[1.12.x] Kopernicus Stable branch (Last Updated February 12th, 2024)

R-T-B

New in this latest version release-183:

1.) A Kopernicus GUI cleanup was performed. Several options that only mod-makers would use were moved to be "config file only" and no longer show in the GUI, which was getting messy. Those options are listed in entry 2, in no particular order.

2.) UseRealWorldDensity,RecomputeSOIAndHillSpheres,RescaleFactor,RealWorldSizeFactor,LimitRWDensityToStockBodies,UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic,EnforceShaders,WarnShaders,EnforcedShaderLevel

3.) The logic in the "real world scale" system has been updated, particularly in regards to gas giants. There is an option to use the old logic in the .cfg file (no it's not in the GUI). This is and remains a work in progress feature.

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any manual (not in the GUI) edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away. (I am not sure if this is still releavent as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively. (I am not sure if this is still releavent as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

5.) Sometimes when reloading a quicksave to KSC, you will get the KSC sunken into the ground. This is cosmetic only, another reload of the same save will fix it. (This error has been around forever, just now listing it).

6.) When you uninstall a mod that had installed a Terrain Detail preset you were using, it may be listed still in the Graphics settings as "New Text." This is by design. If it bothers you, please reinstall the mod that setup that preset, or delete settings.cfg and let it regenerate.

7.) Some mods that used custom Terrain Presets may require you to delete your settings.cfg file and reset your settings with this release. This is rare, but can happen. See this post for details

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x. The 1.11.x,1.10.x,1.9.x and 1.8.x releases are deprecated

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of release-151, polar generation behavior has changed slightly. Though it will be safer overall for new missions, be careful loading existing craft there. This is probably not lethal but I don't want you to be unaware. Maybe make a save just in case? ;)

5.) The "collider fix" as it's called, which fixes the event in which you sink into the terrain on distant bodies, is now on by default. If you really need distant colliders, turn this off, but you'd best have a good reason (I can't think of any).

6.) The particle system was hopelessly broken and has been since sometime past 1.10.x. Few mods used it, so it has been removed completely as of Release-146.

7.) Because we now unpack multipart PQSCity's correctly, you may find some PQSCity structures are in the earth or floating. Report such bugs to your planet pack author as this is an intended change (only cosmetic).

New in this latest version release-185:

1.) (Another) hotfix for the last release that included some bugged autorescale logic (don't worry no mods use this yet anyways, but still worth fixing).

Known Bugs:

1.) Not exactly a bug, but worth mentioning: The Kopernicus_Config.cfg file is rewritten when the game exits. This means any manual (not in the GUI) edits made while playing the game will not be preserved. Edit the file only with the game exited, please.

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away. (I am not sure if this is still relevant as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively. (I am not sure if this is still relevant as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

4.) Very Old craft files may complain about a missing module. This is a cosmetic error and can be ignored. Reload and re-save the craft to remove the error.

5.) Sometimes when reloading a quicksave to KSC, you will get the KSC sunken into the ground. This is cosmetic only, another reload of the same save will fix it. (This error has been around forever, just now listing it).

6.) When you uninstall a mod that had installed a Terrain Detail preset you were using, it may be listed still in the Graphics settings as "New Text." This is by design. If it bothers you, please reinstall the mod that setup that preset, or delete settings.cfg and let it regenerate.

7.) Some mods that used custom Terrain Presets may require you to delete your settings.cfg file and reset your settings with this release. This is rare, but can happen. See this post for details

Known Caveats:

1.) The 1.12.x release series works on 1.12.x. The 1.11.x,1.10.x,1.9.x and 1.8.x releases are deprecated

2.) Multistar Solar panel support requires an additional config file, attached to release.

3.) As of release-107, scatter density underwent a bugfix on all bodies globally that results in densities acting more dense than before on some select configs. Some mods may need to adjust. Normally we'd not change things like this, but this is technically the correct stock behavior of the node so... if you need the old behavior, see config option UseIncorrectScatterDensityLogic.

