[1.9 - 1.12+] TrekDrive - A Star Trek-like Warp Drive by ShadowWorks v1.0.3b The Galileo Seven (Hotfix) [27-03-2022]

TheShadow1138

1 hour ago, Draakul said:

Installed this mod about a week ago and really loving it so far, uses the warp effect with great implementation and actually works smoothly too compared to Roverdudes Alcubierre drive which had a habit of tearing apart my ships when dropping out of warp and doesn't decimate my frame rate either.

It's allowed me to finally build huge capital ships for interstellar travel as I'm playing with it in RSS with some extra planet packs.

https://imgur.com/lT7Ax5l (Couldn't figure out how to post direct images)

One thing that I've wanted was to be able to tweakscale the parts as I like to repurpose them for other ship designs giving different ships warp capability but even with attempting to add a cfg to allow for tweakscale to work with some parts I've been unable to.

I resorted to using cfgs to add warp capabilities to duplicate stock/other mod parts and was able to get this to work but I found I wasn't able to get warp distortion effects when using the drive on the duplicate parts, probably due to the waterfall cfgs not being right as I really have little to none modding experience and was just copying and pasting sections of code. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Great to hear that it's working so well for you.  I took a lot of inspiration from Roverdude's Alcubierre drive.  Obviously, without seeing the kinds of ships you were building with his mod I can't accurately comment, but I know his code specifically had a portion that would destroy parts outside the warp bubble.  Anyway, ships breaking apart was a big concern for me, and I fully expected the NX to fly apart dropping out of warp the first time, but when I did and it stayed in one piece, even with a shuttlepod docked inside, I was ecstatic.  I'm also glad it's not devastating your frame rate, I guess because I use Waterfall instead of having my code handle the warp effect, but I dunno. 

For images, you could also just add the image file extension and then press "Enter/Return".  So, if your image is a PNG, just paste in the Imgur link, then type ".png" so that it becomes ".../IT7Ax5I.png", then hit "Enter/Return" and the image should show up just fine.  That is one interesting looking ship by the way.

On the TweakScale issue, what exactly isn't working?  From what you say, it seems that some parts are working fine with TweakScale, but others aren't, so if you could tell me which ones aren't working, or what isn't working as expected in general, we might be able to figure out what's going on.  I've never used TweakScale myself, but I'll do what I can.

The warp effects are tied to specific transforms on the part models, which would be why you aren't able to see those effects when adding the TrekDrive modules to other parts.  In order to get the same warp star effects on non-TrekDrive parts, you'd have to set up the Waterfall configs yourself.  The warp effects are not essential, obviously, to the workings of the drive they're just nice little custom Waterfall effects to give some visual indication that something is running and the ship is moving.  Even if I used a standardized transform in the model to serve as the parent object for the Waterfall effect, that transform would not be there on others' models, nor could I guarantee that it would be oriented in the same manner.  So, unfortunately there really isn't a way (that I can think of) for me to simplify copying the warp stars effect to non-TrekDrive parts.

TrekDrive v1.0.2 - Release

6mXozUu.png

Lots of things added in this update, the Constitution-class starship and all of the Mirror Universe texture variants.  A full breakdown is below in the change log.  I've also included the Textures Unlimited patch that Puggonaut created, and I contributed to, just to fix the registry meshes.  This patch is in the Compatibility folder of "TrekDrive" and the Mirror Universe content is encapsulated within the "Extras" folder so that it can be easily removed if you wish.

