Has anybody collected a surface sample from an Easter Egg?

I have tried to get on top of a monolith through multiple skydiving attempts so I can collect a surface sample, but no luck so far. Has anybody already done this? It could be fun. You could easily get onto a Mun arch but I don't know where they are on the Mun and am too lazy to find out, so I'm still working on the Monolith near KSC.

Edited by Duck McFuddle

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

The monolith sits right on the border between the two. I found that out recently and now use it as a marker whenever I am farming at the KSC.

I'm confused. Driving my rover around, once I'm in either one I have to drive quite a way past the monolith before the biome changes.

So - halfway back to KSC, I'm still in Kerbin's Shores.

U1bpgIY.png

Once I'm in KSC though and turn around and go the other way, I have to go nearly to the water's edge before it changes back to Kerbin's Shores.

9H95DkT.png

Maybe the Kerbal sitting on top of the monolith is messing things up. I don't know.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

Don't know. I just know that as soon as I pass the Monolith, I've got Shores.

Interesting that both the narrow band scanner and the surface scanner don't register the KSC biomes - to them it's all part of Biome: Shores.

KUVEaGJ.png

Just now, mystifeid said:

Interesting that both the narrow band scanner and the surface scanner don't register the KSC biomes - to them it's all part of Biome: Shores.

I think that's normal, also if you jump and take an eva report, you're flying at the shores and not in any ksc biome. I think the KSC biomes are special in some way and not part of the actual biome map.

Yes, the KSC minibiomes are called minibiomes for a reason. They are very localized regions within the shores biome, and you have to do specific things to access them (ie. be touching the ground or a building).

And yes, there is a hysteresis effect on crossing biome boundaries. They don't flip to a new biome immediately, even though you crossed a boundary.

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I think that's normal, also if you jump and take an eva report, you're flying at the shores and not in any ksc biome. I think the KSC biomes are special in some way and not part of the actual biome map.

That happena with flying crew reports too. In the high end of the armosphere  you get an upper atmosphere report anywhere,  and in the low end,  you get different reports for different biomes. It will depend on the experiment I guess. Aome other experiments only provide "flying low" and "flyung high" reports.

Edited by Daniel Prates

4 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

That happena with flying crew reports too. In the high end of the armosphere  you get an upper atmosphere report anywhere,  and in the low end,  you get different reports for different biomes. It will depend on the experiment I guess. Aome other experiments only provide "flying low" and "flyung high" reports.

Yeah but you get eva flying reports from every biome in the game, except those special KSC ones.

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yeah but you get eva flying reports from every biome in the game, except those special KSC ones.

Its indeed strange how some places in the KSC are proper biomes for some experiments,  but aren't for others.

To comment the OP, I too think that there is room for improvement here. A surface sample from an anomaly would give you all the more reason to go there. Tracking and landing next to the polar cap's saucer,  for one, should at least reward you with decent science (and it's a saucer,  no less!)

3 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

To comment the OP, I too think that there is room for improvement here. A surface sample from an anomaly would give you all the more reason to go there. Tracking and landing next to the polar cap's saucer,  for one, should at least reward you with decent science (and it's a saucer,  no less!)

Good idea!!

MZxyycf.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.