RP-1 Realistic Progression One for KSP 1.12.3

pap1723

probable Bug-Report and Question/Request

Hi there, thank you for this realistic career.

I just started a new career and just completed the difficult downrange contract (500u 240km) after waiting a while to get a good elapsed time bonus.

Now this exact same contract can be accepted again and the elapsed time bonus was not reset (for both DR contracts).

1st: is it intended, that it stays the same basic contracts?
2nd: shouldn't the bonus be reset to 0?

Question/Request

Is it possible to get a complete list of integrations/constructions and crafts in store or ready for launch if I am using more than one Space Centre (biome science, polar orbits, so 3 to 4 in total)? If not, could this be implemented so one does know were a launch can be made, maybe combined with a way quick switch without using tracking station? Or maybe at least a filter in tracking stations to filter for Space Centres that are in use? I'd say this would improve quality of life a lot...

Good day! 

First I want to apologize for my English. To a greater extent, this is Google translator.

I encountered this problem. There is no payload in the service module tanks. Specifically Com Sat, Weather Sat and Nav Sat payloads.

KSP 1.12.3.3173 clean install via steam (betta version). The assembly was installed via CKAN. Express Install Realism Overhaul/Realistic Progression 1 (RO/RP-1). According to the main instructions. No third party modifications.

Has anyone encountered this problem? What possible solutions can there be?

NoName.jpg

2 hours ago, Spoq13 said:

I encountered this problem. There is no payload in the service module tanks. Specifically Com Sat, Weather Sat and Nav Sat payloads.

It's not a bug, the satellite payloads now use their own dedicated part, which is found in the "Satellite Era Electronics Research" tech tree node.

Also I believe that WeatherSat payload no longer exists at all. The Weather Satellite missions now use NavSat payload.

1 hour ago, Razgriz1 said:

It's not a bug, the satellite payloads now use their own dedicated part, which is found in the "Satellite Era Electronics Research" tech tree node.

Thank you! I think I've figured it out. In the pods section, two “Contract Satellit Bus” parts appear, Nav Sat and Comm Sat, respectively. This is where the payload is loaded.

Somehow I didn't notice this before. I also played RP-1 v1.0 on version KSP 1.10.1. For old times’ sake, I was looking for a payload in service modules.

When I encountered my problem. Internet searches yielded no results. Even in the FAQs section on Github in paragraph 4. Completing Contracts, I understand that we are talking about tanks. XD

Edited by Spoq13

arkbird.jpg

In my opinion this series of optional contracts of the X-Planes program should give a much better reward. Over 30k funds had to be spent expanding the maximum wingspan the hangar can build aircrafts with. This design had to use relatively expensive to tool aluminum stringer tanks, but because currently I'm getting far more unlock credits than funds each day I still tooled it, and it is flimsy, any high G turns will break the 0.1 mass-strength multiplier wings and 0.2 control surfaces another risky move to ensure the mass of this very Kerbal aircraft for RO standards doesn't get too high for it to reach that ridiculously high altitude for a mid 1950s jet engine.

I'm sure there are more elegant solutions to achieve this within the 40m max width of the starting hangar than to attach an overpowered at sea level jet engine (over 1.7 TWR)  and huge wings to a X-1 cockpit, or maybe wait until later, better jet and turbofan engines get unlocked, but in mid 1958 the X-planes deadline will happen so I'm trying to cram as many optional achievements into it while there is time in this career mode.

And that is not even the "real" mission. It took over 1 hour of in game time to climb to 30km and return to land, with difficulty, on the runway: you have to keep decreasing climb speed as you get higher, over and over to not lose so much speed you can't level flight at 30km, at the last leg it was limping at only 3m/s climb speed. I can't even believe any real X-planes program did a manned aircraft with a jet engine that beat that altitude record, definitively not in 1956. There were also things that'd make it even more frustrating but were not necessary, such as reducing the wings mass-strength ratio so much that they break at 4x time warp  if it was still too heavy to get that high up.

This better be the last of these stratospheric subsonic flight missions in RP-1, no way I'm trying another one that wants me to "reach level flight with a jet X-Plane at 35km for 5 minutes" or something like that.

PS: It really is tangential to the rest of the program, which is focused on designing ever faster, heat-resistant experimental aircraft to go ever higher up and eventually reach outer space as the final goal, instead of this, which is useless for anything else than its intended optional missions. I suppose you could use it as a basis for one that can somehow climb a bit past 40km to gather science at high altitude, but why?

Edited by NotTheRealRMS

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to regain the merge function while editing recovered vessels that was previously in KCT?

