The Drag Strip

104 m/s (360 kph)

Just beat my record, don't care how, just make sure you have a full stop at the end of the runway.

This is just a beating time, going faster is not that hard...

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

Edited by Triop

2 hours ago, Hummingbird Aerospace said:

Are you allowed to crash?

No, use breaks. ;)

4 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

A little faster again - 265.2m/s

Nice, keep pushing !

Here is some motivation: :cool:

5 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Yeah those ice sheets are great.

Anyway - here is 435.4m/s. No problem with stability - just stopping -  and I'm pretty sure it can go faster but I have to go out and am in a bit of a rush.

Nice !

482m/s seems to be my limit with anything analogous to this design and don't ask me to do it again. Plenty of times I ended up past the end of the runway after going that fast. Risky chutes and engine cutoff are all tied into the brakes action key (as well as the air-brakes) and there's a very fine line between punching the "b" key too early or too late. (I also hold the reverse key for the placebo effect).

gRrn6KR.png

Qfd5NXm.png

cmeEV7j.png

1OvauPk.png

SiSL30I.png

Edited by mystifeid

274.4  intact. I have gone faster, but not managed to stay on the runway.  At least Gemsby Kerman survived every time! She is very resilient.

By the way, how do you all keep those rover wheels from disintegrating?

Spoiler

IzOgMOr.png

wt1tPe0.png

Edited by Klapaucius

One or two (hundred) more attempts and I've reached 489.4m/s. In the absence of any more "motivation" this is my last submission. I've tried a lot of different things and have not limited myself to the one design but the same basic design has been the most successful. It would have been nice to get 500m/s but even risky drogues don't deploy at this speed so that other more extreme measures have to be considered. Today I have been lowering the wheel friction and attempting to slide. Sometimes I even get a wheel to blow out. But the turn at the end definitely helps. This time I have used three Vectors and Bill is a real hero for taking 20G's but stopping an extra 4 tons moving at nearly 500m/s is no fun.

NJKj72j.png

4w4o1B9.png

WiZzTYg.png

V4XtOOJ.png

pPrPAnu.png

7 hours ago, Steel Starling said:

What exactly are the specific rules of this challenge? Is staging allowed? Can the vehicle leave the ground when it is trying to stop? Etc.

Hmmm... interesting. If staging was allowed, would that mean that the ENTIRE vehicle doesn't have to stop? I think that would kind of go against the spirit of the challenge, but it gives me a crazy idea.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.