[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

@Sigma88 @Thomas P. looks like land control scatter objects are broken (or something changed) with Kopernicus 1.3.0-3 and 1.3.0-4. I had to roll back to 1.3.2-2 to get the scatter back. Did something change with LandControl? Stock works, so I figure its something with my configs (that have worked fine until 1.3.0-3) 

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

@Sigma88 @Thomas P. looks like land control scatter objects are broken (or something changed) with Kopernicus 1.3.0-3 and 1.3.0-4. I had to roll back to 1.3.2-2 to get the scatter back. Did something change with LandControl? Stock works, so I figure its something with my configs (that have worked fine until 1.3.0-3) 

Have you only tried on a full GPP install? Or have you also tried to edit just the landcontrol to make sure there are no other bugs interfering with it and breaking the landcontrol as a side effect?

4 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Have you only tried on a full GPP install? Or have you also tried to edit just the landcontrol to make sure there are no other bugs interfering with it and breaking the landcontrol as a side effect?

I tried using stock and just editing the LC as well

here is a test I put together and all the necessary files needed for troubleshooting

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy9lqr6nuotmpj7/KopernicusLCtest.zip?dl=0

the only thing I haven't done was test it without custom textures, but I doubt that's the issue

Edited by Galileo

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I tried using stock and just editing the LC as well

here is a test I put together and all the necessary files needed for troubleshooting

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy9lqr6nuotmpj7/KopernicusLCtest.zip?dl=0

the only thing I haven't done was test it without custom textures, but I doubt that's the issue

I will take a look as soon as I have some time

Unless @Thomas P. solves it first

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, Sigma88 said:

then it's probably an issue with moving the "SpaceCenter" component instead of moving the KSC building to the hardcoded position of stock KSC

This ended up being caused by your other big clue, that more than one world used the Kerbin template. This is solved by making sure only the home world uses the Kerbin template.

Cloning Kerbin without the Kerbin template

It appears having multiple worlds using Kerbin's template causes some strangeness. The obvious solution is, "don't do that," and for the moment my Alien Space Programs fork is using Laythe's template as a placeholder for Kerbin while I work out the rest of the system's details.

Before I spend a whole mess of time trying to re-create Kerbin, but without using the Kerbin template, has anyone done this before? I essentially want a pristine Kerbin untouched by kerbal civilization, then I'll put back some of the odder artifacts like the pyramids, crashed UFO and others. I have the kittopia-dumps content to work with, and if that ScanSat height map is useful I can use that too.

[...random ramblings follow...]

I have tried this once... my thoughts went, "ok, I have the data from kittopia-dumps, so I'll just re-create Kerbin using that." Not so, apparently. There's no height map for Kerbin in the kittopia-dumps, and I can't just dump it using kittopia because the config uses the BUILTIN textures for the height map and Kopernicus complains that's not a valid texture to use because of its current state, or something; I'll post the relevant exception here later tonight. And I could extract the height map texture from KSP 1.0.5, but that would run afoul of the modding rules and KSP EULA since that resides outside of GameData.

I ended up extracting (painfully) a height map from a stock game using ScanSat. When I went to apply that, the terrain was distorted up close with plenty of holes, like an old Populous map after inflicting the Flood spell on it. Landing on the resulting world was impossible as landed craft would 'impact' the surface even as slow as 0.1 m/s. Any pieces that survived would have a non-zero speed in the map view and have a situation of "flying" with a speed that matched whatever the orbital speed was. Re-entry glow would apply to rock faces.

Basically, an all-around bad time. As fascinating and amusing as it was to observe, that's not really useful to game play.

1 hour ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Cloning Kerbin without the Kerbin template

It appears having multiple worlds using Kerbin's template causes some strangeness. The obvious solution is, "don't do that," and for the moment my Alien Space Programs fork is using Laythe's template as a placeholder for Kerbin while I work out the rest of the system's details.

Before I spend a whole mess of time trying to re-create Kerbin, but without using the Kerbin template, has anyone done this before? I essentially want a pristine Kerbin untouched by kerbal civilization, then I'll put back some of the odder artifacts like the pyramids, crashed UFO and others. I have the kittopia-dumps content to work with, and if that ScanSat height map is useful I can use that too.

[...random ramblings follow...]

I have tried this once... my thoughts went, "ok, I have the data from kittopia-dumps, so I'll just re-create Kerbin using that." Not so, apparently. There's no height map for Kerbin in the kittopia-dumps, and I can't just dump it using kittopia because the config uses the BUILTIN textures for the height map and Kopernicus complains that's not a valid texture to use because of its current state, or something; I'll post the relevant exception here later tonight. And I could extract the height map texture from KSP 1.0.5, but that would run afoul of the modding rules and KSP EULA since that resides outside of GameData.

