[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

FYI the Kopernicus team has figured out the issue that was making Kopernicus break on the latest update with RP-1. An additional workaround is now available that will probably be deployed by the RP-1 team shortly, in the text file /GameData/Parallax/Config/ParallaxGlobal.cfg please set "enableScatters" to false.
Standard scatters should still work, to my knowledge the RP-1 team does not use Parallax scatters, and having it on while not using them was causing some kind of weird parallax Kopernicus joint bug that would've been very hard to see coming. Apologies.

EDIT: RP-1 has deployed this fix in their configs, meaning you can safely update now.

EDIT EDIT:  A full incident report and summary of the bug that caused this (which is not going to be fixed because it's so obscure and easy to work around) has been added to the Bugs and Caveats document, as bug entry #8.  Tl;dr:  If you use the deprecated unsupported option "cbNameLater" with Parallax scatters, oddities may happen.  Really, just avoid cbNameLater if at all possible people, it will make your life easier.

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-193:

1.) Hotfix for some obscure cbNameLater bugs involving RealismOverhaul. PS: This is a deprecated function, but we keep it about because it has no direct replacement and some big mods depend on it. Please strongly consider using anything else if you are able.

See Known Bugs & Caveats for known bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I'm trying to find a solution, but I'm not able to do it. I'm trying to change the orbital properties (inclination, eccentricity ecc...) of the planets (stock system) to mach the real ones.

I know that there are a lot of mods, but these mods apply some name chaneges to the planets wich I don't like.

can you please help me??

1 hour ago, davide96 said:

Hello guys, I'm trying to find a solution, but I'm not able to do it. I'm trying to change the orbital properties (inclination, eccentricity ecc...) of the planets (stock system) to mach the real ones.

I know that there are a lot of mods, but these mods apply some name chaneges to the planets wich I don't like.

can you please help me??

Just do the following, adding in extra @Body nodes for each additional body that you want to modify.  If there is some orbital element that you don't want to change, then just omit it.  When completed, save it as a plain text file but with a .cfg extension (you can name it anything).  Then place the saved .cfg file anywhere inside the GameData folder of your KSP installation.

@Kopernicus
{
	@Body[Moho]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			inclination = new value
			eccentricity = new value
			semiMajorAxis = new value
			longitudeOfAscendingNode = new value
			argumentOfPeriapsis = new value
			meanAnomalyAtEpoch = new value
			epoch = new value
		}
	}
	@Body[Eve]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			inclination = new value
			eccentricity = new value
			epoch = new value
		}
	}
}

Edited by OhioBob

29 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Just do the following, adding in extra @Body nodes for each additional body that you want to modify.  If there is some orbital element that you don't want to change, then just omit it.  When completed, save it as a plain text file but with a .cfg extension (you can name it anything).  Then place the saved .cfg file anywhere inside the GameData folder of your KSP installation.

@Kopernicus
{
	@Body[Moho]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			inclination = new value
			eccentricity = new value
			epoch = new value
		}
	}
	@Body[Eve]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			inclination = new value
			eccentricity = new value
			epoch = new value
		}
	}
}

Thanks man!!!

11 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Not sure if its MPE or Kopernicus. When I have MPE installed and am on the surface of some bodies the game stutters like crazy. No other mods installed. 

You should probably report it to MPE.  Let the MPE devs figure out whether it's their mod or Kopernicus.

On 11/27/2023 at 9:50 AM, dave1904 said:

Not sure if its MPE or Kopernicus. When I have MPE installed and am on the surface of some bodies the game stutters like crazy. No other mods installed. 

They likely have subdivision minLevel of the PQS set too high for such a small body.  Just what I would guess.  That would result in it trying to make insanely detailed terrain to the point it errors out, much like setting tessellation way too high.  Either way at this point in Kopernicus's dev process (in which we are mostly stable) I would suspect a pack configuration issue before anything else.  So yeah, report it to the pack authors and link this post perhaps if they need pointers.

There is also a small chance that if the body is less than 250m is radii that the actual landing detection code is screwing up, because it kind of relies on celestial bodies being bigger than that as a "safe zone."  If you could gather some data on which bodies cause this, and what planet pack they are from, I could take a look at whether it is a Kopernicus bug or not, and provide pointers on a fix regardless.

Edited by R-T-B

After updating my 2060 GPU ( because sleep disappeared and ksp2 was lagging ) for some reason this mod kept crashing my game even if I tried a older version, anyone has a reason on why this is happening? If yes, how could I keep Kopernicus from crashing the game? 

On 11/30/2023 at 12:01 AM, R-T-B said:

They likely have subdivision minLevel of the PQS set too high for such a small body.  Just what I would guess.  That would result in it trying to make insanely detailed terrain to the point it errors out, much like setting tessellation way too high.  Either way at this point in Kopernicus's dev process (in which we are mostly stable) I would suspect a pack configuration issue before anything else.  So yeah, report it to the pack authors and link this post perhaps if they need pointers.

