[1.8.1 - 1.12.2] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.29.5 Release Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, pmborg said:

Hello @FreeThinker

I think that I found a way to avoid this problem, nevertheless the problem is there.

If the reactor start in editor already pre-set in "ultra dense lqddeuterium" mode this problem is not revealed or is avoided.

I will upload the video that will show a completely different behavior, ofc with same SW pack and versions and with the same spaceplane version, nothing changed except the pre-set of tri-alpha reactor.

Those atmospheric engines are quite power hungry for non KSPIE parts. I would like to test myself. I saw a link earlier to this vessel but can no longer find it. Could you resupply it?

30 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@pmborg Do you know at which version this was introduced? All I know 1.25 still worked fine, what about 1.15.2?

[1] The first post about these errors was this one:

At that time I just replaced the reactor for another one... and problem solved...

I think that the first version of this 1.8.1 was full ok at that time, I will check it.

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Those atmospheric engines are quite power hungry for non KSPIE parts. I would like to test myself. I saw a link earlier to this vessel but can no longer find it. Could you resupply it?

My pleasure:

https://kerbalx.com/pmborg/space1f

The file CKAN mentioned yesterday to install all mods probably needed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qhh9hrpl4a8af2/installed_mods-interstellar.ckan?dl=0

Edited by pmborg

37 minutes ago, pmborg said:

My pleasure:

https://kerbalx.com/pmborg/space1f

The file CKAN mentioned yesterday to install all mods probably needed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qhh9hrpl4a8af2/installed_mods-interstellar.ckan?dl=0

That one heck of a list, but I managed to install All I think using you ckan file.

However I still have a loading issue

69sB7vs.jpg

Edited by FreeThinker

13 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Everything seems to work as I expect to be. Not sure how it worked in 1.25

Not doing the pre-set:"tri-alpha"

Behavior:

[1] You mean work as expected after, pre-set "tri-alpha" reactor, right?  ("with aircraft like in upload")

[2] Try to deactivate the "tri-alpha", all electricity will be gone   ("with aircraft like in upload")

Zx3F31G.png

Edited by pmborg

After pre pre-set on editor:

rSouTUg.png

It seams that the tri-alpha when deactivated not only deactivate, it self but also deactivate all the others like Timberwind for example

All gone now after deactivation of tri-alpha:

97bQew1.png

Edited by pmborg

14 hours ago, pmborg said:

Here the action groups that might be helpful to test it:

IuEn8N5.png

It a beast of a vessel. But I noticed it Trust to Weight Ratio was a bit low.  If I may make a suggestion, replace the 2  nuclear Timberwind engines and the 2 atmospheric engines by 2 thermal antimatter reactors ( running on positron antimatter)  connected to 2 thermal turbojets and and add a Cyclotron Positron Factory to keep the positron storage replenished by the Tri Alpha. The Hydrogen Propellant tank could be replaced by Helium, Argon, Nitrogen, CO2 or Water). This will save you mass and give a lot more thrust to boost yourself into orbit on higher gravity planets. (and prevent meta gaming).

Edit: If you realy like the Atmospheric Engine part, I might be able to create a cloned part with integrated thermal antimatter reactor and thermal turbojet.

Edited by FreeThinker

55 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

It a beast of a vessel. But I noticed it Trust to Weight Ratio was a bit low.  If I may make a suggestion, replace the 2  nuclear Timberwind engines and the 2 atmospheric engines by 2 thermal antimatter reactors ( running on positron antimatter)  connected to 2 thermal turbojets and and add a Cyclotron Positron Factory to keep the positron storage replenished by the Tri Alpha. The Hydrogen Propellant tank could be replaced by Helium, Argon, Nitrogen, CO2 or Water). This will save you mass and give a lot more thrust to boost yourself into orbit on higher gravity planets. (and prevent meta gaming).

Edit: If you realy like the Atmospheric Engine part, I might be able to create a cloned part with integrated thermal antimatter reactor and thermal turbojet.

