[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

On 7/3/2016 at 5:08 AM, cybutek said:

To get KER in-flight whilst playing career using the default settings can be done by:

1. Using one of the KER parts.
2. Having an engineer kerbal on-board (who hopefully knows how to use a slide-rule).
3. Upgrade to a level three tracking station so that KER will always be usable without parts or an engineer on-board.

These options can be turned on and off to taste under the settings in the VAB. An example of why you may want to alter these would be so that later on in a career you can turn off the tracking station so that you still require an engineer kerbal or part for difficulty or immersion reasons etc.

Hope this helps :)

I got it all.. the part worked, what I completely forget was the level 3 tracking station.

23 hours ago, Chrisomega123 said:

Annoying severe lag spikes with vessels with high part counts. When I uninstalled just this mod, the lagspikes were greatly reduced and often just went away.

Running KSP 1.1.3, heavily modded.

Love the mod though.

I've seen the same behaviour. I remember a squadcast from a few weeks ago, if I'm not wrong @NathanKell mentioned, that most of the stutter is related to old UI code and needs to be  updated on the mod side. Maybe guys with more knowledge can explain it more exactly.

While waiting for the next version of KER to be released you are welcome to try out this build of the latest changes.  This includes the target lat/long, fixes for true anomaly being in radians and a fix to make stage priority flow engines calculate correctly (e.g. for multi-stage ion vessels).  Simply download the file linked below (after making sure you have KER 1.1.1.0 installed first) and extract the DLL from the zip into your GameData\KerbalEngineer folder.  It will display "(Pad)" or "p" after the version number to distinguish it from the current release.

KerbalEngineer_1.1.1.0p.zip

On 7/10/2016 at 2:20 PM, Daveroski said:

I am going to be starting a new career and would like to use this mod.

Are there any known bugs with this mod that affect the current version of KSP?

As an alternative, MechJeb has an "orbital" and "delta-v" window which provides most of the same information.  There's a few missing bits like "distance to target" and part counts / cost of each stage while in the VAB/SPH.  I usually run KER, but am skipping it in 1.1.3.

(That being said, the KER HUD panels are wonderful.)

Mad props to @Padishar for that [STAGE_PRIORTY] fix.  I got a chance to test it out today, and in respect for the rapid response, do present the timeliest feedback I could muster.   Here are my findings:

It is a huge improvement, but my designs clearly push it a bit too far.  It seems to get confused when any ion engines are dropped, assuming that all of them must've been, and so making sure to burn all the xenon aboard before doing so.  It also doesn't like dealing with my pairwise staging after the spreader plate... 'lot of stages get conflated.  Where it works, though, it matches my spreadsheet nigh exactly.

It also likes to deny clicks every now and again, in fact greying out the editor buttons, and even preventing scrolling until the cursor's removed from the affected part and hasn't landed on another.  It's described in the last image of the album.  I'm also guessing it's an unrelated glitch that was likely already in the 1.1.1 version.

That being said, it looks like the issue's almost solved (main issue resolution unmasking minor problems elsewhere, typical software development flow).  Just more evidence for KER being The Best Mod. :D

4 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Mad props to @Padishar for that [STAGE_PRIORTY] fix.  I got a chance to test it out today, and in respect for the rapid response, do present the timeliest feedback I could muster.   Here are my findings:

Thanks for the feedback, it's looking better but there may not be much more I can do without more substantial changes to how the code determines when to fire the next stage.  At the moment, the code builds a list for each stage of parts that prevent the next stage from firing.  This includes any tanks decoupled by the next stage that contain fuel for the active engines and any of the active engines that are decoupled.  It will then only fire the next stage once all the tanks are empty and all the engines have stopped.  The problem that has been fixed was that the engines were drawing the fuel from the wrong tanks (usually all tanks together) so the tanks in the "don't stage" list never emptied until all the fuel was used on the vessel, then all the following stages have no fuel to burn and read 0 m/s.  The problem with your vessel that decouples engines is that the 6 engines you decouple don't actually stop burning because they have access to the fuel in the other stages.  I can probably fix this bit (without introducing other serious issues) by tweaking the rules slightly so that engines that use this fuel flow mode can be decoupled while they are still active (possibly only if there will still be other engines left on the vessel).  I also suspect that at least one of your vessels doesn't actually arrange the staging in the same order as the fuel is drained which will be confusing things.  Can you upload a zip with some of these vessels so I can give them a try (PM me a link if you don't want them public)?

17 hours ago, Padishar said:

Thanks for the feedback, it's looking better but there may not be much more I can do without more substantial changes to how the code determines when to fire the next stage.  At the moment, the code builds a list for each stage of parts that prevent the next stage from firing.  This includes any tanks decoupled by the next stage that contain fuel for the active engines and any of the active engines that are decoupled.  It will then only fire the next stage once all the tanks are empty and all the engines have stopped.  The problem that has been fixed was that the engines were drawing the fuel from the wrong tanks (usually all tanks together) so the tanks in the "don't stage" list never emptied until all the fuel was used on the vessel, then all the following stages have no fuel to burn and read 0 m/s.  The problem with your vessel that decouples engines is that the 6 engines you decouple don't actually stop burning because they have access to the fuel in the other stages.  I can probably fix this bit (without introducing other serious issues) by tweaking the rules slightly so that engines that use this fuel flow mode can be decoupled while they are still active (possibly only if there will still be other engines left on the vessel).  I also suspect that at least one of your vessels doesn't actually arrange the staging in the same order as the fuel is drained which will be confusing things.  Can you upload a zip with some of these vessels so I can give them a try (PM me a link if you don't want them public)?