There is also a small chance that if the body is less than 250m is radii that the actual landing detection code is screwing up, because it kind of relies on celestial bodies being bigger than that as a "safe zone."  If you could gather some data on which bodies cause this, and what planet pack they are from, I could take a look at whether it is a Kopernicus bug or not, and provide pointers on a fix regardless.

Minor Planets expansion.  

My descripion of the issue was bad. Soden and Ervo. Probably other planets. If you teleport there the performance is ok. Once you timewarp the problems start. It would seem like a loading issue. Its probably MPE. The reason why I am asking here is because noone has seemed to have reported the issue there and Its not like its hard to miss. Its unplayable. Was wondering if it was a new version of kopernicus. 

If anyone ever needs it i created a PDF document from the Kopernicus Wiki  site for offline use and quicker reference when creating KSP thingies using kopernicus.. Every section is broken down and bookmarked for easy searching and organization. I made it to ease going back and forth from browser to game to notepad++ then having to jump around the wiki and have pages always loading. This seemed like a good option to have if you're doing to the same.

TIP: You can also click the blue links on each page and it will bring you to the same linked page as it would it you were online. IE The links on the pages themselves work within the pdf.

You download it here  from my google drive.

NOTICE: I did not make or create this wiki or documentation,. I only printed to wiki contents to pdf and compiled it into a single pdf and added organizational bookmarks.

Screenshots:

9mlyCxh.jpg

KRTgnwR.jpg

4k6Oxsu.jpg

rKVsSer.jpg+++

2 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Minor Planets expansion.  

My descripion of the issue was bad. Soden and Ervo. Probably other planets. If you teleport there the performance is ok. Once you timewarp the problems start. It would seem like a loading issue. Its probably MPE. The reason why I am asking here is because noone has seemed to have reported the issue there and Its not like its hard to miss. Its unplayable. Was wondering if it was a new version of kopernicus. 

You might be experiencing one of the bugs KSPCF fixes.  Basically the orbit solver built into the game doesn't handle custom systems well if they have bodies that are "far out" or highly eccentric and can spazz out with random lag on timewarp on those bodies.  If you install KSPCF it will fix that bug.

36 minutes ago, Astra Infinitum said:

If anyone ever needs it i created a PDF document from the Kopernicus Wiki  site for offline use and quicker reference when creating KSP thingies using kopernicus.. Every section is broken down and bookmarked for easy searching and organization. I made it to ease going back and forth from browser to game to notepad++ then having to jump around the wiki and have pages always loading. This seemed like a good option to have if you're doing to the same.

TIP: You can also click the blue links on each page and it will bring you to the same linked page as it would it you were online. IE The links on the pages themselves work within the pdf.

You download it here  from my google drive.

NOTICE: I did not make or create this wiki or documentation,. I only printed to wiki contents to pdf and compiled it into a single pdf and added organizational bookmarks.

Screenshots:

9mlyCxh.jpg

KRTgnwR.jpg

4k6Oxsu.jpg

rKVsSer.jpg+++

This could be handy for some users, thanks for doing it! 

Though clearly the docs are helpful, we still do need to update our docs pretty bad though...  *sighs*

Edited by R-T-B

12 hours ago, R-T-B said:

You might be experiencing one of the bugs KSPCF fixes.  Basically the orbit solver built into the game doesn't handle custom systems well if they have bodies that are "far out" or highly eccentric and can spazz out with random lag on timewarp on those bodies.  If you install KSPCF it will fix that bug.

12 hours ago, Astra Infinitum said:

Did not work unfortunately. Ive posted it in the MPE Topic. Thanks anyway!

While im here. One some planets I get a stutter when Im 100m from landing. Its loading assets I think. I think I asked you this once before and you knew the issue. I forgot :confused:

Edited by dave1904

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 12:55 AM, dave1904 said:

Did not work unfortunately. Ive posted it in the MPE Topic. Thanks anyway!

While im here. One some planets I get a stutter when Im 100m from landing. Its loading assets I think. I think I asked you this once before and you knew the issue. I forgot :confused:

There are a lot of things that run within 100m of the terrain to prevent a bug known as the "Sinking bug" that occurs on anything more distant from the center sun than stock Eeloo (basically you would previously sink into terrain on those bodies randomly and die, lol).  These will affect performance slightly, but shouldn't be too heavy.  I think it's more likely that there is some issue with the pack in question, again.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Good luck.

If you want to risk the sinking bug at the possiblility of improving performance, you can try turning off Kopernicus GUI option "DisableDistantColliders" to disable such bug fixes that run within 100m of a body.

Also, new release.  This one just contains an option to help some our planet packs with truly interstellar grade ranges:

New in this latest version release-195:

1.) Add option TrulyMassiveSystem, which trades some optimizations and potential bugs for working better with well, Truly Massive Systems.  Helps stabilize manauever nodes in such environments. Small performance hit. Default false.

2.) The above option was not added to Kopernicus GUI because it is really more for pack authors.  Find it in the Kopernicus_Config.cfg file after a run of the game.