v.1.0.2 - The Original Reborn
* Added Constitution-class Starship (all parts have two texture variants)
    * Bridge Module (crew capacity of 6)
    * Saucer (crew capacity of 30)
    * Impulse Engines (includes a docking port)
    * Engineering Hull (crew capacity of 20)
    * Navigational Deflector
    * Nacelle Pylons (two variants: flared and straight)
    * Warp Nacelles (Port and Starboard)
* Starship Registry Variants (present on Saucer, Engineering Hull, and Nacelles [port & starboard]
    * USS Bonhomme Richard (NCC-1731)
    * USS Cassie (NCC-1711)
    * USS Constellation (NCC-1017)
    * USS Constitution (NCC-1021)
    * USS Defiant (NCC-1764)
    * USS Eagle (NCC-956)
    * USS Emden (NCC-1856)
    * USS Endeavour (NCC-1895)
    * USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) - The Default
    * USS Essex (NCC-1709)
    * USS Excalibur (NCC-1664)
    * USS Exeter (NCC-1672)
    * USS Hood (NCC-1703)
    * USS Hornet (NCC-1708)
    * USS Intrepid (NCC-1631)
    * USS Kearsarge (NCC-1733)
    * USS Lexington (NCC-1709)
    * USS Porthos (NCC-1712)
    * USS Potemkin (NCC-1657)
    * USS Ticonderoga (NCC-1714)
    * USS Yamato (NCC-1716)
    * USS Yorktown (NCC-1717)
* Added two (2) new registries for the NX-class and NX-class
    * Cassie (NX-11)
        * S.S. Cassie (NX-11)
    * Porthos (NX-12)
        * S.S. Porthos (NX-12)
* Added Mirror Universe Kerbban Empire Content in "Extras" (content is encapsulated and may be easily removed by deleting either the "Extras" folder, or the "MirrorUniverse" folder inside "Extras")
    * Kerbban Empire Texture Variants to the following parts
        * NX-class Saucer
        * NX-class Engineering Section Refit
        * NX-class Warp Nacelle Refit (Warp 7 Nacelles) Port and Starboard
        * Enterprise-era Shuttlepod fuselage
        * Constitution-class Saucer
        * Constitution-class Engineering Section
        * Constitution-class Warp Nacelles Port and Starboard
    * Kerbban Empire Registry variants for all currently available registry variants on the NX-class and Constitution-class ships
    * Flag of the Kerbban Empire
* Added Textures Unlimited patch - authored by Puggonaut with "excludeMesh" statements provided by TheShadow1138 so that registries appear correctly with this config.

NH2zNmM.png

A Note on Progress:  Progress on the Type-F shuttlecraft and Constitution-Refit will likely be even slower than the just released Constitution-class parts.  I'm a part-time teacher, and I have a class starting this coming Wednesday (October 20), so I can't say that progress updates will come with regularity.  I know that progress updates kinda come in spurts as it is, but I want y'all to know that even if there is more radio silence from me over the next three months, well until December 12, not to worry.  The next immediate project is the Type-F shuttlecraft for use with the Constitution-class, but again, not sure about when that will get done, but it is coming.

Edited by TheShadow1138

18 hours ago, TheShadow1138 said:

Great to hear that it's working so well for you.  I took a lot of inspiration from Roverdude's Alcubierre drive.  Obviously, without seeing the kinds of ships you were building with his mod I can't accurately comment, but I know his code specifically had a portion that would destroy parts outside the warp bubble.  Anyway, ships breaking apart was a big concern for me, and I fully expected the NX to fly apart dropping out of warp the first time, but when I did and it stayed in one piece, even with a shuttlepod docked inside, I was ecstatic.  I'm also glad it's not devastating your frame rate, I guess because I use Waterfall instead of having my code handle the warp effect, but I dunno. 

For images, you could also just add the image file extension and then press "Enter/Return".  So, if your image is a PNG, just paste in the Imgur link, then type ".png" so that it becomes ".../IT7Ax5I.png", then hit "Enter/Return" and the image should show up just fine.  That is one interesting looking ship by the way.

On the TweakScale issue, what exactly isn't working?  From what you say, it seems that some parts are working fine with TweakScale, but others aren't, so if you could tell me which ones aren't working, or what isn't working as expected in general, we might be able to figure out what's going on.  I've never used TweakScale myself, but I'll do what I can.

The warp effects are tied to specific transforms on the part models, which would be why you aren't able to see those effects when adding the TrekDrive modules to other parts.  In order to get the same warp star effects on non-TrekDrive parts, you'd have to set up the Waterfall configs yourself.  The warp effects are not essential, obviously, to the workings of the drive they're just nice little custom Waterfall effects to give some visual indication that something is running and the ship is moving.  Even if I used a standardized transform in the model to serve as the parent object for the Waterfall effect, that transform would not be there on others' models, nor could I guarantee that it would be oriented in the same manner.  So, unfortunately there really isn't a way (that I can think of) for me to simplify copying the warp stars effect to non-TrekDrive parts.