That is really quite interesting.  Oh dear, I hope I haven't messed up the staging on those monsters, that'd be annoying to fix.  Can do.  I'll see if I can't gin up some simpler examples that still exhibit the issues, preferably in isolation, and toss in the a-variant there as well.  That thing's already public, having been made because I kinda took someone's request for help with an interstellar craft as a challenge.

5 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Seems it's ignoring actual stage order drawing from stages the same number of decouplers out at the same time.

Yes, this is basically how the stage priority flow mode works.  It actually uses an internal part variable called "inverseStage".  For things like engines and decouplers this indicates which stage the part is activated in but for fuel tanks it is set according to the number of decouplers between the tank and the root part of the vessel.  For these sorts of vessels it is always a good idea to test the vessel on the pad to make sure the tanks drain in the correct order, e.g. you can hang the root part off a tall launch clamp (in stage 0).  It can also be useful to mod the engine so that it has a much higher fuel flow rate so the tests don't take so long...

I'll try to take a look at the decoupling of stage priority engines in the next couple of days.

Edited by Padishar

On 7/17/2016 at 6:37 AM, Padishar said:

Yes, this is basically how the stage priority flow mode works.  It actually uses an internal part variable called "inverseStage".  For things like engines and decouplers this indicates which stage the part is activated in but for fuel tanks it is set according to the number of decouplers between the tank and the root part of the vessel.  For these sorts of vessels it is always a good idea to test the vessel on the pad to make sure the tanks drain in the correct order, e.g. you can hang the root part off a tall launch clamp (in stage 0).  It can also be useful to mod the engine so that it has a much higher fuel flow rate so the tests don't take so long...

Yup, 'just tried launching the mono radial shenanigans test craft on some clamps, and that is very much the case.  I can fake it out with dummy decouplers, but that's...kinda dumb.  'Sounds like my pair-wise staging below that spreader plate does in fact not work as I thought it does, meaning my spreadsheet's wrong for both designs.  Is it known if that's really the behaviour SQUAD intended, though?

EDIT: huh, 'seems like it is, in fact: 

Edited by Archgeek
Confirmation of dev intent

14 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Welcome to the forums.

Do you mean KSP 1.1.3?  If so, yes.

I was referring to KSP version 1.3 not 1.1.3. I haven't seen anything saying it doesn't work but can't get it to work.

Thank you for the warm welcome. 

Edited by Noman

11 minutes ago, Noman said:

I was referring to KSP version 1.3 not 1.1.3. I haven't seen anything saying it doesn't work but can't get it to work.

Thank you for the warm welcome. 

There is no such thing as KSP version 1.3.  The latest version is 1.1.3.

8 minutes ago, Padishar said:

There is no such thing as KSP version 1.3.  The latest version is 1.1.3.

heh. Somehow i got that confused. But seriously for some reason i install KER into my KSP directory but in game there is no option to bring up the displays. In sandbox mode.

Sorry for all my pointless posts i just managed to fix my problem sorry for the hassle.

Edited by Noman

33 minutes ago, Noman said:

heh. Somehow i got that confused. But seriously for some reason i install KER into my KSP directory but in game there is no option to bring up the displays. In sandbox mode.

Sorry for all my pointless posts i just managed to fix my problem sorry for the hassle.

Hey, it happens.  The people here are very good at providing excellent help as long as you treat them nicely; remember they're all unpaid gamers and modders. Don't be shy about asking questions but provide as much info concerning your problem as you can.  There's a post around here somewhere on how to submit log files.  I'll post when I find it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, elogateumsato said:

Is it possible to move KER windows between installs? I have multiple installs trying out different mods etc, and it would be really nice if i can just keep my KER windows the same between each install without setting it up every time. 

Copy the contents of the Gamedata/KerbalEngineer/Settings folder to your new install and your customizations should carry over.

From time to time KSP crash when switching vessel using the Rendezvous target selector

NRE

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Rendezvous.TargetSelector.DrawTarget (KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule section) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Readouts.Rendezvous.TargetSelector.Draw (KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule section) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.DrawReadoutModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionModule.Draw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KerbalEngineer.Flight.Sections.SectionWindow.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kd548FeSEpSVlSSmhvQm9uUms/view?usp=sharing

Hello!

This issue I have has been around for quite some time, but I thought why not post it here now so someone can take a look at it again.

My issue is, that KER shows "0 deltaV" and "0s" for stages that have currently running engines. This is with RealFuels. Solid fuel seems to show fine so I guess there are some problems with engine modules?

DeltaV readouts and stage remaining time shows 0 only while the engine on that stage is running, and once I shut it down the readout shows the correct numbers again.

It would help if this could be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 5:02 PM, Noman said:

I'm curious what you did as I seem to be having the same problem. KER is clearly there, because the parts are there, but when I install the KER part to the rocket, I don't get the KER window. Is there a troubleshooting doc somewhere? I've searched around but can't find it.

I now seem to have the KER window back after re-installing KER and NOT allowing AVC to check for updates.

Edited by qoonpooka
problem fixed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.