[1.12.x] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages

linuxgurugamer

Can  you add support for glide-back boosters?  ie boosters with wings that glide too a landing like a plane? IRL There was a concept or something with booster wings like this:

Spoiler

vLA2mUP.png

Idk how hard itd be, in all honesty. but itd be cool.

23 hours ago, 123nick said:

Can  you add support for glide-back boosters?  ie boosters with wings that glide too a landing like a plane? IRL There was a concept or something with booster wings like this:

Reveal hidden contents

vLA2mUP.png

Idk how hard itd be, in all honesty. but itd be cool.

Anything is possible, but...

1. Adding "cool" things is nice, but if it's not used, then it's wasted effort
  2. It's more complicated than you might expect.  Would need to look at the wings to calculate lift, look at (possible) landing gear, look at paracutes.
  3. Other than you, no one has ever expressed any interest in this

You can try using FMRS to actually do it yourself in flight

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Anything is possible, but...

1. Adding "cool" things is nice, but if it's not used, then it's wasted effort
  2. It's more complicated than you might expect.  Would need to look at the wings to calculate lift, look at (possible) landing gear, look at paracutes.
  3. Other than you, no one has ever expressed any interest in this

You can try using FMRS to actually do it yourself in flight

How would FMRS work if im also using KSTS and Stage Recovery? idk if KSTS would properly record it if theres a staging incident. 

2 hours ago, 123nick said:

How would FMRS work if im also using KSTS and Stage Recovery? idk if KSTS would properly record it if theres a staging incident. 

You need to install the Recovery Controller, which you use to decide which will be used to recover specific stages

28 minutes ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

I have a question, does Stage Recovery actually support air-launches(by recovering planes) or should I try something else?

Not as such, although you might get lucky.  I'd try it in a test save and see, please let us know if it works

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not as such, although you might get lucky.  I'd try it in a test save and see, please let us know if it works

I've tried it a few times in the past, every time the plane ended up breaking up, but some times the broken up parts would be recovered, Im not sure why the planes would go out of control when the rockets were launched though.

1 hour ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

I've tried it a few times in the past, every time the plane ended up breaking up, but some times the broken up parts would be recovered, Im not sure why the planes would go out of control when the rockets were launched though.

If you flew the plane by itself, and had the Kerbal jump out, would the plane continue to fly straight and level?

1 hour ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

I just turn the flat model on and crank the distance up to 100%, it basically recovers everything. I'm sure it would work for planes and fly back boosters. Maybe an option for 100% recovery would save having to program a bunch of new stuff into the mod.

I used the stock Stratolauncher and it recovered the plane for 100%. Turn on distance override, enable flat rate model, turn all the settings on the right side to max but leave powered TWR at 1.0.

Edited by reducing

How should this mod work? Does it retrieve parts that are in or out of physics range? Or doesn't it matter?

In the description it tells that I only need to put parachutes in my stages without deploying them; but in another place it tells to deploy them with the stage separation...

And why I should set my parachutes to open at Min Pressure of 0.5?

7 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

I found a bug:

In the VAB, sometime I'm not able to place struts:

https://imgur.com/a/LODc4Lz (Upper stage of the "Acapello" stock vessel)

KSP.log: https://pastebin.com/3D0W618e

Player.log: https://pastebin.com/C5wScSq8

What does this have to do with Stage Recovery?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What does this have to do with Stage Recovery?

I tested it in stock and it works normal. Then I just installed this mod (and dependencies) and this bug appeared.

I have no idea what might be going on, but I'm pretty sure this mod is causing it! It took me a while to find out amidst the various mods I have installed!

11 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

I tested it in stock and it works normal. Then I just installed this mod (and dependencies) and this bug appeared.

I have no idea what might be going on, but I'm pretty sure this mod is causing it! It took me a while to find out amidst the various mods I have installed!

Fair enough.  I'll take a look at it in the next few days

21 hours ago, Dominiquini said:

I found a bug:

In the VAB, sometime I'm not able to place struts:

https://imgur.com/a/LODc4Lz (Upper stage of the "Acapello" stock vessel)

KSP.log: https://pastebin.com/3D0W618e

Player.log: https://pastebin.com/C5wScSq8

I may have a work-around for you.  This also might clear something up for me as I've been having the same issue but had no idea the source. 

I'm on linux so am not sure what key you might need to use, but whatever modifier key you use to copy a part (for me it is r-shift, left click, so i think on windows that is left-alt, left click) when you are placing the second end of the strut.  Please post if this works for you as I'm curious.  

There are times that KSP gets the mass of the craft wrong (typically a huge amount over) in the editor, which throws off the stock/staging dv and mass values.   This can carry over into flight mode with incorrect calculated burn durations and burn start times.  What I've noticed that is relevant to SR is that while KER, kOS, and Mechjeb still report the proper mass and dv even when stock gets it wrong, SR seems to get its info from the erroneous stock craft info and in the editor will require a huge number of parachutes to get a favorable descent rate, and occasionally I get failed recoveries with ridiculous terminal velocities that would logically correlate with the same incorrect inflated mass.  I wonder if the craft mass value could be attained in SR in the same way that kOS, KER, and Mechjeb appear to do it.  It would be a big win. 

I've also noticed KER going off on the same tangent, but much less often (strange that it would apparently sometimes make the same mistake as stock, but not always).  Tweakscale might be involved, but I replicated the problem in a craft that only had one tweaked part, a battery.

Edited by darthgently

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 12:23 PM, darthgently said:

I may have a work-around for you.  This also might clear something up for me as I've been having the same issue but had no idea the source. 

I'm on linux so am not sure what key you might need to use, but whatever modifier key you use to copy a part (for me it is r-shift, left click, so i think on windows that is left-alt, left click) when you are placing the second end of the strut.  Please post if this works for you as I'm curious.  

@darthgently Apologies for the delay. I had uninstalled this mod.
But I installed it again and tested what you suggested (in Windows it's the 'ALT' key) and it worked! I managed to put the strut. But I didn't understand why it would make any difference!

Thanks.

Edited by Dominiquini

On 7/12/2021 at 6:54 PM, Dominiquini said:

@darthgently Apologies for the delay. I had uninstalled this mod.
But I installed it again and tested what you suggested (in Windows it's the 'ALT' key) and it worked! I managed to put the strut. But I didn't understand why it would make any difference!

Thanks.

I stumbled on this solution by randomly trying things when I was almost done with a craft then this editor-kraken reared up.  It works for fuel lines also, and sometimes for those glitches when one isn't able to place complex parts in symmetry.  More of a dice role in the last case.

Another trick is when the editor won't let you delete a part that has been picked up by the cursor, nor let you place it or drop it.  Just select another part from the left and the held part will delete.  Voodoo!   Come on, KSP2!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, Dominiquini said:

Found a bug:

GW7DzHz.png

* Wrong message on stage recover fail: "Terminal velocity of 80.71) (less than 12 needed)"

Thanks.

I agree with Starwaster, I see nothing wrong here. It seems you just had the SRB and a decoupler. You had no parachutes on it to slow down so it was moving at 80.71 m/s (terminal velocity) when it hit the ground. You need to add parachute(s) so the velocity is below 12

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.