4.) As of release-151, polar generation behavior has changed slightly. Though it will be safer overall for new missions, be careful loading existing craft there. This is probably not lethal but I don't want you to be unaware. Maybe make a save just in case? ;)

5.) The "collider fix" as it's called, which fixes the event in which you sink into the terrain on distant bodies, is now on by default. If you really need distant colliders, turn this off, but you'd best have a good reason (I can't think of any).

6.) The particle system was hopelessly broken and has been since sometime past 1.10.x. Few mods used it, so it has been removed completely as of Release-146.

7.) Because we now unpack multipart PQSCity's correctly, you may find some PQSCity structures are in the earth or floating. Report such bugs to your planet pack author as this is an intended change (only cosmetic).

Edited by R-T-B

Hey ! I'm currently trying to remove the Kerbol/Sun's Corona with Kopernicus, however i'm struggling a bit with the .cfg

I saw there's a removeCoronas node, but I don't understand how to use it on the stock Sun.

The idea would be to replace the stock Sun with it's own copy, only without any Corona (or whathever effect in fact, because there's a blackhole slapped on it).

The reason is that Singularity seems not to hide the stock Corona anymore, so I'm trying to find a fix with Kopernicus.

9hbNE40.png

After a few hours digging into other mods Stars' configs, here's what I have come up with :

@Kopernicus:AFTER[KOPERNICUS]
{
    Body
    {
        name = Sun
        Debug
        {
            exportMesh = false
            update = true
        }
        Template
            {
                    name = Sun
            removeCoronas = true
            }
            Properties
            {
            description = Trying to hide the Sun's Corona.
            useTheInName = False
            displayName = Singularity
               }
        ScaledVersion
        {
                Coronas
                {
                    Corona
                    {
                            Material
                            {
                                texture =SingularityKopernicusPatch\PluginData\Black.png
                           }
                    }
                }
        }
    }
}

Still not working :/

17 hours ago, Nyxilo said:

After a few hours digging into other mods Stars' configs, here's what I have come up with :

{
    Body
    {
        name = Sun
        Debug
        {
            exportMesh = false
            update = true
        }
        Template
            {
                    name = Sun
            removeCoronas = true
            }
            Properties
            {
            description = Trying to hide the Sun's Corona.
            useTheInName = False
            displayName = Singularity
               }
        ScaledVersion
        {
                Coronas
                {
                    Corona
                    {
                            Material
                            {
                                texture =SingularityKopernicusPatch\PluginData\Black.png
                           }
                    }
                }
        }
    }
}

Still not working :/

I think you'd be better off trying something like this:

{
	@Body[Sun]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			useTheInName = False
			displayName = Sigularity
		}
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			Coronas
			{
				Value
				{
					Material
					{
						texture = SingularityKopernicusPatch\PluginData\Black.png
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

Edited by OhioBob

6 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I think you'd be better off trying something like this:

{
	@Body[Sun]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			useTheInName = False
			displayName = Sigularity
		}
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			Coronas
			{
				Value
				{
					Material
					{
						texture = SingularityKopernicusPatch\PluginData\Black.png
					}
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

e4Yt17o.png

You solved it. Thanks a lot !

New in this latest version release-186:

1.) Hotfix for a default config issue that may affect fresh installs ("DisableFarAwayColliders" was mistakenly being set to false on fresh games, resulting in deep space bugs).

2.) If you want to ensure you weren't affected by this, just check the GUI and ensure option "DisableFarAwayColliders" is checked. It should be "on/checked" in nearly all cirucmstances.

Known Bugs:

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away. (I am not sure if this is still relevant as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively. (I am not sure if this is still relevant as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

Known Caveats:

I missed a release post!  That means little all in all, but I will combine the release notes here for completion sake.  Some good stuff here, people!

New in this latest version release-188:

1.) More optimizations to the SinkingBody runtime method.

2.) The "distance from ground" at which the SinkingBody fix toggles off was changed to 2500m to avoid other vessels being in physics range. Also, never run the check code on gas giants.