Edited by R-T-B

• 3 weeks later...

New in this latest bleeding edge prerelease version release-196 RC1:

1.) Added Kopernicus_Config.cfg option HomeWorldName, a string, default set to "Kerbin." This option enables you to for the first time ever, to have a homeworld and KSC at something other than a body named "Kerbin" by changing this simple option, without mucking about with displayName, or worse, cbNameLater, a deprecated option. cbNameLater will likely be removed in the near future if this works well.

2.) Note you can't just randomly swap your homeworld, you need to edit in a KSC into your target site like always. This feature is more for pack authors.

3.) Because this change involved a lot of restructuring of Kopernicus (which for years, has assumed the homeworld will always be "Kerbin"), this is a bleeding edge testing release for at least a few days.

Edited by R-T-B

On 5/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, R-T-B said:

I've not heard that one reported.  Can anyone else test this and confirm?  Personally I kind of expect another mod conflict at play... but could be wrong.

Sorry for my absence...  another game had my attention for a bit.  But back to kerbal now. :)

I'm having the Kerbnet offline problem whenever I install the latest version of Kopernicus (or any version that works with 1.12.5 for that matter).

Mods:

• [x] Science!
  • Adjustment Tool
  • Better Time Warp Continued
  • Connected Living Spaces
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator
  • Hangar Extender
  • HeapPadder
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next
  • Kopernicus (I was going to install Galaxies Unbound when I noticed this problem)
  • kOS
  • KSP Community Fixes
  • KSP Interstellar Extended
  • Lazy Painter
  • Mechjeb 2
  • Part Angle Display Continued
  • Part Wizard Continued
  • Precise Editor Continued
  • ReCoupler
  • Space Age
  • Textures Unlimited
  • TweakScale
  • WasdEditorCameraContinued

I can provide a log if it'd help.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hexeract said:

I'm having the Kerbnet offline problem whenever I install the latest version of Kopernicus (or any version that works with 1.12.5 for that matter).

Mods:

• [x] Science!
  • Adjustment Tool
  • Better Time Warp Continued
  • Connected Living Spaces
  • Docking Port Alignment Indicator
  • Hangar Extender
  • HeapPadder
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next
  • Kopernicus (I was going to install Galaxies Unbound when I noticed this problem)
  • kOS
  • KSP Community Fixes
  • KSP Interstellar Extended
  • Lazy Painter
  • Mechjeb 2
  • Part Angle Display Continued
  • Part Wizard Continued
  • Precise Editor Continued
  • ReCoupler
  • Space Age
  • Textures Unlimited
  • TweakScale
  • WasdEditorCameraContinued

I can provide a log if it'd help.

I never use Kerbnet but I'll look into it as it does appear it is a legit issue.  Thanks for the report.

Also, the new release has been promoted to stable, plus a bugfix to go with it:

New in this latest version release-196:

1.) At some point recently, a bug was introduced that made Kopernicus_Config parameters hard if not impossible to patch with ModuleManager. This has been fixed.

2.) As the new planetary option code seems stable after a day of playing with it, we are marking this release as stable. Do keep in mind some mods need to be made aware of this new option for it to work with any value other than "Kerbin." Scatterer is one such case. PRs incoming.

Edited by R-T-B

Just for users info we have discovered the latest HomeWorldName changes don't play well with existing mods using cbNameLater.  Most will probably update shortly, but for an example of how users can fix this fairly simple issue, here is an example MM config for RSS.  Just drop in a .cfg file anywhere in GameData:

@Kopernicus_config
{
	HomeWorldName = Earth
}

Posted (edited)

New in this latest version release-197:

1.) We have added fallback behavior for proper loading if a planet pack doesn't like the new HomeWorldName option, or is not updated for it, in particular cbNameLater users (Sorry about that RSS users).

Edited by R-T-B

• 1 month later...

New in this latest version release-198:

1.) Bugfix for incorrectly dark exported Kittopia Heightmaps. They are now set with an appropriate darkness floor. Rejoice people who use Kittopia!

2.) That's it, yes I know it's not much. Yes I know I also have a feature request backlog. I'll likely get to those next release. Which may be a lil bit due to a lot of work in real life. In the meantime, enjoy the patch.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for a bit of a hiatus there, my cat pushed my server system at our home off its nice neat shelf and wrecked its old HDD, so I spent the last month or two in data recovery mode.

Regarding Kopernicus: Next release will be dropping soon, and it will be mostly under the hood stuff to support upcoming features and maybe slightly improve performance.  No new features on the stable build most of you use just yet, but...

There will be a prerelease version as well testing some new requested features (not quite comfortable with mainlining them just yet).  The most prominent one is a long requested backlogged feature that is a lil bit evil:  land scatters that can kill kerbals! 

PS: Don't worry, this new feature is for planet pack creators and won't just randomly poof your kerbonauts out of nowhere.  Old packs and packs without this new node will have the same friendly scatters as ever.  I'm just adding commonly requested stuff, heh.

Edited by R-T-B