I ended up extracting (painfully) a height map from a stock game using ScanSat. When I went to apply that, the terrain was distorted up close with plenty of holes, like an old Populous map after inflicting the Flood spell on it. Landing on the resulting world was impossible as landed craft would 'impact' the surface even as slow as 0.1 m/s. Any pieces that survived would have a non-zero speed in the map view and have a situation of "flying" with a speed that matched whatever the orbital speed was. Re-entry glow would apply to rock faces.

Basically, an all-around bad time. As fascinating and amusing as it was to observe, that's not really useful to game play.

using the kittopia-dumps should be the way to go

it's weird that you get errors, maybe some of the dumps are outdated?

I will check and see what's going on

I tried another test of the LandControl issue, editing Kerbin, removing the LandControl PQS and adding it back from the kittopia dumps. The scatter doesn't appear. It seems as though as soon as the user defines a land control node, the scatter doesn't work. It's odd and I hope it can be resolved easily.

Edited by Galileo

18 hours ago, Galileo said:

I tried another test of the LandControl issue, editing Kerbin, removing the LandControl PQS and adding it back from the kittopia dumps. The scatter doesn't appear. It seems as though as soon as the user defines a land control node, the scatter doesn't work. It's odd and I hope it can be resolved easily.

editing the LandControl works tho, so you might want to try that route until I can understand what the issue is here

Just now, Sigma88 said:

editing the LandControl works tho, so you might want to try that route until I can understand what the issue is here

So if I just edit it? ok cool that will be a tedious task but worth it if it works.

Just now, Galileo said:

So if I just edit it? ok cool that will be a tedious task but worth it if it works.

not really much more tedious than making a new one...

if you show me the old cfg I can tell you where it needs fixing

18 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

not really much more tedious than making a new one...

if you show me the old cfg I can tell you where it needs fixing

There are two different ones that don't work. These are for GPP, but all of my visual mods use the same settings basically. 

this one:
https://thepasteb.in/p/2RhJc2VZEZDoLSz

and this one:
https://thepasteb.in/p/j2hMc7k9qVPEXHj

7 minutes ago, Galileo said:

There are two different ones that don't work. These are for GPP, but all of my visual mods use the same settings basically. 

this one:
https://thepasteb.in/p/2RhJc2VZEZDoLSz

and this one:
https://thepasteb.in/p/j2hMc7k9qVPEXHj

I assume you have removePQSGroups = PQSLandControl

have you tried not removing the original landcontrol?

I think most of your setting will overwrite it anyways

4 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I assume you have removePQSGroups = PQSLandControl

have you tried not removing the original landcontrol?

I think most of your setting will overwrite it anyways

I have removePQSMods = PQSLandControl

and yes I have tried not removing it. Trees appear, but not the ones I had defined and no boulders

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have removePQSMods = PQSLandControl

and yes I have tried not removing it. Trees appear, but not the ones I had defined and no boulders

do you use the same names as stock for the classes? or did you change them?

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

They were changed. You help me write them :D 

try this:

make sure you don't have "PQSLandControl" in the list "removePQSMods"

and add these classes to your landcontrol:

Class
{
	name = BaseBeach
	delete = True
}
Class
{
	name = BaseMountains
	delete = True
}
Class
{
	name = BaseSnow
	delete = True
}
Class
{
	name = Tundra
	delete = True
}
Class
{
	name = DesertMountains
	delete = True
}
Class
{
	name = RockyGround
	delete = True
}
Class
{
	name = Savannah
	delete = True
}

20 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Could you upload the body log?

here you go

https://thepasteb.in/p/Q1hEckE10Mx6DSD
this is with LandControl not removed and the classes you had me add

And here is the body log from my normal cfg that worked until 1.3.0-3
https://thepasteb.in/p/48hQcWg4ZNRKoHl

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

here you go

https://thepasteb.in/p/Q1hEckE10Mx6DSD
this is with LandControl not removed and the classes you had me add

And here is the body log from my normal cfg that worked until 1.3.0-3
https://thepasteb.in/p/48hQcWg4ZNRKoHl

I can't see anything wrong in the logs, try opening an issue on github and link there all the information you have

so that thomas might take a look when he has some time

I managed to clone Kerbin, roughly, using that ScanSat height map and using Duna as a template with "removeAllPQSMods = true." This result behaved better, with the terrain being more forgiving and logical. I used the majority of the current kerbin.cfg from kittopia-dumps. For some reason I had to omit everything inside PhysicsMaterial {} because Kopernicus couldn't interpret anything inside it.

