Ditching problems.

So at some point or another, your mission goes south and you are gonna crash soon. Out of options, you decide to bail out, but realize you can't bail more than one pilot at a time via EVA. or this this not true? Please tell me if I can EVA both pilots at once, as I tend to use the MK2 parts most, which has two pilots.

Well, if you are a pure stock player, you better work on your clicking finger speed. 

Also, build a launch escape system into the Abort action group.  For planes, you can add a decoupler and some chutes to save the pod.  Of course, there isn't a stock mk2 decoupler, the mk2 exapnsion pack does have them though. 

I don't know how well EVA chutes (the mod) works with the new chutes in 1.4, but there is a auto eject module you can attach to all your inhabited modules and it will eject the kerbals fairly quickly. 

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/148345-141-eva-parachutes-ejection-seats-with-sound-multiple-parachutes/

Edited by Gargamel

Yes, you can easily bail out multiple krew members. There are a lot of little details that can mess you up, but in general it works just fine.

If you bail them out at over 550 m/s in the low atmosphere, they are likely to spaghettify and die. If you take so long to bail out the second one that they end up more than about 22km apart, one of them will get terminated. Or if you take so long to bail out the second one that his ship hits the ground and explodes, he won't make it either (surprise!).
So yeah: EVA the first, space to let go, [ to refocus the ship, wait for the static to clear, EVA the second, hit space to let go, open the PAW, activate the parachute, hit [ again to focus the first kerbal, open his PAW, activate his parachute, and you're done! But if they are more than 2.2km apart, that final [ won't work, and either you will have to wait for them to get closer or use map mode to switch focus.

Repeat if you have more than two in your ship. :)

Edited by bewing

8 hours ago, fourfa said:

‘P’ to activate chutes after EVA saves a lot of time in emergency bailouts :)

8 hours ago, bewing said:

Heh. True. All those keys to memorize is too much for my po' widdle brain. :D

That particular key is easy to remember, because it's what the kerbal is probably doing in his suit as he tries to remember how to activate the parachute.  :)

5 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

So how do I bail out both pilots with EVA chutes?

Same process that @bewing describes above:

1. EVA pilot #1
  2. Space bar to let go of ladder
  3. ] key to switch back to ship
  4. EVA pilot #2
  5. Space bar to let go of ladder
  6. P key to activate parachute
  7. Hit ] key until you're focused back on pilot #1 again
  8. P key to activate parachute.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.