Munar Base Collaboration Challenge

12 minutes ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

But what is it? What does it do?

Its another part of the station, basically a rover that kerbals will live in and drive around with, since its also a station it can be used to collect science or if scanners are put on it map the mun's surface from the ground, could be good for finding high ore concentrations nearby for the mining rig

11 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Its another part of the station, basically a rover that kerbals will live in and drive around with, since its also a station it can be used to collect science or if scanners are put on it map the mun's surface from the ground, could be good for finding high ore concentrations nearby for the mining rig

So it's a third rover?

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

So it's a third rover?

yes. If you want I can change one of the rovers to something else if 3 is too much. Also one of the rovers could be a refueler to refuel the crew vehicle on the surface as well if its necessary. Also we need to start planning where this base will be located and possible sites of interest (like a high ore concentration area)

2 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

yes. If you want I can change one of the rovers to something else if 3 is too much. Also one of the rovers could be a refueler to refuel the crew vehicle on the surface as well if its necessary. Also we need to start planning where this base will be located and possible sites of interest (like a high ore concentration area)

We won't know an ore location until we send a scansat, as it's different from save to save. But I do have some ideas.

1. It should be on the near side of the Mun so we don't need to use relays

2. It should be near the equator to minimize the inclination required for landing

3. The site should be relatively flat

4. Ideally, Kerbin will be just above the horizon to make for beautiful screenshots.

But ore location probably trumps those, especially since the Mun is so low on ore to begin with. So, if we can scan the Mun, we'll limit it to the highest ore concentration on the near size within 30(?) degrees of the equator. If there is a slightly worse (ore-wise) area that has better aesthetics and/or flatter terrain than the other location, then we should go with that, I guess.

7 hours ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

that is a mobile station that @Rocket_man1234 is building that will be part of the base

I never said I was building that, soooo

also, @Ultimate Steve the docking port is 4 cubic otags off the ground, the proposed idea leaves not a lot of ground clearance for me to do anything with.  

Edited by Rocket_man1234

8 hours ago, Rocket_man1234 said:

I never said I was building that, soooo

also, @Ultimate Steve the docking port is 4 cubic otags off the ground, the proposed idea leaves not a lot of ground clearance for me to do anything with.  

ok, I will let someone else build it then. also the scansat could be part of the robotic lander mission I like @Ultimate Steve's idea of where the base should be.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.