Docking Port Arrangement

I've begun to run into problems fitting all my craft onto my LKO space station that acts as a terminal between Kerbin and it's moons for my commercial space tourism business. It's sort of getting ridiculous.

(This is outdated but you can see how crowded it's getting...)

Ml93gSD.png

I've tried lots of arrangements in the past but haven't devised a universal system for ensuring all craft of all sizes find a spot where they won't create obstacles for other craft attempting to dock, as well as throw off the station's center of mass terribly if that's even possible.

What solutions have you guys come up with?

Edited by MisterKerman

My solution is to make the station big and sprawling, i.e. skinny and branching rather than compact.  For example, the core of the station is a long skinny spindle, and then docking ports are mounted on skinny projections that protrude out perpendicularly to the station body.

The key is to get the docking ports sticking out as far away as possible from the station body and from each other. That way, craft docking there are less likely to step on each other's toes.

It works both ways, too. If I'm designing a ship that will need to dock at a crowded space station, I'll be more likely to mount the ship's docking port on a long, narrow "snout" that extends from the ship's nose. That way the ship takes up less real estate when it's docked.

Build in 3 dimensions and lots of ports out on the ends. The other thing that I do is only use the standard size docking port for transient traffic ports. If I need a  jr. size port send out an engineer to stick on an adapter (clampotron-cone-jr) that's stored in KIS storage or a ship can bring one with it. Senior ports are never used. I use the Konstruction mod and it's weldable ports for building the station.

VyU33dA.png

I think I'm going to add a docking module to my station and do some rearranging. So far Gargamel's method seems like it will work the best for me. It will be simple to implement as well.

Just want to note that the inflatable air locks have been a godsend. I put them on my station not realizing just how crucial they would be. Thanks SQUAD. <3 That's a quality part!

34 minutes ago, MisterKerman said:

Just want to note that the inflatable air locks have been a godsend. I put them on my station not realizing just how crucial they would be. Thanks SQUAD. <3 That's a quality part!

The what now???

Okay, this bears investigation.

3 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Eh. I've been using the "node" style for some time now...

vs

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

docking ports at the end of long sticks

It depends on the intended use of the port.  

If you are building a station, and want to attach a new module that will be relatively permanent, then the node style works great.  Also, if you have a specific vehicle that will be the only one docking with that one port, then a bespoke port for that vehicle is fine too.   The port on the very top of my station pictured above is a Sr port intended for a miner to dock with.  Both the station and the mining shuttle were designed with this mind.

However, if you are not sure of what craft you will be docking there, then extended ports away from the main body of the station is usually the way to go.   Think piers on the shoreline for larger ships to dock at.  As you get better at building various styles of ships, your requirement for the space around the docking port will change.  Having a port a distance from the station will allow you to get a variety of larger and larger designs in there.    All my interplanetary motherships are roughly 2-3 times the size of the the station pictured above (They're basically a station, but with a propulsion system, latest design carries around 17k dv), so they tend to need a lot of space to dock with a station.  Although, I try not to, since the part count grinds me to a crawl....    

I've always kept a copy of my stations, as they are at the present time, in the SPH to use for fit checks. That way, I can check in advance if there's going to be any interference or hazards during the docking approach. As for docking two larger vessels together... I try and avoid that if at all possible. My recent crew swap at my Minmus station used one of the attached "lifeboat" ships to shuttle crew back and forth...

RZHKpnH.pngThat way, I don't have to worry about docking two large, unwieldy, and somewhat fragile vessels together. I also have standardized my choice of docking ports for most missions, so I know that the station/mothership uses one (and only one) type of docking port, so all I have to worry about is making sure the port on the active half of the docking is aligned properly. Other ports are usually for special applications, such as making a multi-part, large-scale mothership for interplanetary missions.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I'm pretty sure the inflatable airlock is a MH part

Oh shoot. If that's the case, my apologies. I just consider DLC to be stock sort of and didn't make the distinction. I really recommend anyone who doesn't have it, download it if they enjoy the game. It's money well spent.

37 minutes ago, MisterKerman said:

Oh shoot. If that's the case, my apologies. I just consider DLC to be stock sort of and didn't make the distinction. I really recommend anyone who doesn't have it, download it if they enjoy the game. It's money well spent.

I agree, engine plates and 5m parts are sublime. Nine Vectors under a 5m stack is delightful, if expensive. 

I also consider MH to be stock, I was just letting MaverickSawyer know in case he couldn’t find that part in his inventory 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

I agree, engine plates and 5m parts are sublime. Nine Vectors under a 5m stack is delightful, if expensive. 

Making History has been great. Engine plates certainly make things easier. Also, the Bobcat and the Mastodon end up in a lot of my builds--I just launched a craft where I calculated the most cost-effective solution for a main stage was 5 Bobcats under a 3.75m plate.

PSA: All Making History players should get the mod Missing History. What good is a 1.875m stack without a 1.875m reaction wheel, 1.875m probe core, and 1.875m nose cone? (And why were 1.25m plates not included in the DLC?)

37 minutes ago, MrSystems said:

PSA: All Making History players should get the mod Missing History. What good is a 1.875m stack without a 1.875m reaction wheel, 1.875m probe core, and 1.875m nose cone? (And why were 1.25m plates not included in the DLC?)

I second that recommendation, but in my opinion you've missed out on mentioning the single best item in it, which is the Palici Pod.

Regarding Space Station docking: I tend to have my main ship dock oriented in a particular direction - usually pointed to Retrograde so that vessels coming up from KSC simply launch directly into docking alignment.

Also, given that we've mentioned mods already, shout out for the indispensable Navball Docking Alignment Indicator mod. Easily the single most effective mod I ever installed, in terms of gameplay effect for memory use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.