New in this version release-187:

1.) A transparent optimization was applied to the SinkingBody bugfix, which was proving rather expensive in CPU usage. Basically, it only runs if you are within 1000m of the ground of a celestial with a PQS, now.

2.) This optimization should be completely safe, but testing around grabbing and landing on far-from-system-center asteroids would be appreciated.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-189:

1.) Yet More optimizations to the SinkingBody runtime method.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

I'd like to talk about the upcoming bleeding edge releases, which'll be all you see for a while:

The next "big" release, release-190, is actually due to be a fairly huge one for users and focus on performance (though there may be a feature or two as well).  It'll be happening in the public eye, as bleeding edge prereleases for testing dropping quite frequently.  There is likely to be quite a few over the next month or so.  You are encouraged to test these in a controlled environment, but as usual, we really strongly advise you either have a "testing" save you don't care about, or backup your save before hand.

The first part of these optimizations, the safe part, already got released above with release-189.  We are getting more aggressive now.   Each release has code that may or may not cause bugs.  Testing is important.  I only have one bugtester so I'd encourage the community to test these releases if they have time and report back, ideally with performance metrics if they can (before/after fps will do, from landed and/or in orbit is usually good enough.  Get landed on a "very distant" body for bonus points in bug testing. All data and scenarios are good and we thank you).

We won't release a shoddy product for "moar fps" so that's why I'm expecting a month to get through all the Q&A.  But you can help with speeding this along, if you feel safe doing so, by testing prereleases.  Optional, but very very helpful.  Thanks for reading.  And without further delay, the first such release.  This one should mainly help while craft are landed with the distant collider fix enabled:

New in this latest version release-190 RC1:

1.) More experimental optimizations to the SinkingBody bugfixes, using caching, and benefiting mainly when landed.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-190 RC2:

1.) More experimental optimizations, mostly the elimination of what I view as probably unnecessary and expensive try catches, replacing them with check logic. Watch for new exceptions in the log if testing this please.

2.) A new toolbar logo courtesy Kopernicus discord and KSP forum user @JadeOfMaar, displayed below:

KopernicusIcon.png

Known Bugs:

2.) At interstellar ranges, heat can sometimes behave strangely, sometimes related to map zoom (be careful zooming out). It is best to turn off part heating when traveling far far away. (I am not sure if this is still releavent as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

3.) When zooming out all the way out in map view at interstellar ranges, the navball furthermore sometimes behaves oddly. We are working on this and monitoring all the interstellar bugs actively. (I am not sure if this is still releavent as of Release-159, feedback welcome).

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-190 RC3:

1.) A couple of bugfixes to the ShadowManager. Prior to this release, if you changed resolutions and reloaded your save, it would result in an infinite loading loop, requiring the game to be closed to reload properly. This has been fixed so you can change resolutions without that bug.

2.) Because the fix for the above bug changed how the ShadowManager loads rather significantly, testing it still performs as expected would be appreciated.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

FIXED! Turns out when I installed the parallax mod I didnt install all the files i needed

Getting an error from Kopernicus after doing a fresh install.

"Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading process."

KSP.Log -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wRzCj7rTGBR_wF4_wE6U4facgQgUtYhV/view?usp=drive_link

Module manager.configcache -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oxlCMT7KSgPAO8ZDjBmQQ_Rxr9I1vQJ0/view?usp=sharing

gamedata -https://imgur.com/a/aVZT6IA

kopernicus.log -https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vbWa3s_qBZ0C2mkjYOdzHPhXiIioUJTj/view?usp=sharing

Ive heard that having a mod that affects minmus causes this but after uninstalling mods that do so the warning still persists.

Any help is much apreciated :)

•  
Edited by Hybr1d
Fixed!

New in this latest version release-190 RC4:

1.) Fixed a minor nullref caused by past RC optimizations. Thanks for the reports, everyone, keep them coming.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

New in this latest version release-190 RC5:

1.) Fixed yet another minor nullref caused by past RC optimizations. Thanks for the reports, everyone, keep them coming.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

New in this latest version release-190 RC6:

1.) Fixed yet another minor nullref caused by past optimizations, this time in ringshader land. Thanks for the reports, everyone, keep them coming.