That wasn't as bad, though, as not being able to use BUILTIN\kerbin_height_new in VertexHeightMap {} or in RemoveQuadMap {} in the ocean config. I ended up having to use my ScanSat height map everywhere kerbin_height_new would have been used. Is there some reason this built-in texture isn't usable more than once?

If I substituted the built-in texture with the ScanSat height map I extracted, everything works as I'd expect. This terrain is very rough, like that Populous sunken map I mentioned, or like a massive geological event occurred that affected everything. I'm pretty sure the ScanSat map doesn't have the level of detail I need. And I looked for kerbin_height_new to see if it at least worked (don't worry, I wouldn't distribute it) but I'd be damned if I could find it anywhere. It wasn't in any of the asset files for KSP 1.0.5 and I can't extract anything from KSP 1.1 or later using the tools I had.

So the last stumbling block to cloning Kerbin is finding that height map. Or maybe I don't know how to use kittopia-tech enough to extract it.

7 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I managed to clone Kerbin, roughly, using that ScanSat height map and using Duna as a template with "removeAllPQSMods = true." This result behaved better, with the terrain being more forgiving and logical. I used the majority of the current kerbin.cfg from kittopia-dumps. For some reason I had to omit everything inside PhysicsMaterial {} because Kopernicus couldn't interpret anything inside it.

That wasn't as bad, though, as not being able to use BUILTIN\kerbin_height_new in VertexHeightMap {} or in RemoveQuadMap {} in the ocean config. I ended up having to use my ScanSat height map everywhere kerbin_height_new would have been used. Is there some reason this built-in texture isn't usable more than once?

If I substituted the built-in texture with the ScanSat height map I extracted, everything works as I'd expect. This terrain is very rough, like that Populous sunken map I mentioned, or like a massive geological event occurred that affected everything. I'm pretty sure the ScanSat map doesn't have the level of detail I need. And I looked for kerbin_height_new to see if it at least worked (don't worry, I wouldn't distribute it) but I'd be damned if I could find it anywhere. It wasn't in any of the asset files for KSP 1.0.5 and I can't extract anything from KSP 1.1 or later using the tools I had.

So the last stumbling block to cloning Kerbin is finding that height map. Or maybe I don't know how to use kittopia-tech enough to extract it.

Why not use a Laythe template? It just seems like the next likely template you would use as opposed to Duna, and I cant see why you couldn't use the built in HM for Kerbin. 

This now appears solved, and I believe the fix will be available in the next release.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, Galileo said:

I cant see why you couldn't use the built in HM for Kerbin. 

When I try to do this:

VertexHeightMap
				{
					map = BUILTIN/kerbin_height_new
					offset = -1500
					deformity = 5000
					scaleDeformityByRadius = False
					order = 10
					enabled = True
					name = BinVertextHeightMap
					index = 0
				}

...this happens:

[LOG 16:16:35]: Parsing Target map in (Kopernicus.Configuration.ModLoader.VertexHeightMap) as (Kopernicus.Configuration.MapSOParser_GreyScale`1[MapSO])
[LOG 16:16:35]: Exception Was Recorded: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[MapSO] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[MapSO] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Utility.FindMapSO[MapSO] (System.String url) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.MapSOParser_GreyScale`1[MapSO].SetFromString (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.ProcessValue (System.Type targetType, System.String nodeValue) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectMemberFromConfigurationNode (System.Reflection.MemberInfo member, System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.PQSLoader.Kopernicus.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectMemberFromConfigurationNode (System.Reflection.MemberInfo member, System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

This happens whether I use Laythe or Duna for a template. I was just following the Oceanus.cfg example from KopernicusExamples, that happened to use Duna and then removed all PQS mods. I figured, like the example told me, it would be a clean slate. Something similar happens if I use this map with RemoveQuadMap {} for the Ocean {} configuration.

I can use BUILTIN/kerbin_height_new for LandControl {}, but that's it. Maybe there's a different object to use. I did read there's a difference between textures that could be loaded into graphics memory and others that could not.

[StarCrusher96 gave me a replacement height map, and that one's working.]

[04 JUL 2017] Sigma88 let me test some experimental builds that fix this particular problem. Something to do with Kopernicus renaming the stock textures after first use, or some such thing. With those changes, I can use a stock texture more than once without Kopernicus complaining. As a bonus, Alien Space Programs likely won't need external texture files in its next release.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Sigma88 let me test some builds

Hello. Where should I report Kopernicus bug? Kopernicus breaks water physics (at least on Kerbin). All my vessels just sink. The parachute is still open after landing in water and there is no splashed down status. It is like the water is not even there at all.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.