I think we are going to have an autopilot of some sorts

Before launching there is a countdown before you launch what means it knows when you launch so an autopilot is probably the reason a launch countdown exists. And also a torchship’s trajectory what is a brachistochrone Path needs a fair bit of math to figure out and accomplish along with interstellar flight paths, probably a bit more than an Hohmann transfer. I think that at least a maneuver node planner will be implemented to let us make these advanced maneuvers. Any thoughts?

On 5/7/2020 at 4:58 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

Before launching there is a countdown before you launch what means it knows when you launch so an autopilot is probably the reason a launch countdown exists. And also a torchship’s trajectory what is a brachistochrone Path needs a fair bit of math to figure out and accomplish along with interstellar flight paths, probably a bit more than an Hohmann transfer. I think that at least a maneuver node planner will be implemented to let us make these advanced maneuvers. Any thoughts?

Or, it just presses spacebar for you when it reaches zero. 

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

Or, it just presses spacebar for you when it reaches zero. 

shhh, i like thinking autopilot would be a thing.

2 hours ago, Lewie said:

Oh crikey...if the brachistochrone trajectories require lots of math...argh. I barely even use math is ksp, I just wing it, see what goes wrong, fix that, etc.   

13 minutes ago, DAC-1 said:

How does Scott Manley warp when under acceleration?  I cannot get KSP to do this.

Physwarp, alt+timewarp button, can only do x4, unless you have a mod.

Edited by The Aziz

On 5/7/2020 at 11:58 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

And also a torchship’s trajectory what is a brachistochrone Path needs a fair bit of math to figure out and accomplish along with interstellar flight paths

They might need more maths to figure out, but it isn't hard to actually make a beeline for a planet in KSP.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

They might need more maths to figure out, but it isn't hard to actually make a beeline for a planet in KSP.

The hard part is knowing when to flip and start your retroburn so you end up in a nice orbit.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:49 PM, shdwlrd said:

The hard part is knowing when to flip and start your retroburn so you end up in a nice orbit.

Halfway, assuming constant acceleration.

You can get approximately this if craft mass hasn't changed much due to having an obscene Isp (thus consumed propellent is only a small % of starting mass).... you limit acceleration as your craft gets lighter.

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Halfway, assuming constant acceleration.

You can get approximately this if craft mass hasn't changed much due to having an obscene Isp (thus consumed propellent is only a small % of starting mass).... you limit acceleration as your craft gets lighter.

Easy enough when you're in a system. But traveling interstellar, you would want something to say you need to start slowing down.