Docking in 1.7 feels faster, maybe?

When i am close to docking, time feels to speed up.Even approaching with 0.1 m/s feels like the closer i am the faster i go.

It all works fine but its like everything switches to fast forward when i am few meters away from the target.(way before the magnets activate)

I wonder if anyone else noticed this so i can stop being paranoid and go get some much needed coffee :D.

Edited by Boyster

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 6:11 AM, Boyster said:

When i am close to docking, time feels to speed up.Even approaching with 0.1 m/s feels like the closer i am the faster i go.

It all works fine but its like everything switches to fast forward when i am few meters away from the target.(way before the magnets activate)

I wonder if anyone else noticed this so i can stop being paranoid and go get some much needed coffee :D.

Hehe.

Docking devices have MAGNETS to help them dock easier. So when you are close enough, they start pulling eachother towards one another, until they dock. Obviously that results in a noticeable degree of acceleration, during those final split-seconds before docking. That is the "speeeding" effect you are noticing. The game isnt running faster... the ships are!

On 4/14/2019 at 4:29 PM, Boyster said:

That might be actually why it feels smoother :D .

hehe. But yeah, that's the reason. To my knowledge all docking clamps have magnets, even modded ones. The part context menu in the VAB will even show you the specifics. Since the power of the magnetic attraction will be proportionally smaller, the heavier the ship gets, the effect may be less noticeable with larger ships using smaller docking clamps.  

Question answered! 

35 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

hehe. But yeah, that's the reason. To my knowledge all docking clamps have magnets, even modded ones. The part context menu in the VAB will even show you the specifics. Since the power of the magnetic attraction will be proportionally smaller, the heavier the ship gets, the effect may be less noticeable with larger ships using smaller docking clamps.  

Question answered! 

Well actually i specifically said in my first post that this happens way before the magnets activate.But its a good thing to be on this topic.Still the answer is probably the fps increase i had with 1.7.

54 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Well actually i specifically said in my first post that this happens way before the magnets activate.But its a good thing to be on this topic.Still the answer is probably the fps increase i had with 1.7.

Really? Sorry I must have warped through it. Still,  how do you know the magnets are acting or not? To me the only discernible symptom is when both crafts start running towards eachother.

41 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Really?

I think you fell victim to the fact that the Questions section first sorts the thread by "Best Answer", then by "Number of Votes", and then by date.  (Which has it's obvious advantages and disadvantages, case in point)

So it only appeared the OP was responding to your Magnets comment, but was in fact replying to my FPS comment, two weeks previous. 

34 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I think you fell victim to the fact that the Questions section first sorts the thread by "Best Answer", then by "Number of Votes", and then by date.  (Which has it's obvious advantages and disadvantages, case in point)

So it only appeared the OP was responding to your Magnets comment, but was in fact replying to my FPS comment, two weeks previous. 

Indeed! 

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Really? Sorry I must have warped through it. Still,  how do you know the magnets are acting or not? To me the only discernible symptom is when both crafts start running towards eachother.

Umm i guess i get the feel by the distance i have.I never really checked how close the magnets work :D  but this ''issue'' happened way further than the magnets could have an effect.(10m+)

Edited by Boyster

15 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Umm i guess i get the feel by the distance i have.I never really checked how close the magnets work :D  but this ''issue'' happened way further than the magnets could have an effect.(10m+)

Oh, 10 kliks... that's not it then! Hehe.

Well.... my game is a heavily modded one. Some mods like physics range enxtender mess up with framerate, depending on the distance between my vessel and nearby ones. Could it be something like that?

6 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Still,  how do you know the magnets are acting or not?

This mod adds handy little indicator lights to many parts, including docking ports. The docking port lights blink when the magnets activate. I'm surprised Snark hasn't chimed in with it yet...

57 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

This mod adds handy little indicator lights to many parts, including docking ports. The docking port lights blink when the magnets activate. I'm surprised Snark hasn't chimed in with it yet...

Cool, great suggestion! Tks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.