annoyed with rotors due to not finding effective purpose

k00b

Has anybody posted a combo paddleboat/rover/tilt rotor copter? 

I am starting to build one and I am almost a robotics n00b.

EDIT: a small one, it should be obviously strapped to a rocket :)

Edited by Signo

I made a 100% reusable Eve shuttle. The service craft requires props, it couldn't work any other way. Wouldn't have the endurance. The system is entirely usable in career games; all phases of the mission from KSC to Eve surface, back to orbit, and back to surface again have been tested.

Lifter + orbiter module: https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/BAK-9011-Raphael

qJ3TFP0.jpg

Service craft, used to recover the orbiter, mount it back on the lifter, and refuel both for another trip: https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/BAK-9012-Elvira-L

aM96iBj.jpg

yGo0XVJ.jpg 

I also made a tilt-rotor for exploring Duna. It's much easier and more convenient to operate than a rover: https://kerbalx.com/Brikoleur/BAK-6000D-Ikarus

It will also work on Eve.

2zw7ir4.jpg

1 hour ago, AHHans said:

On Duna I struggle to generate decent amounts of thrust with propellers

The official props and helo blades are as good as useless on Duna, they just don't generate enough thrust/lift. I tried swapping them onto Ikarus pictured above and I had to pile on a ridiculous number to be able to even take off, let alone fly reasonably painlessly. However rotors made from other aero components -- elevons for example -- work really well. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

The official props and helo blades are as good as useless on Duna, they just don't generate enough thrust/lift. I tried swapping them onto Ikarus pictured above and I had to pile on a ridiculous number to be able to even take off, let alone fly reasonably painlessly. However rotors made from other aero components -- elevons for example -- work really well. 

While I admire your tenacity, using elevons as rotor blades like that looks terrible as is definitely not what I paid additional money to experience in the game.  I'm pretty disappointed with this DLC.  No tutorials, no stock craft to reverse engineer, no sounds on the parts, months of "you're out of power" spam on the science experiments, them adding a bunch of things like blades and lf engines that should obviously have been in the dlc from the start.  At this point, only the parts pack from Making History gets any use from me, and I've paid twice as much for DLC as what I paid for the whole game.  Yuk.  KSP2 and new developers can't come soon enough.

30 minutes ago, klesh said:

While I admire your tenacity, using elevons as rotor blades like that looks terrible as is definitely not what I paid additional money to experience in the game.

They work great on Eve and Kerbin (and presumably Laythe). I've made a whole bunch of fun stuff with them for these bodies, like the Elvira utility plane above. The air is just too thin for them on Duna.

Whether they're too complex is a matter of opinion. I don't find them so but YMMV. I've certainly had much more enjoyment out of Breaking Ground than I have any right to expect, in fact it revitalised the whole game for me. It's a shame you didn't like it, have you considered asking for a refund?

15 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Whether they're too complex is a matter of opinion. I don't find them so but YMMV. I've certainly had much more enjoyment out of Breaking Ground than I have any right to expect, in fact it revitalised the whole game for me. It's a shame you didn't like it, have you considered asking for a refund?

I considered refunding it, but I decided to be charitable and let them have my money based on my prior experiences and enjoyment with the main game that I got for something like $12.

I eventually downloaded a silent, no sounds plane on Steam Workshop that allowed me to somewhat reverse engineer how these things are supposed to work.  For me, I have no interest in fiddling with 57 settings just to get a propeller plane to work in niche situations in what is mostly a spacefairing game.  I like putting a rocket engine on my rockets and not having to open a PAW to fiddle with the fuel mixture for example.  I disliked the KAL computer thing and have no idea how that kind of timeline editor is supposed to work. I guess the presumption is everyone is supposed to know how to use that, or learn it from some outside source.  I had no problems making cool stuff with Infernal Robotics and their button pressing system years ago.  Now there is some kind of secondary action group I guess... I dunno. None of it is explained and I'm just not interested in the content enough to warrant learning all about it.  I certainly spent ages learning about how to make orbits, and better my rockets etc, but this content didn't inspire me enough to wade into relearning a whole new way to play the game for what I feel is niche circumstances. Oh well, caveat emptor and whatnot.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, klesh said:

While I admire your tenacity, using elevons as rotor blades like that looks terrible as is definitely not what I paid additional money to experience in the game.  I'm pretty disappointed with this DLC.  No tutorials, no stock craft to reverse engineer, no sounds on the parts, months of "you're out of power" spam on the science experiments, them adding a bunch of things like blades and lf engines that should obviously have been in the dlc from the start.  At this point, only the parts pack from Making History gets any use from me, and I've paid twice as much for DLC as what I paid for the whole game.  Yuk.  KSP2 and new developers can't come soon enough.

they are sorting us out by 1.8 allegedly - think they rushed it out (what with having to nerf the torq etc) also with blades and pieces to come (thus will be "future tense" good for surface sample cheating in career mode hopefully (completely redundant to date), also looking foreward to vanilla graphical improvements

100% agree about elevon eyesore garbage / needing to pay for plus size rockets in making history / KAL headache; BUT i picked up the base / MH for cheap (about the price i paid for breaking ground by itself...).

[snip]

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

3 hours ago, CocoDaPuf said:

OH MY GOD Brikoleur, that set of Eve crafts is fricking epic! I'm just super impressed!

Thanks! :D

You should check out the other craft ITT which gave me the inspiration: 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.