[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

30 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

@Padishar Any chance of getting 'AoA' in the customizable HUDs? This is quite valuable info when hypercruising to see if numbers are trending positively/negatively, and thereby gaining/loosing drag. The navball is not accurate enough to get those small but critical desimals at extreme speeds.

I thought there already was an AoA readout but it looks like I was mistaken.  It's very simple to calculate the angle between the vessel's "forward" direction and the velocity vector but this wouldn't indicate positive or negative pitch and would treat yaw as also being AoA.  This would be fairly useful for rockets though less so for planes.  It isn't very much harder to also account for the vessel's "up" direction, effectively giving pitch +/- and yaw +/- readouts relative to the velocity vector.  I guess degrees with 1 decimal place will probably be accurate enough.  I'll try to implement this fairly soon.

9 minutes ago, Padishar said:

This [AoA] would be fairly useful for rockets though less so for planes

Beg to differ. When flying planes at mach 7+ it is critical to keep an eye on the AoA. If it slowly creeps upwards then the air intakes will start to loose flow, the drag increases and sooner or later everthing comes to a halt.
-But thanks for implementing ^_^

1 minute ago, SkyKaptn said:

Beg to differ. When flying planes at mach 7+ it is critical to keep an eye on the AoA. If it slowly creeps upwards then the air intakes will start to loose flow, the drag increases and sooner or later everthing comes to a halt.
-But thanks for implementing ^_^

I mean the sort that simply shows the angle between the vessel forward and the velocity.  If you yaw 10 degrees to the left it will read 10, but your wings won't be generating 10 degrees worth of lift.  With a rocket, all you usually care about is the angle off prograde so you don't turn too sharply, pitch and yaw for most rockets are basically the same.

4 hours ago, Vaporized Steel said:

Unlike Mechjeb in V 1.1.3 KER actually still works even although the game says it's unsupported for the current version of KSP.
This is very good news! Go KER!

MechJeb only had an issue with the change in the KSP warp back end; KER doesn't use that KSP API AFAIK.  MechJeb has a fixed version out now anyhoo.

11 minutes ago, Clyde Jones said:

I have this problem where it won't let me leave the R&D center sense I installed KER and it is the only mod i have installed. Any ideas?

Please post a log file as described in this thread:

...and we may have some hope of helping you...

4 hours ago, Clyde Jones said:

I have this problem where it won't let me leave the R&D center sense I installed KER and it is the only mod i have installed. Any ideas?

I had this problem in a save game, it was the mission control and VaB for me and  with only a couple mods and KER was not one of them.. I simply started a new test save game and the problem was not present with the same mods installed it was only with my old savegame from the previous version.. So if you are using an old save, I think it more something in the save than an actually mod. Just my guess.

Of course I had removed and updated some mods, as some were causing other problems like launch clamps not releasing, so I think the save is looking for something and it cant find it. I don't know much about modding, but just wanted to give my experience is all since it was the same issue.

edit:. Want to add that I just started a new save intended to be my new game for 1.13. I add a few mods including the KER version on the first page, and I have no issues leaving any of the buildings. It was only my old save from 1.12 that had this issue as stated above even without KER

Edited by Hevak

6 hours ago, Padishar said:

@Clyde Jones, I meant the bit that talks about uploading the output_log.txt file from the KSP_Data folder.  The game (and mods) log all sorts of useful things into this file which should show what is going on...

Which is better/preferred?  The output_log or the KSP.log file?

4 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

The "output_log.txt" because it includes the complete stack traces.

Actually, the KSP.log was changed in a fairly recent version to include more detailed stack traces though there is other info in output_log.txt that is very helpful for diagnostic purposes.  On the other hand, the KSP.log includes timestamps which can be very helpful when trying to diagnose some issues...

In this case, I specifically asked for the output_log.txt so that should definitely be considered better... :wink:

Read a few posts back, didn't see anyone report this issue yet, so I guess I'm the first.

IIRC 1.1.3 changed the way Orbital mechanics are calculated, the exact nature is beyond me, it might not be relevant even, all I know is I am now seeing wild fluctuations in KER Altitude (Terrain) readings at the 100's meter level. I used hyper edit to get to orbit around Eve, so I know it's a stable orbit, and it usually shows the right readout with 0.1 fluctuations. It'll then suddenly climb 500m rapidly then down 500m back to baseline.

Also appears to be around Kerbin as well (so it's not a one off).

This is with the HUD readout.

Linux 64 bit. From looking at the log, KER seems to be functioning as normal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a noob question and slightly embarrassed about this too.  I have been playing KSP for just about a year, I have always used KER and I have always played Career.  I am aware of the "partless" option, what would prevent KER from now displaying information outside of the VAB?

I have also been using:
MechJebAndEngineerForAll.cfg as well.

I ask, as I started a new career [unmanned fore manned] and the only way that I can get the KER info outside the editor it to attach the part.  What am I missing?

Thanks.

On 2016. 06. 24. at 0:59 AM, Deimos Rast said:

I am now seeing wild fluctuations in KER Altitude (Terrain) readings at the 100's meter level. I used hyper edit to get to orbit around Eve, so I know it's a stable orbit, and it usually shows the right readout with 0.1 fluctuations. It'll then suddenly climb 500m rapidly then down 500m back to baseline.

Are you sure this is an issue?

The terrain altitude is supposed to be your distance from the terrain, as in radar altitude, right? If so, while you're orbiting a planet, you can fly over lots of terrain differences in a short period of time. Try a low orbit around Kerbin and fly above an ocean, it should be steady IMO.

16 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I have a noob question and slightly embarrassed about this too.  I have been playing KSP for just about a year, I have always used KER and I have always played Career.  I am aware of the "partless" option, what would prevent KER from now displaying information outside of the VAB?

I have also been using:
MechJebAndEngineerForAll.cfg as well.

I ask, as I started a new career [unmanned fore manned] and the only way that I can get the KER info outside the editor it to attach the part.  What am I missing?

Thanks.

To get KER in-flight whilst playing career using the default settings can be done by:

1. Using one of the KER parts.
2. Having an engineer kerbal on-board (who hopefully knows how to use a slide-rule).
3. Upgrade to a level three tracking station so that KER will always be usable without parts or an engineer on-board.

These options can be turned on and off to taste under the settings in the VAB. An example of why you may want to alter these would be so that later on in a career you can turn off the tracking station so that you still require an engineer kerbal or part for difficulty or immersion reasons etc.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by cybutek

Annoying severe lag spikes with vessels with high part counts. When I uninstalled just this mod, the lagspikes were greatly reduced and often just went away.

Running KSP 1.1.3, heavily modded.

Love the mod though.

Edited by Chrisomega123

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.