Hello,

Yes the vessel is complex, because was made to land, in any planet and takeoff, from it:
Kerbin, Mun, Mars, Duna and so on...

Was made to Takeoff and Land in VSTOL stile, because in a planet like Mars or Moon for example, ofc cannot land as a normal airplane, in a rocky and bumpy world, so I will land vertical like a real spaceship.

And can be used as Colony also if necessary while the factory assembly line and the workshop, we can construct anything... basically a remote VAB or SHP.

Its very interesting the land on Mars, with it, actually is quite similar of SpaceX's Starship, way of doing it.
( Using a proper angle of attack to create extra atmosphere friction, and that will give a lot of benefits for reentry and more control on the final descent )

Actually this space plane also have "extras" like a common jet fighter, for some special planets, like EVE.

Basically there are 3 types of engines:
(ASL dedicated, atmospheric ones)
(VSL dedicated, kerbstein ones)
(and mixed for same exceptional cases)

if the spaceship will be in a planet were, we cant use a pure ASL or VSL, because the atmosphere is the a region that by definition don't match any, those Timberwind engines, are what is needed.

The TWR is ok for 99% of planets and moons...

Normally I prefer to use near future technology, instead of "positron antimatter" for example.

ofc those can be replaced and maybe also tri-alpha can be replaced.

"If you realy like the Atmospheric Engine part, I might be able to create a cloned part with integrated thermal antimatter reactor and thermal turbojet. "

Yes indeed I like this "Atmospheric Engines" but I am not a big fan of a "integrated thermal antimatter reactor" on-board :S

Maybe there is another option...

42 minutes ago, pmborg said:

"If you realy like the Atmospheric Engine part, I might be able to create a cloned part with integrated thermal antimatter reactor and thermal turbojet. "

Yes indeed I like this "Atmospheric Engines" but I am not a big fan of a "integrated thermal antimatter reactor" on-board :S

Maybe there is another option...

Not sure why you have a problem with antimatter, its safer than nuclear and more realistic as the current electric powered atmospheric engines (which require about 1000 times less power than they should have).

Another useful way when looking to antimatter is as a power storage medium, like a battery, except its a lot more energy dense.  When kept as small quantities like a few gram, its reasonably safe when stored in static containment vessels.

Alternatively I could create a UDD thermal fusion engine variant more similar to  Z Pinch Airospike Fusion engine (but without high isp magnetic nozzle propellant modes).

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, pmborg said:

ofc those can be replaced and maybe also tri-alpha can be replaced.

Well then your in luck, I have some plans to allow the Kerbstein to also act as a limited electric power reactor, like in the TV series. It won't be as versitile and powerful as a dedicated power reaactor, but it will probably provide enough power for your vessel needs

Edited by FreeThinker

45 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Not sure why you have a problem with antimatter, its safer than nuclear and more realistic as the current electric powered atmospheric engines (which require about 1000 times less power than they should have).

Another useful way when looking to antimatter is as a power storage medium, like a battery, except its a lot more energy dense.  When kept as small quantities like a few gram, its reasonably safe when stored in static containment vessels.

Alternatively I could create a UDD thermal fusion engine variant more similar to  Z Pinch Airospike Fusion engine (but without high isp magnetic nozzle propellant modes).

" Alternatively I could create a UDD thermal fusion engine variant more similar to  Z Pinch Airospike Fusion engine (but without high isp magnetic nozzle propellant modes). "

This idea looks really interesting.

"I have some plans to allow the Kerbstein to also act as a limited electric power reactor, like in the TV series. "

And this is also very interesting :)

22 hours ago, pmborg said:

"I have some plans to allow the Kerbstein to also act as a limited electric power reactor, like in the TV series. "

And this is also very interesting :)

I added power production to the Kerbstein and suddenly see 2  instances of the Kerbstein appear on power managment, but only 1 appears to be visible on the vessel. Is there a hidden duplicat somewhere?

On 1/9/2020 at 2:29 PM, pmborg said:

" Alternatively I could create a UDD thermal fusion engine variant more similar to  Z Pinch Airospike Fusion engine (but without high isp magnetic nozzle propellant modes). "

This idea looks really interesting.