I would love to be able to use it with my reusable spaceplane. Currently, when I add the droppable tanks to my spaceplane after recovery the build timer goes from 100% to 50%, even though they are worth less than 1% of the total cost of the spaceplane.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem with Contract Configurator update?

My rp-1 career is messed up after updating in ckan. Unfortunately I didn't backup  my install. I suspect a problem in  today's Contract Configurator update.

The two starting rocket projects are messed up with one gone entirely and the other having only the  two completed missions showing. I can't proceed at all as there no "available" missions and the only active missions are records.

I tried reloading everything and restarting a new game and its the same (though first two missions are of course not checked)

I am going to try the debug steps mentioned in the contract configurator manual but suspect something needs to be fixed

Any suggestions would be welcome.

tom

when I tried setting debug and reloading contracts I got a RP-1 Patching error popup. I had already tried reinstalling RP-1 but I guess I'll try completely reinstalling ksp and then reinstall and seed if it helps.

''''

completely fresh install, express rp-1, no other mods. new game. added initial 2 rocket projects  but only one shows up in missions and it only has 2 missions instead of  the standard 6 or so.

Contract configurator has now been update which solves the problem.

saw this on the discord which I joined, though am liquided it made me give my phone number which none of my other channels have demanded. Wouln t have if I wasnt so committed to my r-p1 career 

Edited by texashopkins
updated info

Hey there,

even though I love RP-1, especially since the Programms and Launch Complexes Update, I was wondering if there are any plans to seperate the Programms Part into its own mod that could work with the stock system. While our real life solar system arguably is pretty great, somtimes I prefer a playthrough in a more "lore friendly" environment (like with JNSQ) to dont have to think about the mystery how kerbals got to be the earth´s leading spacefaring civilisation. Especially with mods like Kerbal Construction Time and Bureaucracy I see a lot of potential with programms in the more stock oriented parts of the community since the stock contract system really has its shortcomings.

Just to throw the idea out there ;) 

On 12/7/2023 at 1:28 AM, NotTheRealRMS said:

arkbird.jpg

In my opinion this series of optional contracts of the X-Planes program should give a much better reward. Over 30k funds had to be spent expanding the maximum wingspan the hangar can build aircrafts with. This design had to use relatively expensive to tool aluminum stringer tanks, but because currently I'm getting far more unlock credits than funds each day I still tooled it, and it is flimsy, any high G turns will break the 0.1 mass-strength multiplier wings and 0.2 control surfaces another risky move to ensure the mass of this very Kerbal aircraft for RO standards doesn't get too high for it to reach that ridiculously high altitude for a mid 1950s jet engine.

I'm sure there are more elegant solutions to achieve this within the 40m max width of the starting hangar than to attach an overpowered at sea level jet engine (over 1.7 TWR)  and huge wings to a X-1 cockpit, or maybe wait until later, better jet and turbofan engines get unlocked, but in mid 1958 the X-planes deadline will happen so I'm trying to cram as many optional achievements into it while there is time in this career mode.

And that is not even the "real" mission. It took over 1 hour of in game time to climb to 30km and return to land, with difficulty, on the runway: you have to keep decreasing climb speed as you get higher, over and over to not lose so much speed you can't level flight at 30km, at the last leg it was limping at only 3m/s climb speed. I can't even believe any real X-planes program did a manned aircraft with a jet engine that beat that altitude record, definitively not in 1956. There were also things that'd make it even more frustrating but were not necessary, such as reducing the wings mass-strength ratio so much that they break at 4x time warp  if it was still too heavy to get that high up.

This better be the last of these stratospheric subsonic flight missions in RP-1, no way I'm trying another one that wants me to "reach level flight with a jet X-Plane at 35km for 5 minutes" or something like that.

PS: It really is tangential to the rest of the program, which is focused on designing ever faster, heat-resistant experimental aircraft to go ever higher up and eventually reach outer space as the final goal, instead of this, which is useless for anything else than its intended optional missions. I suppose you could use it as a basis for one that can somehow climb a bit past 40km to gather science at high altitude, but why?

It's pretty easy to reach that altitude with xlr11, rocket engine plane. No need for massive wingspans, you can reach karman line  with 1957 tech with either quad engined rocket plane or hybrid propulsion plane with 2 jets and rocket engines kicking in at 15k altitude. I can dig out mu old crafts for reference(approx 2-3 years old), if i recall correctly karman line mission with quad engined rocketplane lasted 15-20  minutes with 7-8 minutes powered stage.

