SRB's won't work?

Good day all.

I had like others the newest ver 10.1 of KSP for a bit now.

However a couple of big problems have come up?

1 > all my SRB's either the in game ones or any new modded ones, now won't fire up at launch?

You set them along with the main rockets to fire at the launch and the SRB's will not fire up at all. the small separator solid rockets do work though?

2 > game play FPS has dropped down hugely to around 10 Frames a second and even starting the game up and closing it down are really ultra slow! 

And this is even though I have a new fast Graphics Card which has 8 Gb of DDR3 RAM Onboard plus the same Amount of RAM in the fast gaming PC RAM slot. 

It takes now up to 20 minutes for the game to load and the close down can be over 10 minute often freezing up part through then I fight with it to close it down even using the Program Manager and the ESC key many times!

I have only the making history update installed btw.

No breaking ground yet. the amount of mods is 165 all updated to the new version and had newer mod updates too.

( but I only now had troubles, not before and had more mods than this )

I never had this trouble before even though I have allot of mods installed by CKAN.

What is the problem?

Anyone know what I need to do.

Thanks.

It isn’t your graphics card- unless you have a load of graphics mods and/or the settings turned all the way up, graphics aren’t the limiting factor for KSP. You’re probably running near the limits of RAM or CPU, and if it’s the CPU then you can’t do anything about it; check your RAM and CPU usage as the game is loading and running and see if either the RAM use gets close to 100% or one CPU core hits maximum.

For slow loading, it’s the hard drive that’s to blame- plus with that many mods it’ll take even longer to load everything in and then compile the code before the game is ready. Try clearing space on the hard drive to make it run a bit faster, especially if it’s close to being full. A SSD is much faster than a normal HDD and can help load times especially with more heavily modded instances of KSP.

You’ll also get slow performance with high part count vessels, especially with several of them in physics range (2.5km or so).

Hi Jimmmymcgoochie,

Thanks for your good reply!

I just checked the RAM use and yes your right when the KSP game froze on me yesterday when 

I was playing it, The Device Manager show CPU  ( Quad Core ) level of use was at 10 max out the 100% usable.

But the System RAM (8 Gb ) was hovering around 98 to 99% of max. 

I had to many times keep pressing the ESC key and doing the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys a few times to get the Device Manager up to stop the game

even them the KSP game was fighting me to stop! after 5 minutes I got it to stop the now non-responding game?

I have a fast HD ( 54000 RPM ) I not really keen on getting a SSD one as I read and heard bad things about them?

So it looks like maybe more System RAM is needed.   Do you agree? I was looking at getting about 8Gb more!

My System can hold a max of 32 Gb.  I must say it sure odd this RAM thing with KSP.

All my other high graphic games run like water no problems and some are high level on graphics too.

Just KSP has to be a pain.

Not sure what's happening with the SRBs. Obviously check your staging - the editor tends to mess with your staging if you make any design changes. You can change staging in game too - just drag and drop. And it likes to change your crew too.

Yeah KSP is not well optimized IMO. It still has a memory management problem and it only uses a fraction the CPU capability. I have had huge ships/ stations > 700 parts that run very slow and they start to get unresponsive. 

Honestly, there's no such thing a a fast HDD. And 5400 RPM is not fast at all. 7200 was normal for a desktop and 10,000 RPM is actually "fast". SSDs are faster. Heard bad things? I've had several HDDs break but never an SSD (so far). But that will only help your load times, not framerate. 

The dev's claiming KSP runs on 4 GB is just BS. I had 6 GB and it was so bad after playing an hour. Now I have 12 and it's much better, but it still slows down after playing a few hours, especially with ships >400 parts and career saves with many ships. With 8 GB, I'd try this first:

That should help stop the memory from filling up.  Another option is to start using TweakScale (or Procedural Parts)  to reduce your part count. 

On 11/2/2020 at 4:04 AM, Steller dude 63 said:

But the System RAM (8 Gb ) was hovering around 98 to 99% of max. 

I had to many times keep pressing the ESC key and doing the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys a few times to get the Device Manager up to stop the game

even them the KSP game was fighting me to stop! after 5 minutes I got it to stop the now non-responding game?

I have a fast HD ( 54000 RPM ) I not really keen on getting a SSD one as I read and heard bad things about them?

So it looks like maybe more System RAM is needed.   Do you agree? I was looking at getting about 8Gb more!

Yes, it's definitely RAM depletion you're experiencing. When I first played KSP, I only had 4 GB of RAM and experienced the exact same symptoms as you to the point where it took the game around 15 minutes to finish shutting down whenever it crashed (and it crashed a lot) and loading times between screens were off the charts (I could literally go and have a full dinner while the game loaded). Then I got 8 GB more RAM for a total of 12 GB and KSP runs much smoother now. Still not perfect (my CPU is also underpowered), but way better than before, to the point where I can actually leave Chrome running on my second monitor now.

So yes, go ahead and stick more RAM into your PC because KSP is one hell of a glutton with it.

Edited by Fraktal

Hello Krazt1,

Thanks for the information, I have installed this mod now.

And will be checking on it today!  I most likely be still upgrading my RAM asap.

But as said, KSP is a very picky game even on the simple stuff.

We all love it, But also sort of dislike it at the same time.

Hopefully the KSP 2.0 when it comes out be better?

Thanks Fraktal,

Seems the KSP game did what it did to me to also?

Hope you have a better time too soon!

I know I will if the RAM upgrading does it's job. 

Just the damn cost of RAM now it never seems to get lower in cost unlike other stuff you buy!

It in fact not only don't lower in cost as the tech moves on, it instead stay's up in cost and sometime goes up?

Oh well, the fight goings on...

All the best fellow KSP gamer.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:01 PM, Steller dude 63 said:

It takes now up to 20 minutes for the game to load and the close down can be over 10 minute often freezing up part through then I fight with it to close it down even using the Program Manager and the ESC key many times!

Reduce your resolution in the game to 1/2 or even 1/4 resolution.  

Hello Linxgurugamer,

Thanks for the idea!

I will see what happens? 

Although at this time even though I got

a 4K 43 inch Screen which has the far higher resolution than the normal TV,

I am only using the game resolution that is standard setting used normally.

But I understand what you getting at!  The resolution of the game will effect the processing 

of the image data and the amount of RAM needed to do it.

At this point any idea helps? 

Until I can afford the pricey RAM upgrade that is!

And 

Krazy1..

Thanks for the idea of using the MemGraph mod, It seems to helped a bit on the frame rates in game.

The game is a little better now, But still freezes up sometimes and

crashes with the 98 to 99% Memory used seen again in the game.

Just keep on going I guess until we see what fixes the fault?

Cheers all. :wink:

Hello all,

I thought I update you on something I found on the game to do with this SRB problem!

I did some tests of the SRB's in the list to see if any did work at all since I had some game mod updates?

I found that the solid small separator rockets do work,

and the new Moores SRB's also work.

( they have a built in one sided sloped nose cone & belong to a mod called "Phoenix Industries"  with the blue bird icon on them )

But none of the rest work at all?

So at least those two are usable.

Shame to rest are not still.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.