Firefly Aerospace Discussion Thread

54 minutes ago, tater said:

That thing is bizarre.

They say:

Highly reusable — 75% (by cost) of flight hardware to be recovered and reused in later flights

• Innovative 2–stage design

Then show both "stages" of engines inside the same vehicle stage. Are they defining a "stage" by engines, not by dropping something? Could the aerospikes along with their associated LOX tanks (look like torpedoes in the cutaway) be ejected out the back when spent? Does it have some sort of drop tank that is 25% of vehicle cost?

Quite odd.

Perhaps they mean the heat shield and payload? After all, the Space Shuttle always had to replace some tiles after each flight.

Gonna try to catch their rocket launch today (I'm located within 200 miles of Vandenburg) before catching a movie at 7. Hopefully it gets off by then otherwise I'll have to see the pictures online.

Told the fam to lookup, hopefully they see something and everything goes off without a hitch :D

44 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Perhaps they mean the heat shield and payload? After all, the Space Shuttle always had to replace some tiles after each flight.

Interesting idea.

My friend and I were talking about TPS options for reuse the other day, and I was wondering if monolithic TPS was possible that was as easy to replace as a battery on an old-school flip phone. Have electric motors that power hooks. TPS is retracted as a unit to the hull, gets used a few times, then it is released, and replaced.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Interesting idea.

My friend and I were talking about TPS options for reuse the other day, and I was wondering if monolithic TPS was possible that was as easy to replace as a battery on an old-school flip phone. Have electric motors that power hooks. TPS is retracted as a unit to the hull, gets used a few times, then it is released, and replaced.

Maybe it'll be like a battery cover on a tv remote, with the latch on the back.

Edited by GuessingEveryDay
Punctuation.

It was going slower than expected, it reached supersonic late. I wonder if something actually blew up in the system or if the FTS went off due to an incorrect trajectory.
Great job for a first flight!

Edited by cubinator

I saw my movie, but didn't see anything with my own eyeballs for the launch, the marine layer came in and there was a giant hill outside of the movie theater. Saw it failed on the stream then booked it inside the theater just in-time ;D

I also just watched Scott Manley's video on the failure, about how it was probably an engine failure caused all the problems, due to each engine being responsible for an axis of gimbal, they probably tried to rid it out as long as possible to get it as far away from the pad/people as possible. Once it started flipping they hit the FTS button.

Looking forward to the next launch from Vandenburg, hopefully the weather holds up next time and I don't have a giant hill in my way next time haha!

24 minutes ago, MKI said:

Looking forward to the next launch from Vandenburg, hopefully the weather holds up next time and I don't have a giant hill in my way next time haha!

Should be a Starlink I believe, SpaceX is targeting mid september for the first west coast launch now