Terrain Jitter v1.8.1 x64 in Win7x64

• 1 month later...

I've seen this in Win10 KSP x64 as well, after dropping a lander onto Duna.  At first it looks like the terrain is shaking.  After popping in and out of the map view, the terrain stopped, but the lander was still shaking.  I've also upvoted the relevant bug on the tracker.

I'll add GNU/linux as an affected platform, and frankly I expect this will be the case for MacOS as well. Looks like someone failed to adequately test the new shiny in this release... Again. As usual. This is why we can't have nice things. :rolleyes:

Looks like a float induced problem.

To overcome the lesser accuracy of floats, the Universe needs to be constantly "rewired" to keep the 0.0 (origin) into the current vessel, so any error caused by the float imprecision on large mantissas would happen beyound visual range. KSP uses two superimposed cameras, by the way, to better cope with ground details (it's that "line" on the ocean as you approach the water).

I think that they forgot to "rewire" the coordinates for the textures.

Presumably they would have fixed this for 1.9 so it doesn't spoil the Kerbin revamp, though I suppose it spoiled whatever revamps that were in 1.8 when it was included in the build seemingly unnoticed.  Technicalfool, who is on the QA staff, is active in the official bug report so rest assured they at least know about it.  Of course, please upvote if you are so inclined.  At least it feels like you're contributing.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/24061

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.