Edited by ZAJC3W

Has the fuel cell issue been fixed? Its been a while but I believe the issue was was where fuel cells would stop working if you are not playing as the vehicle in question. I come back every year or so and inevitably rage quit when I get to the point where I need fuel cells.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. It will likely sound stupid and for that I apologize in advance.
what are the ways in game that will help to be able to build launch complexes faster? they seem to take way too long to build, which causes mission failure issues and all sorts of things. What do I have to upgrade or unlock in r and d?
Also, beyond that, what rp1 config setting is responsible to telling the game how fast to build LC's I would like to maybe adjust that for myself.
thanks to all that took the time to read and reply.

• 2 weeks later...

My Early Satellites Heavy program has disappeared.  not showing up as available, active or completed and my career cannot progress.  Pretty frustrating.    This is a fresh install and contract configurator is the latest version  released 01/09   Express install with no additional mods.

4 hours ago, duderasta said:

My Early Satellites Heavy program has disappeared.  not showing up as available, active or completed and my career cannot progress.  Pretty frustrating.    This is a fresh install and contract configurator is the latest version  released 01/09   Express install with no additional mods.

nevermind I am an idiot lol.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to RP-1 and I can't get any sounding rocket telemetry unit on the starting node. 

I installed RP-1 by CKAN. All mods beginning with "RO " are installed too. 

Thanks for your help.

5 hours ago, Steigleder said:

Hi, I am new to RP-1 and I can't get any sounding rocket telemetry unit on the starting node. 

I installed RP-1 by CKAN. All mods beginning with "RO " are installed too. 

Thanks for your help.

Have you read the Getting Started -> Building a Sounding Rocket page in the Wiki? It has sections where it talks about how science works with procedural avionics and Kerbalism in RP-1.

Basically all low atmosphere and surface science is marked as already researched (0 value) at game start. In order to start gaining science you must reach 40km to start getting upper atmosphere science. Also make sure that you start your experiment in the avionics' PAW before launching your sounding rocket (or at least before getting to 40km), science in Kerbalism trickles in over time automatically while your vessel is in an appropriate biome/altitude, provided the experiment is present, started, there is enough electric charge, and a communication connection back to KSC.

14 hours ago, Steigleder said:

Thank you for the información Aelfhe1m. I'm trying to complete the 3000km downrange contract.

There are several good YouTube videos offering tutorials on building for that mission. The one by Carnasa is perhaps my favourite for simplicity of design (includes a craft file you can download and take apart to see how it's built). 

Hi team!

Is there any way that RP-1 prevents us from choosing technologies for engine upgrades that have not been researched yet?

I'm new to RP-1 and my biggest problem is that when I choose an upgrade, then I build a new launch complex, then I tool my rocket or plane, then, when I was to order to build the ship, RP-1 shows me a message that says I need to unblock a node technology.

I need a smooth way to know what upgrade is already in my tech tree or what upgrade I need to unblock first, or since I'm a newbie, there is a way that is unknown to me.

Thanks for your advice!

PS: By the way, RP-1 is like another KSP, it is like the KSP PhD level. It's amazing.

1 hour ago, Steigleder said:

Hi team!

Is there any way that RP-1 prevents us from choosing technologies for engine upgrades that have not been researched yet?

I'm new to RP-1 and my biggest problem is that when I choose an upgrade, then I build a new launch complex, then I tool my rocket or plane, then, when I was to order to build the ship, RP-1 shows me a message that says I need to unblock a node technology.

I need a smooth way to know what upgrade is already in my tech tree or what upgrade I need to unblock first, or since I'm a newbie, there is a way that is unknown to me.

Thanks for your advice!

PS: By the way, RP-1 is like another KSP, it is like the KSP PhD level. It's amazing.

When you look at parts in the tool menu, you should see a different shaded background for researched vs. still researching tech (there is a button on the top edge of the screen to enable/disable this feature):

luHX7kx.png

When dealing with a part such as an engine that has multiple variants that become available at different tech levels, the selection menu for the variants will show "greyed out" purchase buttons for unresearched variants, no button for variants you've purchased and "active" purchase buttons for researched but not purchased variants.

Hovering your mouse pointer over one of the "greyed out" buttons will display a tool tip showing which tech node it belongs to.

PqTP7OH.png

12 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

When dealing with a part such as an engine that has multiple variants that become available at different tech levels, the selection menu for the variants will show "greyed out" purchase buttons for unresearched variants, no button for variants you've purchased and "active" purchase buttons for researched but not purchased variants.

Ahh ok, I understand!

Thank you for your time and patience Aelfhe1m.

Yesterday, I discovered the Van Allen belts he he.