[1.8+] Procedural Fairings

pap1723

19 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Are you using the fairing shell part and not the interstage shell part? The interstage shells aren't stageable and stay on the fairing base. Fairings should release when staged.

Screenshots are appreciated.

Yes, I think that's the problem. when I try to search for interstage shell parts nothing appears, only the fairings parts appear. 

What i'm trying to do is something like this, but the top of the fairing stays attached to the upper stage of the rocket and won't let the stages separate. The only way I have found is to increase the width of the fairing, but it is unsightly.

https://imgur.com/a/DWZRbJM

sqx5Gae.png

Edited by Adrianstu98

On 8/29/2023 at 5:24 AM, Adrianstu98 said:

Yes, I think that's the problem. when I try to search for interstage shell parts nothing appears, only the fairings parts appear. 

What i'm trying to do is something like this, but the top of the fairing stays attached to the upper stage of the rocket and won't let the stages separate. The only way I have found is to increase the width of the fairing, but it is unsightly.

https://imgur.com/a/DWZRbJM

0FbKr9E.png

Ah, I see the issue.

Your interstage is successfully separating, but since it's 1 piece, it gets stuck inside the upper stage. Use at least 2 pieces so it clamshell deploys when staged.

You will also need to increase the top diameter to match the upper stage diameter. It's a bit fiddly, so use the number input for fine adjustments.

2 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

Ah, I see the issue.

Your interstage is successfully separating, but since it's 1 piece, it gets stuck inside the upper stage. Use at least 2 pieces so it clamshell deploys when staged.

You will also need to increase the top diameter to match the upper stage diameter. It's a bit fiddly, so use the number input for fine adjustments.

Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a problem with the fairing base not decoupling, even though I have it enabled and am using one of the floating nodes:

YxGaj6E.jpeg

When I stage it some visual effects appear, but the fairing base stays intact:

ZKV9O61.jpeg

n99u2Zu.jpeg

Am I using it wrong? Doesn't change whether actual fairings are present or not

4 hours ago, salesv said:

I am having a problem with the fairing base not decoupling, even though I have it enabled and am using one of the floating nodes:

When I stage it some visual effects appear, but the fairing base stays intact:

Am I using it wrong? Doesn't change whether actual fairings are present or not

You have it upside down: the small part is where the payload is, and the large part is where you attach the rest of the rocket.

15 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

You have it upside down: the small part is where the payload is, and the large part is where you attach the rest of the rocket.

Yes, that was intended, my idea was to show that the fairing base doesn't decouple from the payload by attaching it like that and making it go with the craft. My expected result would be the base falling down after decoupling.

Does this mean we can't make procedural fairing's base separate from payload like stock fairings do with decouplers?

Edited by salesv
Adding more info

• 3 months later...

Doesn't work in 1.12.5. I can’t assign the fairing jettison through the action group, there is no way to reset it, either manually or automatically, for example through the Gravity Turn mod. Is this mod no longer supported?

8 hours ago, BlindSniper0393 said:

There is a problem that the fairings are very fragile. It always breaks off when my rocket reaches a certain speed for gravity turning, and I still haven't found a way  to reinforce it, even the KJR .  So are there any ways to solve this ?

In case you are using KJR Next -> be aware of the new settings that you can select (see description on first page).

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, mnbvcxz said:

My fairing is split in half after 250m/s and it's like blooming, is there any cheat to turn this off?

read the message before.

activate the "Advanced Twekables" in the Settings.

Now you can set the "Rigid attachment" to "on" and the "Autostrut" to "Haviest Part" or "Root Part" to strengthen the durability of each part (in the Contextmenu of each part).

Edited by hraban

I've been trying to use a set of payload fairings which have a diameter of 10 meters. No matter what I do they just keep falling off. I have KJR and I have autostrut and rigid attachment enabled. After spending a few days on this rocket design I do not want to have to not use it just because of problems with its fairing