I'm thinking of adding it as a 3th gen fusion engine powered by Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor, with integrated Magnetohydrodynamic Electric Generator and Thermal Turbojet with Afterburner

Edited by FreeThinker

MIF uses magnetic fields to confine an initial warm, low-density plasma, and then compresses that plasma to fusion conditions, using an impulsive driver.

The "Magnetohydrodynamic Generator" (MHD generator) is a magnetohydrodynamic converter, that utilizes a "Brayton cycle" to transform thermal energy and kinetic energy directly into electricity.

Both posts, Sounds good!

55 minutes ago, pmborg said:

MIF uses magnetic fields to confine an initial warm, low-density plasma, and then compresses that plasma to fusion conditions, using an impulsive driver.

The "Magnetohydrodynamic Generator" (MHD generator) is a magnetohydrodynamic converter, that utilizes a "Brayton cycle" to transform thermal energy and kinetic energy directly into electricity.

Both posts, Sounds good!

Basicly you create fusion in a liquid creating superheated plasma which is then be partialy diverted  though a MHD to extract power before it is mixed with cold propellant to generate thrust. The propellant could technicality be anything as you are not using any heat exchangers. At least that is the conceptual idea

Edited by FreeThinker

14 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Basicly you create fusion in a liquid creating superheated plasma which is then diverted though a MHD to extract power before it is mixed with cold propellant to generate thrust. The propellant could technicality be anything as you are not using any heat exchangers. At least that is the conceptual idea

The "cold propellant" can be LqdHydrogen (-252,87 °C is cold enouf I think) for example.

1 hour ago, pmborg said:

The "cold propellant" can be LqdHydrogen (-252,87 °C is cold enouf I think) for example.

Technically you could use LqdHydrogen (or any cryogenic liquid) as open cycle cooling in the wall of the nozzle to allow much higher core temperature of the main propellant. This technique is also used with Gas Core Engines to achieve up to 9000s isp.

Edited by FreeThinker

Transmitting new experiments data:

More power can be produced by panel - more it will waste after retraction. Discharge rate numerically equals to Energy flow at moment when you push "retract solar panel" or "disable receiver" button.

Spoiler

New test craft was cheated to sun orbit. Energy flow from panel: 837 (btw, why it is decaying?)

tgdsnj1.png

And new screenshot a second later - discharging rate 836

TXMS9k4.png

•  
On 1/11/2020 at 12:10 AM, Siama said:

What about my poor solar panels? I've tested older versions from curseforge: KSPIE 1.23.8 for KSP 1.5.1 (and older) works as expected; KSPIE 1.24.1 for KSP 1.8.1, KSPIE 1.24.3 for KSP 1.5.1 and newer - fast charge leaking after retracting panel.

@FreeThinker

Until now for me this is the suspicious commit:

Problem was here?
https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/commit/3609a2e8c4719ee078b88c1d289f660f18f94a7d

Is within the time window where the bug was introduced:

Nov 15, 2019 |1.24.3.1| Bug of electricity leak Already There

Oct 12, 2019 |1.23.8.4| Bug Free

Edited by pmborg

On 1/11/2020 at 12:10 AM, Siama said:

What about my poor solar panels? I've tested older versions from curseforge: KSPIE 1.23.8 for KSP 1.5.1 (and older) works as expected; KSPIE 1.24.1 for KSP 1.8.1, KSPIE 1.24.3 for KSP 1.5.1 and newer - fast charge leaking after retracting panel.

hello @Siama do you confirm that the problem that you describe is similar to this:

Solar panels off:

KOSU1so.png

Panel on and chaos:

CPh9IKK.png

Hello. Please check couple of things: Does quicksave-quickload fix the chaos that has already begun (retract panel back before reloading to avoid waking this bug again)? Is it fine at night? If both "yes" then likely we have same issue here.

Spoiler

600MW leaking to nowhere. And it increasing over time.

eHtwXS2.png

Edited by Siama