My Journey to the Mun [Finished :D]

Popuptwo

Well, basically I had watched KurtJMac play KSP and so I picked up the free demo. I had a little bit of fun with it so I wondered if I wanted the full game or not. So I set myself a goal. If I got to the Mun and was able to land on it, I'd pick up the whole game. So I set off to do it.

Attempt Thirteen:

Building the Rocket:

Attempt One:

Attempts Two through Five:

Attempt Six:

Attempt Seven:

Attempt Twelve:

Edited by Popuptwo

Nice orbit and video! I just landed on Minmus for the first time with only Bill and his EVA jet-pack, no landing pod (much easier than you think). My advice: try to use srbs to your advantage, don't use sas only asas and only 1, orbit a LOT to get used to changing your orbit, always go to 90 degrees for an easy orbit, and if you have Bill, Jeb, and Bob... Don't let them die. Keep them for as long as possible. End the mission if things go sour. Good luck, and when/if you get the full game, it's worth it! EVAs are a ton of fun.

Nice orbit and video! I just landed on Minmus for the first time with only Bill and his EVA jet-pack, no landing pod (much easier than you think). My advice: try to use srbs to your advantage, don't use sas only asas and only 1, orbit a LOT to get used to changing your orbit, always go to 90 degrees for an easy orbit, and if you have Bill, Jeb, and Bob... Don't let them die. Keep them for as long as possible. End the mission if things go sour. Good luck, and when/if you get the full game, it's worth it! EVAs are a ton of fun.

Thanks :P (Basically you EVA while in orbit and the kerbonaut becomes like a meteor?)

If I'm understanding you correctly you're saying I should use the Solid Fuel Boosters (I had tried to avoid using them, but several attempts later I needed to use them and finally relented and I used 3 of them.) I have gained a fair bit of experience flying since I recorded these videos and I believe I only used both SAS and ASAS at the same time because it was tumbling and I wanted it to stop but I didn't want to have to fly it completely manual so I did that.

I'll try to keep them alive as they are awesome :D

Yes the kerbonaut becomes a meteor but because of Minmus having such a low gravitational pull, you can use your pack to land! Fun fact: Even though Minmus has a very low gravitational pull, in real life it would have to be made of solid uranium to have that pull!

Coming along ;)

Landing struts are what allowed me to finally land on the Mun, I made loads of craters in earlier versions trying to do it without them

Thanks xD Yea, those were a big problem for me xD I've made several craters on the mun but I can't wait to try this with the actually landing struts xD

You might try this design for a lander in the demo. I saw it on youtube, but forgot to bookmark it, so I don't remember who made the video and the lander design.

552573_2984808239406_403819296_n.jpg

The lander has the following stages.

Capsule, parachute and decoupler for returning to Kerbin

ASAS, fuel tank, RCS & tank, and gimble engine for trans-Kerbin return burn. Make sure the engine is listed below the three decouplers in the stage list for the ship. Otherwise, when you activate the engine, the three fuel tank landing legs fall off. Whenever I would make changes to the ship in the demo, the automatic stager would sometimes place the three decouplers with the lander gimble engine and if I didn't notice before liftoff, I would lose them when I activated the engine.

Three radial decouplers with the following on each. Fuel tank with SAS underneath to land on. Struts and fuel lines from the outside tanks to the middle tank. I added the moveable winglets for additional landing leg support. Make sure that the SAS extends below the engine so that engine is not damaged in landing.

The screen shot was my first attempt to land on the Mun which was successful. If you can have your launcher get you on a path to the Mun, before you decouple the lander, then you should have lots of fuel for landing. I started my landing from the apoapsis of the Mun orbit, so I was able to get a near vertical descent to the landing spot. As you can see, I landed on the nght side and luckily was slightly drifting with the slope when I touched down. The lander slid for a little bit before coming to a rest. I took a couple of pictures, before I got Bill and Bob to both be smiling at the same time. Of course, Jeb never stopped smiling the whole flight.

I attached my Saturn I craft file from the demo. It uses no mods.

Are you gonna buy the game now that you "made" it to the mun?

Yea I just haven't gotten around to it xD I've been to busy to even play the game so I haven't had the initiative to go and buy it

You might try this design for a lander in the demo. I saw it on youtube, but forgot to bookmark it, so I don't remember who made the video and the lander design.

552573_2984808239406_403819296_n.jpg

The lander has the following stages.

Capsule, parachute and decoupler for returning to Kerbin

ASAS, fuel tank, RCS & tank, and gimble engine for trans-Kerbin return burn. Make sure the engine is listed below the three decouplers in the stage list for the ship. Otherwise, when you activate the engine, the three fuel tank landing legs fall off. Whenever I would make changes to the ship in the demo, the automatic stager would sometimes place the three decouplers with the lander gimble engine and if I didn't notice before liftoff, I would lose them when I activated the engine.

Three radial decouplers with the following on each. Fuel tank with SAS underneath to land on. Struts and fuel lines from the outside tanks to the middle tank. I added the moveable winglets for additional landing leg support. Make sure that the SAS extends below the engine so that engine is not damaged in landing.

The screen shot was my first attempt to land on the Mun which was successful. If you can have your launcher get you on a path to the Mun, before you decouple the lander, then you should have lots of fuel for landing. I started my landing from the apoapsis of the Mun orbit, so I was able to get a near vertical descent to the landing spot. As you can see, I landed on the nght side and luckily was slightly drifting with the slope when I touched down. The lander slid for a little bit before coming to a rest. I took a couple of pictures, before I got Bill and Bob to both be smiling at the same time. Of course, Jeb never stopped smiling the whole flight.

I attached my Saturn I craft file from the demo. It uses no mods.

I'll have to try that out as soon as I get the time to play some more KSP (I haven't played since I recorded this short series thing and I just haven't had the time to play), I've been itching to get more into it. But I'll definitely try this out the next time I shoot for the mun :) Thanks :D

You'll get the hang of it. You should purchase KSP in any case. It's the best game I've played in the past 5 years, no joke.

Yea, I plan to, I just need to get some time to devote to it xD

You are welcome. I can't help you with .16 as I can't get the 3m parts to work to well for me yet.

Don't forget to update when you get the chance. The price went up from .15 to .16, so I paid $3 more. (Not a big deal and worth it, but if I hadn't procrastinated I could have bought 3/4 of a gallon of gas. :) ) I don't know if the price will go up for .17, but why risk it? I know I kept the demo version so I could use the rockets in it when I want to play the demo again. I plan on doing that for each version on at least one of our computers.

You are welcome. I can't help you with .16 as I can't get the 3m parts to work to well for me yet.

Don't forget to update when you get the chance. The price went up from .15 to .16, so I paid $3 more. (Not a big deal and worth it, but if I hadn't procrastinated I could have bought 3/4 of a gallon of gas. :) ) I don't know if the price will go up for .17, but why risk it? I know I kept the demo version so I could use the rockets in it when I want to play the demo again. I plan on doing that for each version on at least one of our computers.

Gah, still haven't gotten around to it, but I'ma do it right now xD

Attempt 7 is up :D

(Should I put them in spoilers in the first post?)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.