2.) We are closing on release with this one.  Barring any real bugs for around 2 days, it's very possible one of these next releases will actually end up being release 190.  Just FYI.

Known Bugs:

Known Caveats:

Edited by R-T-B

• 3 weeks later...

Please help.  I have hundreds of hours invested in my current game.  I installed kopernicus and now all the solasr panels on all my ship are showing 0EC even in 100% kerbol exposure?

I am terrified to lose this game as I have invested a huge amount of time in it. Is there a MM patch for this or will it go away if I uninstall kopernicus or is my current game now permanently borked?

On 9/27/2023 at 6:50 PM, ctbram said:

Please help.  I have hundreds of hours invested in my current game.  I installed kopernicus and now all the solasr panels on all my ship are showing 0EC even in 100% kerbol exposure?

I am terrified to lose this game as I have invested a huge amount of time in it. Is there a MM patch for this or will it go away if I uninstall kopernicus or is my current game now permanently borked?

It won't harm the situation worse to try removing it, but Kopernicus doesn't actually have any known bugs like that.  It sounds like a broken mod install somewhere.

Still, the approach of just "removing Kopernicus and seeing if it goes away" is reasonable for a troubleshoot.  Just make sure you also remove anything that depends on it.

PS:  Sorry for the slow work everyone, I caught a human virus from 2019 somewhere.  I wish it would clear, very clingy thing.  Will be back at it soon!

Edited by R-T-B

The 190 prereleases have finished, have a new stable release based on the work done there:

New in this latest version release-190:

1.) Merged all bleeding edge performance enhancing commits, this is going to result in a minor performance boost globally for most users.

2.) Adopted new toolbar logo, courtesy @JadeOfMaar

3.) Misc minor bugfixes along the way (see bleeding edge PR changelogs at github for details).

See Known Bugs & Caveats for known bugs.

Edited by R-T-B

• 2 weeks later...

New in this latest version release-191:

1.) A bugfix to the sinking-distant-body-terrain-bug workaround system that had completely stopped working due to a COVID-induced fever-dream of an optimization I attempted that would never have worked. Reverted that one optimization and kept the rest, to the benefit of all kerbal kind.

2.) Performance is still good overall, this one (now reverted) optimization was just a bad idea.

See Known Bugs & Caveats for known bugs.

does anyone know how to add a star system to stock without having it orbit Kerbol? in a sense, get rid of the infinite SOI? I find it annoying that an all powerful sun can hold a A type star.  It would also allow for brachiostone trajectories in ksp1 :eyes: 

Replace KSP2, anyone?

7 minutes ago, Great Liao said:

Does anyone know how to add a star system to stock without having it orbit Kerbol?

I don't think this is directly possible, as KSP is hard-coded around the Sun being at the center of the universe and having an infinite SOI. However, what you can do is give the Sun all the properties (including the external name) of the star that you actually want at the center, and create a new star orbiting it which has the properties of Kerbol. The stock planets can then be moved to orbit the new "Kerbol" star.

Every non-Sun object has to have some kind of orbit, but it is possible to make the orbit line invisible and the orbital period extremely long, which effectively makes the object stationary.

• 4 weeks later...

New in this latest version release-192:

1.) Replaced the biome caching/downsampling mechanism that mods such as Parallax relied on with a new, modern, fast biome storage solution enginered by the famous @gotmachine of Kerbalism and KSPCF fame.

2.) The new system does not use downsampling (it's much faster even without it) so the old config setting ScatterLatLongDecimalPrecision is gone.

3.) We also fixed a compatability regression with a fairly old mod that was unlikely to be updated (Sigma Replacements), caused by a variable rename.

See Known Bugs & Caveats for known bugs.

Translation of the above:  Parallax might run a bit faster.

Edited by R-T-B