My bad I could have worded that a bit better,

I haven't been able to get any of the Trek drive parts to work with tweakscale, I've only been able to add warp functionality to other mod parts that I know are already working with tweakscale. So to put it short none of the Trek drive parts have been scalable through adding the necessary cfg files.

Regarding the warp effects, I guess that's just something I just have to live with until I've figured out how to make my own waterfall cfgs but once again just wanna iterate how great and fun this mod is, you're done some great work.

7 hours ago, Draakul said:

My bad I could have worded that a bit better,

I haven't been able to get any of the Trek drive parts to work with tweakscale, I've only been able to add warp functionality to other mod parts that I know are already working with tweakscale. So to put it short none of the Trek drive parts have been scalable through adding the necessary cfg files.

Regarding the warp effects, I guess that's just something I just have to live with until I've figured out how to make my own waterfall cfgs but once again just wanna iterate how great and fun this mod is, you're done some great work.

Like I said, I haven't used TweakScale before, and I don't know what you're doing to add TweakScale to my parts.  I quickly installed TweakScale and wrote up a MM patch and tested it out.  It seems to work in my really quick and dirty testing.  Here's the patch I wrote up:

@PART[SWNX*,SWENT*,SWConstitution*]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = stack
		scaleFactors = 1.0, 2.5, 3.75, 5.0
		scaleNames = 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5.0
	}
}

If you have a MM patch you're using for TweakScale you can add this to it.  If you don't have a MM patch just open a blank plain text document in Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (macOS), I'm not sure what the default text editor is on Linus.  Then paste the above code into that file and then save it as something like "_TrekDrive_TweakScale.cfg" and put it in your GameData folder.  This will give you up to a 5m scaling.  I did this to test because the docking ports on the NX and Constitution-class are scaled to 1.25m and these scale factors keep that in line with the stock size points. You are, of course, welcome to add any other scales you wish, but I tested the above and it worked on my install.  I make no guarantees that the warp stars effects will scale appropriately, but the parts will scale with TweakScale using the above patch.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:47 PM, TheShadow1138 said:

Like I said, I haven't used TweakScale before, and I don't know what you're doing to add TweakScale to my parts.  I quickly installed TweakScale and wrote up a MM patch and tested it out.  It seems to work in my really quick and dirty testing.  Here's the patch I wrote up:

@PART[SWNX*,SWENT*,SWConstitution*]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = stack
		scaleFactors = 1.0, 2.5, 3.75, 5.0
		scaleNames = 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5.0
	}
}

If you have a MM patch you're using for TweakScale you can add this to it.  If you don't have a MM patch just open a blank plain text document in Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (macOS), I'm not sure what the default text editor is on Linus.  Then paste the above code into that file and then save it as something like "_TrekDrive_TweakScale.cfg" and put it in your GameData folder.  This will give you up to a 5m scaling.  I did this to test because the docking ports on the NX and Constitution-class are scaled to 1.25m and these scale factors keep that in line with the stock size points. You are, of course, welcome to add any other scales you wish, but I tested the above and it worked on my install.  I make no guarantees that the warp stars effects will scale appropriately, but the parts will scale with TweakScale using the above patch.

Awesome! Thanks very much for the help, had a feeling I was just writing the cfg files wrong so this is really helpful. 

Thanks again for the great mod and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

On 10/16/2021 at 2:25 PM, TheShadow1138 said:

Have you considered exporting a generic model with transforms without any renderers? I did that for Blueshift, at one point. Anyway, your generic warp transform could be like:

AvIPBRT.png

And then in your config file:

MODEL
    {
        model = Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEnginePoodle_v2/LqdEnginePoodle_v2Squad/parts/
    }

MODEL
    {
        model = TrekDrive/Parts/Generic/genericWarpEngine
    }

That might enable you to port your plugin and effects to any parts desired.

