[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

On 2/26/2024 at 5:02 PM, BravoAlpha101st said:

Oh ok. I also uninstalled it because it kept using like 93% of my computer's memory, is that normal?

did you check to see if there's a differences white and whiteout the mod?
KSP uses lots of memory but if adding the mod increases the memory used, its not suppose to happen.

• 3 months later...
On 3/2/2024 at 12:27 AM, BravoAlpha101st said:

Yeah I uninstalled the mod, and the memory usage went way down

On 3/2/2024 at 3:09 PM, AmanitaVerna said:

I noticed this as well.

Can both  of you elaborate on this regarding the memory issues. I am just curious about this issue.

After the first time I launched a submarine with a Bon Voyage controller (on Kerbin), memory usage shot up to 80 - 95%, and even recovering the submarine and restarting KSP didn't fix it, but uninstalling BV did. (I have 32 GB of RAM and KSP was using a *lot* more memory than usual)

I had to restart KSP a lot while it was installed because every time memory usage got up to 95% Windows would slow way down, presumably from it dumping the memory of active programs into virtual memory.

I didn't notice exactly at what point the memory use first started increasing (after I designed the vehicle? After I launched it? After I used the autopilot?). In any case it continued even with no BV vehicles in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Man i wish i could get this to work.

I simple lack the technical skills to diagnose the memory issue. It may be unavoidable to a degree due to active piloting of several crafts in real time, i simply do not know.. but am sad that i can no longer send rovers around a heavenly body, while do other things.

I know mechjeb has a autopilot for rovers, but will it continue piloting even when you are not actively controlling that vessel? What other options are other there if not

On 6/7/2024 at 9:49 PM, newvegasmatt said:

Can both  of you elaborate on this regarding the memory issues. I am just curious about this issue.

Absolutely no clue. Maybe the mod uses a lot of memory? My computer struggled to run KSP with Bon Voyage, and after removing it, it no longer struggles as much, but I can actually run a few more windows.

• 2 months later...

Doesn't that make the controller part a bit redundant then? Unless it's a probe, you can just stick an kerbal on a command seat and get access to the autopilot. Given that, it seems weird how they no longer have intrinsic access to it when inside a spacecraft.

9 hours ago, SergeantBlueforce said:

Doesn't that make the controller part a bit redundant then? Unless it's a probe, you can just stick an kerbal on a command seat and get access to the autopilot. Given that, it seems weird how they no longer have intrinsic access to it when inside a spacecraft.

It's because the kerbal is in some quasi EVA state. You cannot do a crew report while in external command seat. 

That's my guess.

The other would involve the fact that bon voyage is for rovers and the seat is specifically designed to function with a rover and therefore includes the controller script.

Anyone ever try this with the mem allocation tool? I am wondering if the script will keep the RAM from spooling constantly. 

On 9/5/2024 at 2:34 PM, Xtra said:

I'd love to love this mod but everytime I've used it to move a rover on the Mun... it appears 20 m above the surface drops and explodes.

If I remember correctly, that should be configurable somewhere. I specifically recall asking about that since I was having the opposite problem.

In fact, here:

On 2/25/2021 at 10:14 AM, etmoonshade said:

Would it be possible to provide a config option in the XML to tweak the default height above terrain to spawn? Most of my rovers tend to be big, chunky, and able to survive a 50m drop. :D

Default it to 0 so behavior doesn't change for most people, but give those of us with frequent problems an option.

(alternately, and obviously more complex, an option in the BV window itself for spawn height above terrain)

I couldn't tell you WHERE the config option is or if it actually got implemented, but I did ask for it :D

Edit: Okay, yup, it's apparently in settings somewhere based on the changelog.

Edited by etmoonshade

On 9/6/2024 at 5:53 PM, etmoonshade said:

Edit: Okay, yup, it's apparently in settings somewhere based on the changelog.

Okay, it's actually under GameData\BonVoyage\Plugins\PluginData\BonVoyage\config.xml, this tag:

<double name="heightOffset">0</double>

With that said, even setting it to 24 (for me) ends up with me significantly under or over the land, and it's almost like it's being "forced" into the ground. I'm not sure if it needs some sort of physics easing, possibly briefly setting the craft to invincible, I don't even know lol

You might want to just use the Alt+F12 "cheats" menu and toggle unbreakable joints and no crash damage 'til the rover stabilizes.

@maja - it'd be nice if you'd be willing to take a look at this again, though I'm running a quite heavily modded install. All I have is speculation, unfortunately, but I can provide you with my .ckan modlist export and a craft file.

Edited by etmoonshade

ARxljRm.png

I know this mod has only one part.  But I decided to go ahead and make that part recolorable.

For those who haven't heard, TURD's the word.  Textures Unlimited Recolor Depots.  Maybe some of you have seen the interesting paint features from KSP2? Well, really they kinda ripped it off from [https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/174188-112x-textures-unlimited-recolour-depot/].  A handful of modders have since been trying to add TURD configs to mods that need the joy of painting breathed into them, and I personally have been trying to tackle weird, miscellaneous, ancient, obscure, forgotten, and odd mods.  BonVoyage has been a REQUIRED mod for most of my installs since I had to drive halfway around Duna and circumvent Minmus and  the Mun a couple times.. BonVoyage makes those kind of tedious journeys far less tedious.

Anyways, I've got the download for that available at the head of the page here:

Check it out! I've got TURD configs for 9 other mods there, most of which have many more parts than BonVoyage.   And more will come soon.

Edited by UncleMateo

If someone wants to adopt this or my other mods, contact me. I don't have time for modding anymore due to my busy work and life schedule.

Edited by maja

On 9/16/2022 at 9:15 AM, Bizobinator said:

Hullo! I've got a rover on the Mun, but it keeps exploding when I switch to it (it just completed its first journey). What files would you need from me in order to help me figure out what to do? I've tried changing the "disable rotation" & height offset, without success :(.

I'm using 1.4.1 and I'm having the same problem...  My height adj is set to 0 but it shows up way higher and then crashes to the surface.

Edited by Xtra

2 hours ago, Xtra said:

I'm using 1.4.1 and I'm having the same problem...  My height adj is set to 0 but it shows up way higher and then crashes to the surface.

I suggest you to try something else than 0.

For me it s 10 meters and no issue. BUT i always activate invulnerable vehicule in the cheat option.