Is there a Doctor on the Station?

A mission required a kerbal to return home (my case was on a Laythe Station) from a medical emergency back to Kerbin. Took her a couple of months to return and to find out she was OK....:).....:mad:.

An idea came up to create a kerbal as a Med-tech. Make sure every one was healthy, command a kerbal to get on an exercise bike...(Bill had too many snacks). Just simple commands not to overtake or ruin a mission.

Crew rosters?...not just to have a kerbal sittin on his green butt throughout the mission. (wake, bathe, breakfast, exercise, work, snack breaks, and sleep) again, with simple commands.

1 minute ago, EnderKid2 said:

Did you just make every variable in their config file a slider?

lol, it would seem so but actually most of what is in the menu in the video is not in the Kerbal config file and only accessible while in the flight scene through the kerbal module

Squad made it a point to try and keep kerbals from being messed with much by mods ... Although I found the wey :wink:

On 10/13/2019 at 2:59 AM, DoctorDavinci said:

Squad made it a point to try and keep kerbals from being messed with much by mods ... Although I found the wey :wink:

Yeah, no they didn't. The whole point of having a Kerbal config was to expose them to modders. The notion that they wanted to keep them from being 'messed with much by mods' is totally untrue.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

Yeah, no they didn't. The whole point of having a Kerbal config was to expose them to modders. The notion that they wanted to keep them from being 'messed with much by mods' is totally untrue.

So why are the Kerbal models contained inside of the .assets then?

2 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm no expert but could it have been because it was an early decision by the developers who may not have had a clear roadmap for what they wanted at the time?

2 minutes ago, Deddly said:

I'm no expert but could it have been because it was an early decision by the developers who may not have had a clear roadmap for what they wanted at the time?

Possibly, however I find it odd that most of the models (.mu's) are accessible yet the Flag model and Kerbal model are not

Glad to see you're still kicking around :)

9 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Either it wasn't considered necessary or the person responsible for implementing the changes didn't think of it or both.

The fact is that a programmer took hard coded Kerbal behavior and moved it into a PartModule where it can be easily modified by patching the config. All of those things in that PAW menu? You say that 'most' of them don't appear in the config file but that's not true either. Most (as in the majority of) DO appear in the config file. Maybe even all. Again, as I say that was a conscious decision by someone to make Kerbals easily modded. The fact that the mesh for them wasn't also exposed doesn't change that.

Ask @NathanKell about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I did some work to make the previously internal-only Kerbal Part (code-side) work like other PARTs. That is it would pull its PartModules from cfg and support adding/removing PartModules and changing PartModule values in cfg. But there was a whole lot bound up in the prefab, linking the asset and the Part, such that only the gameplay side is really easily moddable. Me and @Porkjet had a dream at one point to put real humans in, but we never got to it before we moved on. Man, takes me back.

Edited by NathanKell

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.