How do you think stars will move with respect to each other?

mcwaffles2003

14 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

There is an extremely small galaxy where all stars orbit the center, where there is a massive body. In this case it makes great sense to include orbital motion of stars, similar to that of planets about a star.

Ok I think we are actually on the same page about this but lost I must have missed something. 

This is the scale I was talking about. Visually It doesn't look great and to be honest and I would rather it to be a bit more spiral like the milky way. If you skip forward you can see a galaxy core near the end. The mod is really basic but good for people with warp drive mods. I cannot remember the performance anymore because I just tested it for a few minutes. I doubt it works great however. Maybe it does. I'm just thinking the scale would be good. You do have a point that it could be more confusing but my thought is that people that have absolutely no idea about how the galaxy works will get a basic idea on how stars orbit.

Both of us will agree that a galaxy with 10-20 systems is extremely far fetched but imo it is the most realistic way to approach it. Maybe not. What the hell do it know. 

I do not like your second point because even though it would have basically no impact in gameplay it feels like a lie. Its a bit ironic in that the visually more realistic approach is more unrealistic from my point of view. 

I am 100% aware of the point you are making. Elite dangerous. Its a 1:1 scale of the milky way. Plants and moons orbit at a scale of 1:1 but stars do not. Its pointless from a game play point of you. Since elite is far beyond the scale of KSP I am looking at it from a different approach.  I do not understand why you are explaining how the milkyway works to me. I know enough about the milkyway to know I know nothing. I hope you get what I mean by that :) 

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

Ok I think we are actually on the same page about this but lost I must have missed something. 

This is the scale I was talking about. Visually It doesn't look great and to be honest and I would rather it to be a bit more spiral like the milky way. If you skip forward you can see a galaxy core near the end. The mod is really basic but good for people with warp drive mods. I cannot remember the performance anymore because I just tested it for a few minutes. I doubt it works great however. Maybe it does. I'm just thinking the scale would be good. You do have a point that it could be more confusing but my thought is that people that have absolutely no idea about how the galaxy works will get a basic idea on how stars orbit.

Both of us will agree that a galaxy with 10-20 systems is extremely far fetched but imo it is the most realistic way to approach it. Maybe not. What the hell do it know. 

I do not like your second point because even though it would have basically no impact in gameplay it feels like a lie. Its a bit ironic in that the visually more realistic approach is more unrealistic from my point of view. 

I am 100% aware of the point you are making. Elite dangerous. Its a 1:1 scale of the milky way. Plants and moons orbit at a scale of 1:1 but stars do not. Its pointless from a game play point of you. Since elite is far beyond the scale of KSP I am looking at it from a different approach.  I do not understand why you are explaining how the milkyway works to me. I know enough about the milkyway to know I know nothing. I hope you get what I mean by that :) 

Ok cool I felt like we were just on different wavelengths for a bit :p

I honestly wouldnt mind either way it goes. If theres the possibility a mod could be made for procedural generation of star systems then the larger scale one could actually fill out or the smaller scale one could expand. Hoping down the road intergalactic travel becomes possible with modding as well as special relativity just to push the edges like multiple solar system mods pushed KSP 1

58 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Ok cool I felt like we were just on different wavelengths for a bit :p

I honestly wouldnt mind either way it goes. If theres the possibility a mod could be made for procedural generation of star systems then the larger scale one could actually fill out or the smaller scale one could expand. Hoping down the road intergalactic travel becomes possible with modding as well as special relativity just to push the edges like multiple solar system mods pushed KSP 1

I dont really expect that much of a leap in the new game. Best to keep exceptions at a minimum. For me performance matters the most but even then I do not expect wonders. 

7 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Why do you even play the game if things like this bother you? I would think its a joke but your other 2 points are valid. 

It, and the other 2 points, don't bother me. That's my point.

Minor realism sacrifices are made to simplify things for players, modders, and even for the programmers. No argument for stellar movement has convinced me it's worth the extra work for the programmers to make it harder for modders to add new stars and players to use them.

19 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

No argument for stellar movement has convinced me it's worth the extra work for the programmers to make it harder for modders to add new stars and players to use them.

Stellar movement is no different to the current orbital mechanics. If star systems were implemented just like planetary systems then the overall design would remain the same. Its a performance issue. It all depends on how big the galaxy/cluster or whatever it is in ksp2. That being said performance is more important to me than interstellar anyway.

8 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Stellar movement is no different to the current orbital mechanics. If star systems were implemented just like planetary systems then the overall design would remain the same. Its a performance issue. It all depends on how big the galaxy/cluster or whatever it is in ksp2. That being said performance is more important to me than interstellar anyway.

+ 1