

Therein lies the solution. We just need to write a SpaceDock virus. And maybe make a CKAN botnet while we're at it. Heh. ;)

Disclaimer: Yes, I'm kidding.

It's a lot of work.  You'd have to keep changing install schemes everytime each OS was patched.  It'd be easier I guess to insert extra code to block OS updates.  What could possibly go wrong with that?  :wink:

OK, I'm going to stop taking the liquid out of this now.  Just in case someone's reading and thinking "Hey, that's a good idea!"  And really, how much comedy value is there in poking holes in this.  It's one of those "funny, cos people do this sort of dumb thing, so it's sad as well" things. ;.;

CKAN does desktop stuff and spacedock does the web stuff. That wont change.

keep in mind, that ckan uses the spacedock infrastructure as file source.

(theres even a special server for it)

all you can ask (the CKAN guys) is to integrate features into the client youre missing from it. they will talk to us if they need something for it.

btw one feature i might suggest to them is adding a dmp serverlist to the client that does all the needed stuff for you to join a server...but that req. some work.

but lets talk about features you want to see on the website not in a desktop client :)

Argh. I accidentally deleted my AndChat from my phone... and with it all my automated login scripts. ha.  I will have to hunt through my IMs and emails to get everything set back up again.

well at least i found time to release a new version of my GAP mod (see sig). 

Hi,

How are transfer speeds for you guys?

(the question also applies to CKAN downloads from ckan1.spacedock.info or spacedock.info)

Im asking this because i want to decide if theres a need to deploy the cdn for file downloads or not.

Edited by VITAS

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

Hi,

How are transfer speeds for you guys?

(the question also applies to CKAN downloads from ckan1.spacedock.info or spacedock.info)

Im asking this because i want to decide if theres a need to deploy the cdn for file downloads or not.

Actually, it seems for me, anyway, that the site sometimes takes a minute or more to load... whereas the DOWNLOAD speeds are fine for me... I'll try to remember to watch actual speeds during my few next downloads...

yes.

site generation times are mostly related to the code we got from ks.

my tools tell me its on average about .85s but inital site loads take much longer

for now i want to focus on raw download speeds of files not code issues.

I just downloaded Avionix's pack as a test, which I believe is one of the biggest downloads on SD... It took 30-40secs, with a rock steady 1.9-2.1 MB/s, which is my absolute maximum internet speed... I'm pretty sure I ALWAYS pretty much get these speeds when downloading from SD...

As to the site loading times, sometimes its a second or two, sometimes its over a minute... I know you @VITAS said your concern was the opposite, but from MY side, I would like to see site load times increase... :)

As always, THANX for SD...

32 minutes ago, VITAS said:

We did quite some work on the code to speed up site loading times but theres only so much you can do to legacy code.

Well, if nothing else can be done with it, then so be it.. Its not horribly long... :)

Congrats to the SpaceDock Team, on hitting 400 hosted mods, a small milestone, while only being in existence for just over 5 weeks...
400 mods is just a bit over 1/3 of what KerbalStuff hosted in its 20 month runtime...

Excellent job, people!... THANK YOU!!

Edited by Stone Blue

Thank you and other for using it. I made many webpages and ive learned that a following arround it is more important than design or functionality.

1/3 but all running on the current ksp version and activly maintained :)

challange: try one mod per day for one year

BTW theres stuff that can be done to speed things up but it takes  many many man hours so it will be a while.

if someone wants to help: we need python AND php (with symfony) devs.

Edited by VITAS

Yes there will be.

I got a bit distracted from the cdn thing.

Mainly because the current setup is laughing about the bandwidth demand. (average of 30-50Mbit/s on its 1Gbit/s line). GenPage donated some cloude nodes and we started setting them up as CDN but didnt finish. If you are good with server stuff youre welcome to setup mirroring. (The current setup uses Kubernets, docker and tinc and geoDNS but lacks some rsync or cluster FS setup)

If thats working im happy to integrate more Servers in order to reduce roundtrip times.

Please tell me where your server is located (geographicly and datacenter), whats its bandwidth(conenction speed), which OS / distro you are running and if you can setup docker and/or a vm so we can have root acc on it or can deploy containers.

You can join us on irc.esper.net #spacedock

Following up on my last post:

i now set up the cdn and we will deploy it as soon as its tested and integrated into the code.

We arent in urgent need of servers but improving the infrastructer is always a good idea.

(python and php devs are needed more)

For people who want to donate servers:

We need the following specs

• at least 100Mbit/s connection
  • ubuntu 14.04 lts or debian prefered
  • 160GB+ disk space (RAID1)
  • root (you can setup a vm or container)
  • 4gb+ RAM
  • fixed ipv4 (+ipv6 if you have)
  • located in a real datacenter (no home servers)
  • usable by us for at least 6 month
  • at least core i7 or xenon (no atom, pentium or celeron based cpus)

locations we prefer:

• south america
  • australia
  • asia
  • east europe

Happy easter

VITAS

P.S. current server locations (more will follow)

map2.png

Edited by VITAS

12 hours ago, daniel l. said:

I dont think mods made for 1.05 are outdated yet...

No, but a lot moders with steam access have started to use KSP 1.1 pre-release and also started to port their mods for KSP 1.1.

That means, a decent amount of mods will be ready to use as soon as KSP 1.1. is officialy released and less likely that some nasty bug will slip to official release unnoticed. I really appriciate moders time and patience with pre-release version, also it is good thing for SQUAD that they have decided to publish pre-release version to more people from KSP community.

For that reason option for 1.1. mark on SpaceDock is more than welcome.

I don't think Daniel was complaining about having the 1.1 mark.  The comment was more directed to the fact that mods currently marked for 1.0.5 are showing a warning saying they are outdated and don't work with the current release of KSP - when the current release of KSP is still 1.0.5.  (1.1 is a pre-release, and it's only available on Steam.)

A minor issue really, but if it becomes a pattern with Squad, it might be nice to have a 'alert box' that goes the other way: "This mod is compatible with beta/prerelease versions of KSP."  (And then have the current version being unmarked.