Anyway, I love the artwork you did for the Constitution class! :)

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Have you considered exporting a generic model with transforms without any renderers? I did that for Blueshift, at one point. Anyway, your generic warp transform could be like:

AvIPBRT.png

And then in your config file:

MODEL
    {
        model = Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEnginePoodle_v2/LqdEnginePoodle_v2Squad/parts/
    }

MODEL
    {
        model = TrekDrive/Parts/Generic/genericWarpEngine
    }

That might enable you to port your plugin and effects to any parts desired.

Anyway, I love the artwork you did for the Constitution class! :)

I hadn't thought about that, but you're right, that could make porting effects much simpler.  Adding the plugin to a part is as simple as adding the module to the part CFG since it doesn't need any transforms specified.  The only thing that needs a transform specified is the Waterfall FX definition.  So, having a simple transform model that end users could add to a part through a ModuleManager config, and moving my warp stars to a Waterfall template (really probably should have done this already), would make it much easier to get the effect on any part on which you've put the module.  That'll probably be in the next update:  standardized transform on my parts to which I'll parent the waterfall effects, and a "blank" model for others to use to use to attach the waterfall warp stars effects on their own, or others' parts.

Thanks for the compliment!  It really turned out well, just as I had pictured it in my head.  I'm currently working on the Type F shuttlecraft (the Galileo from the original series).  This won't be a replica, since the Constitution-class isn't a replica, and I'm looking the way it looks so far:

iOvqQFE.png

mFvE6Cm.png

06E1sge.png

Once I move on to the Constitution-Refit, that will be a replica of the film Enterprise and the accompanying shuttlecraft will also be a replica of that era's shuttlecraft.

3 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Silly idea time  .

A combinations of Vessel mover and AirPark lets you do this as i've yet to find a mod that will let you actualy fly 3 crafts at the same time or at least get the other two to follow the one you are flying .

Anyhow ............

Awesome videos, as always.

I think I found the mod I was thinking about that allows formation flying, it's called Burn Together.  It's now part of the BDArmory Continued family of mods, so I assume it will work with 1.12.2, but I'm not sure.

Download Link (from BDArmory Continued):  https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BurnTogether/releases

Original Burn Together Forum Thread:  

I did a quick check and @Grimmas is correct, Throttle Controlled Avionics does have a "squadron" mode and a "follow" mode.

I'm not sure how well Throttle Controlled Avionics will work with TrekDrive if it needs the thrust values from the engines since the impulse engines are not using the "maxThrust" parameter of ModuleEngines.  It's manual does say it uses the thrust limiter as well, which does work on the impulse engines, so there may be no issue at all.

Edited by TheShadow1138

Nope tried both suggestions , neither of them work for this idea , also tried BD Armory and as mentioned because the impulse engines don't have a maxThrust wotsit , BD says ok its there then shuts the throttle on the following craft or the main one when the autopilot is engaged .

Ho well it was an idea ..........

9 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Nope tried both suggestions , neither of them work for this idea , also tried BD Armory and as mentioned because the impulse engines don't have a maxThrust wotsit , BD says ok its there then shuts the throttle on the following craft or the main one when the autopilot is engaged .

Ho well it was an idea ..........

Oh well.  I was hoping that the one that used the thrust limiter might work, but I guess they specifically look for that maxThrust parameter.

Found a solution , I added Physics Range Extender , because that has a 100k range . So with Burn Together you get this &)

Can only do this out of the Atmosphere , but all 3 craft safely landed afterwards , just trying how to figure out a way of getting them to take off together . Usual KSP thing about only flying one craft so as soon as the impulse engines are activated that's it your stuck with one craft to control as BD doen't offer a staging option .

But it's a start .

Edited by Puggonaut

Type F Shuttlecraft Texture Complete!

