Enzmann starships

I think Enzmann starships would be a great addition to ksp 2. a enzmann starship is a type of interstellar spacecraft that has a a three million ton ball of deuterium in the front of the ship which would power the fusion engines. the crew habitation would be between the engines and the ball of deuterium. 

the reason i think this would be a great addition to ksp 2 is that it is one of the most realistic starship concepts ever thought of.

i also think the more types of starships we can build the more possibility's  open up to us players.

enzmann.jpg

Actually that configuration has some problems. The structural strength has to be sufficient to support the ball of deuterium against acceleration, the radiation from the fusion engines could be too intense and so it would need massive shielding, and a lot more.

The most realistic starship concepts are generally puller vehicles - the entire ship is kept in tension. Should have better performance and it can be made much longer so any crew can be well shielded by both distance and whatever is between them and the engines. Of course any interstellar vehicle will be a difficult engineering challenge. But the Enzmann starship and similar vehicle configurations may prove more challenging.

Still it could be a fun addition, though I think the game would be just fine without it since you can probably build one yourself with the in-game parts.

The Enzmann project is complete slag. Especially since I heard about him for the first time in some kind of basement of the Internet.

2 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

the game would be just fine without it since you can probably build one yourself with the in-game parts.

This.

Remember it's still partially a building sandbox, so instead of getting one, we should be able to make one. Only constraints are laws of physics.

29 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

This.

Remember it's still partially a building sandbox, so instead of getting one, we should be able to make one. Only constraints are laws of physics.

I understood the translation of this work so poorly. So what type of fusion rocket engine is used for Enzmann?

Because, judging by the drawings, I see some steel rolled into a nozzle (like a regular chemical liquid engine), but at the same time supporting the Fusion reaction.
Enzmann starship - Wikipedia

Edited by OOM

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

these things are way too big for KSP, I don't care if your shadowzone or not a mile long ship with a giant three million ton ball of frozen deuterium strapped to the front is just impossible.

The eggs hurt after the experiment.:D
04e476076f1d953c36f1c544b4e40047.png

Edited by OOM

17 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

100kt of deuterium, 1.85 BILLION funds... :confused:

I can think of a few better ways of flying interstellar that don't require 55 billion funds just for the fuel...

That does bring up a topic though, how are we going to fund these interstellar projects, not the lifters but the giant colony’s and recourses needed to construct craft in lko 

9 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

That does bring up a topic though, how are we going to fund these interstellar projects, not the lifters but the giant colony’s and recourses needed to construct craft in lko 

Colonies in space/on other planets. That station orbiting Jool in the trailer with the huge tanks and the Daedalus drive ship beside it certainly implies as much- my guess is it was harvesting fusion reactants like helium-3 from the planetary atmo/exosphere. Separating the ability to unlock parts and the ability to actually use them without hideous costs would be one way to prevent science-farming within Kerbin's SOI then immediately going interstellar without going to other nearby planets first, and make colony building a more important part of the game.

Also, by not using three megatons of deuterium!

I do wonder if there is going to be a very basic economy system; for example in Spore the price of spices varied depending on color and how common they were on the planet.

So if you had a colony producing the rarest spice (it was either blue or purple) it would sell it to you for pennies. But would buy Red spice for a massive markup (the most common). So if KSP had colonies who's main purpose was to produce megatons of deuterium, then it would make sense to drive the cost down or barter it for supplies normally not considered rare.

9 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

I do wonder if there is going to be a very basic economy system; for example in Spore the price of spices varied depending on color and how common they were on the planet.

So if you had a colony producing the rarest spice (it was either blue or purple) it would sell it to you for pennies. But would buy Red spice for a massive markup (the most common). So if KSP had colonies who's main purpose was to produce megatons of deuterium, then it would make sense to drive the cost down or barter it for supplies normally not considered rare.

I think it would just be cheaper in the orbital or colonial vab unless there is a way to land deliver recourses to the KSC. I don’t think there will be autonomous ships that magically deliver resources, I think you need to do that yourself. Kerbal space program not kerbal space economy

I can’t see why you couldn’t design a craft like this, nor why some of you seem so upset about the possibility. It’s a cool concept.

1 hour ago, boidtman123 said:

I mean it is WAY more plausible then a antimatter powered spacecraft or warp ship.

Antimatter isn’t actually that impossible all it needs is fusion technology and a better way to contain and secure antiprotons

52 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

And mind you we've been creating the stuff since the 50s in the form of positrons. So the underpinning science is fairly solid.

At our current rate of science we could have antimatter tech within 100 years, fusion within ~20 and if KSP takes place in about 200 years in the future then antimatter tech should be in the game

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

At our current rate of science we could have antimatter tech within 100 years, fusion within ~20 and if KSP takes place in about 200 years in the future then antimatter tech should be in the game

I'm not that optimistic on Antimatter; production isn't the hard part. It's storage and distribution, and i think that will leave it reserved for military applications well into the future.

That all said; i wouldn't have any issue with KSP2 having AM drives. Especially if they allow us to tap natural resoviors of the stuff such as Supermassive Black Holes, Magnatars etc.

54 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

I'm not that optimistic on Antimatter; production isn't the hard part. It's storage and distribution, and i think that will leave it reserved for military applications well into the future.

That all said; i wouldn't have any issue with KSP2 having AM drives. Especially if they allow us to tap natural resoviors of the stuff such as Supermassive Black Holes, Magnatars etc.

yeah the storage is the only real problem, trying to keep matter out and keeping the antimatter stable. no giant explosions just the antimatter doesnt like existing.