On 10/3/2020 at 2:18 AM, KerikBalm said:

So the solution to a boring ball of rock not being worth visiting is to add smaller boring balls of rock around it?

16 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Dres is a boring world! And there aren't enough of them!

I'm piddling with creating my own solar system. But here's the thing, even though it may be "boring" there's still a lot of excitement I see. I get happy whenever I land on it and other "boring" rocky worlds no matter how many times I've landed on them. There are plenty of things you can do to add another body around Dres. You can literally use ModuleManager and put a copy of Minmus into orbit around Dres. Just an idea...

On 10/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, adsii1970 said:

I'm piddling with creating my own solar system. But here's the thing, even though it may be "boring" there's still a lot of excitement I see. I get happy whenever I land on it and other "boring" rocky worlds no matter how many times I've landed on them. 

Yes, it was a bit tongue in cheek.

I quoted someone who also seemed to think that moho is not worth visiting.

I disagree with that idea, but I accepted it for the purpose of debate - if one accepts that premise, then I don't really see how adding a moon helps

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 9:17 PM, The rocket exploder said:

I think to make dres worth it to visit is by, maybe allowing you to rendezvous with a drestoid and you could get science from that. Similar to asteroids but with different textures.

You can already gather science by taking samples from asteroids, and they're pretty easy to rendezvous with their low, mostly circular equatorial orbit and low orbital velocity. Put a lab in dres' orbit with refuel capacity and you can go from asteroid to asteroid gathering science indefinitely - rendezvous with the asteroid, gather a sample and then move to the next one. Or you could lower the orbit for another sample, and if you're brave land it for yet another sample.

Though more experiments with asteroids would be nice. At the very least the Gravioli detector should be able to measure the asteroid's gravity.

As it is I view Dres as having a better risk+effort/reward relationship than Eve - the ton of biomes isn't worth the chore of navigating around it to gather science given it's characteristics and it's moon Gilly having only 3 biomes is hardly worth it either.

I figured out dres's purpose while doing mining vehicles many versions ago. It is or was a source of guaranteed near maxed sized asteroids and one point in the game. The point of dres was to get to minimal orbit and then capture or hook onto a roid and mine. Anything else you could probably do with a smaller vehicle.

I think they have added bigger roids since. So, I'm curious if it has bigger one's now or if there is a new spot for the even larger asteroids.

NVM, everyone else mentioned this. It's a great spot for very large mining vehicles. Or just very large vehicles on the way around the solar system. If you have the delta V.

End story: It technically has moons. It has spawnable mini moons.

Edited by Arugela

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.