There will be three (3) registry-related switches for this shuttle.  The first is the "mothership", which will use the same textures for the Constitution-class registries (so no duplication of their textures), the second is the shuttle number (the number following the "mothership" registry), and the last will be the shuttle's name.  The included numbers are 1 - 10 while the included names are:

Columbus
Conrad
Copernius
da Vinci
Einstein
Galileo
Galileo II
Heisenberg
Kepler
Nye
Picasso
Rembrandt
Schrödinger
Tyson
von Braun

I am also including a few starbases/stations as "mothership" registries:  K-7, Regula 1, Starbase 1,6,9,11,32,4077,8063, and Starfleet Command

Pics:
XrnxoDC.png

QvLSJhp.png

vEEr2Cx.png

Lighter gray with red bussards texture variant:

CZL5tpM.png

Mirror Universe variant: (will use the Mirror Universe starship registries)
o60hoAL.png

The part breakdown will be:  Type F Shuttle Main Hull, Type F Shuttle Impulse Engine, Type F Shuttle Warp Drive, and Type F Shuttle Warp Nacelle (Port & Starboard).  So, that 5 parts total.  These are warp capable and I'm thinking of having their maximum warp be Warp 2.  It shouldn't take too much to get this in-game, so maybe (and I stress maybe) by the weekend there will be an update.

Damn you for making me want to install yet another mod on top of everything else :)

Just a suggestion, but maybe break down the main body into a cockpit, a fuselage section, and an aft section? That way people could make bigger or smaller shuttles as they wish. 

11 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Just a suggestion, but maybe break down the main body into a cockpit, a fuselage section, and an aft section? That way people could make bigger or smaller shuttles as they wish. 

That sounds like a good idea, just not for this shuttle.  I'd have to remodel most of the shuttle to get this one to have that customizability.  I might be able to set up future shuttles to allow for this type of construction.  I think the TOS Film-era and TNG type shuttles lend themselves a bit more to that type of construction, so maybe with the next iteration of shuttlecraft.

• 3 weeks later...

Progress Update:  We're still testing out the Type-F shuttlecraft.  Some quirks were discovered in early testing that could make it difficult to fly.  It seems that as the CoM changes from propellant usage/generation it can cause unwanted torques in smaller craft, which may warrant a small rewrite of the plugin's handling of impulse engine thrust.  Once we get that all sorted out I'll release the Type-F shuttle.

On another front, I've taken some time to start work on the Constitution-class Refit.  I've gotten the Bridge, Saucer, and Impulse Engines pretty much geometry complete.  Here are some screenshots of what I've got so far.

Port Elevation
7tv4B21.png

Port Elevation (with schematic)
vQfdyfd.png

Forward Elevation
gUJxMVl.png

Forward Elevation (with schematic)
A4vswze.png

Aft Elevation
qtuhDJU.png

Dorsal View (docking port cutout visible)
rqJSywT.png

Ventral View
n7S95yf.png

• 1 month later...

The winter term has come to an end, grades have been submitted, and the shipyard has been at work.  I give you the geometry complete Constitution-class Refit, my favorite version of the NCC-1701.

Gki6zGN.png

0UFKr52.png

Ezn12fO.png

FMCHzOF.png

BXcvZDB.png

Orthographic Views:

DubB5sc.png

DQCpcWT.png

TCOUPjH.png

I have begun unwrapping the saucer section with the goal being to have only three texture sets like with the released Constitution-class ship:  one for the saucer, bridge, and impulse engines, another for the engineering hull, and the third for the warp nacelles and pylons.  No ETA yet on the next release, or when texturing will actually begin but it will get done.  This is a bit more daunting as I want to get it right.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:30 PM, TheShadow1138 said:

The winter term has come to an end, grades have been submitted, and the shipyard has been at work.  I give you the geometry complete Constitution-class Refit, my favorite version of the NCC-1701.

Gki6zGN.png

0UFKr52.png

Ezn12fO.png

FMCHzOF.png

BXcvZDB.png

Orthographic Views:

DubB5sc.png

DQCpcWT.png

TCOUPjH.png

I have begun unwrapping the saucer section with the goal being to have only three texture sets like with the released Constitution-class ship:  one for the saucer, bridge, and impulse engines, another for the engineering hull, and the third for the warp nacelles and pylons.  No ETA yet on the next release, or when texturing will actually begin but it will get done.  This is a bit more daunting as I want to get it right.

once again absolutely gorgeous modelling man! keep it up!