Are the Kerbin Ice Caps Solid?

Hey folks, sorry for the odd question. I'm planning on doing the Elcano challenge (circumnavigating a planet by ground or by boat), except I plan to do it with a submersible. It's gonna be a long haul, but before I run off trying to helm some massive sub, I need to plot my course. My problem is, as one could easily see from a  map of Kerbin, there is no direct sea route to circumnavigate the globe.

My question is this, then: are the ice caps of Kerbin solid? Would a submersible be able to travel underneath them? It's been a long time since I last visited the ice caps, and I wasn't even looking to see if there was a gap under the ice.

Thanks in advance

-Bear

They're solid; ice caps, so far as I understand the way the game generates terrain, are sheer-walled landmasses that happen to be coloured snow-white.  The only way under them is to glitch the terrain.  There is no 100% aquatic circumnavigable route over Kerbin.  If you're doing it with a submersible, you can achieve a 95% circumnavigation; there's a small overland piece across an isthmus that still counts for the aquatic Elcano.  Of course, it requires that you make your vessel land-capable somehow.

Kerbin does have only one world ocean, so if you were to follow the shoreline, you would still end in the place where you started, but even though the total distance travelled is much greater than one circumnavigation, I have no idea whether they would accept this as an alternative 100% aquatic Elcano.  It would likely end up as part of a separate class if they took it, but it's a good point to make that Elcano himself was limited to oversea routes.

I have made a mental design for a submarine intended for endurance. On a side note, I don't really feel all that comfortable using mods, as I believe that if I can use only stock components with enough imagination, I can then already do almost anything. that, and I don't wanna get too over-reliant on modded parts.

4 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

I have made a mental design for a submarine intended for endurance. On a side note, I don't really feel all that comfortable using mods, as I believe that if I can use only stock components with enough imagination, I can then already do almost anything. that, and I don't wanna get too over-reliant on modded parts.

Admirable, and it's certainly doable, look at EJ and d'asfeld does to see how they can do it. 

However, the pots in the game aren't really designed for  Aquatic use. 

So using a  mod with pars designed specifically for that use case would make sense.

On 4/2/2018 at 4:48 AM, Lego_Prodigy said:

If you tell me how to make my MK2 planes go underwater and survive, I will go ahead and test it for you.

If you have the Mission Builder, you can launch from the bottom of the ocean. Of course, without ballast, you will float to the surface, but you can do.  This plane is actually a work in progress for a Laythe flyer (a bit rough around the edges, and in the first image grossly underpowered for Kerbin), but I just moved it to Kerbin to demonstrate.  

You can also see the giant cliff that is the edge of the polar area.

jXWy3pQh.png

atbqnt5h.png

You can, with enough power, launch from the bottom of the sea (my first day noodling around using the stock slim shuttle):

LmBnA5Nh.png

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.