Since we're about to leave the solar system... Equivalent of Kuiper Belt maybe?

The Aziz

I tried to add a Kerbal pun but it already has K in it, oh well.

I mean, in first game, we have near Kerbin asteroids, Dresteroids, randomly spawned comets, and I fully expect all of them to be included in the sequel, but I assume we'll be spending quite a bit of time near the edges of the solar system (or rather, solar systems, plural), prepping for interstellar voyages, so why not add something there? Just another asteroid field, just in case you wanted to do some lightweight mining, without setting up a colony on Eeloo (or whatever outer exoplanet we'll get)

On 12/13/2020 at 5:24 AM, The Aziz said:

Eeloo (or whatever outer exoplanet we'll get)

I hope it is eeloo we get. I hope they take the current Kerbin system and just re use it while optimising and editing the planets as needed. With that said, I'd also like to see a Kuiper belt style asteriod field, I'd also like to see a regular one somewhere past Duna, but then the system would be too close to the real life system we live in. All I want is for KSP2 to have life on Kerbin, i.e cities, multiplayer, the same solar system for kerbin, and MOAR PARTS.

I think this would be a lovely idea. I don't think it necessarily makes sense to "prep" for interstellar voyages at the edge of the solar system, but as an interesting and potentially science-rich destination in its own right, I think the Kuiper belt would be a great addition. Similarly, a heliopause region and an Oort (Koort?) cloud even further beyond that would be interesting too! The heliopause could be a region of space that could be studied as a spacecraft travels through it at interstellar-voyage speeds, without needing to slow down and rendezvous with a body; potentially a good way to pick up some bonus science while en route to another star, and another incentive to build a Kerbal version of the Voyager probes. :) And an Oort cloud even father out — a large fraction of the distance to the next nearest star! — would be cool. In real life, some comets come from the Oort cloud, so it would be interesting to see that incorporated into KSP2's take on the Kerbol system. :) 

Edited by Multivac

Expanding the kerbin system as an intermediate to interstellar travel is a really good idea, and I hope that they do it, and it would be a shame if they didn't just because they wanted to keep the kerbin system the same.

I want OPM+ kuiper belt to include eris, makemake, hamua, and Sedna analogues.

Heck, throw in a hypothetical planet 9 analogue.

Even if planet 9 doesn't exist, something similar could exist, and kerbin system != Sol system.

It would be a great distant (but not interstellar level distant) place to go to after the ksp1 planets that are all perfectly reachable with standard chemical propulsion

If rings consist of a region of procedurally generated asteroids I dont see why the kuiper belt couldn't be the same, albeit many orders of magnitude less dense, so we honestly wouldn't notice it much. Pretty sure its much less dense than the asteroid belt and even there youd be lucky, or ridiculously unlucky is more like it, to just just happen upon an asteroid if you were just randomly floating out there looking for them.