Time Dilation & Interstellar Travel

Hi all,

I am curious, will KSP2 have time dilation mechanics incorporated for interstellar travel?

I assume that, in order to travel between stars, one must approach a sizeable fraction of the speed of light, lest time warp take 10,000 years. 

With this, however, per Einstein's theory of special relativity, time must slow down for the observer. 

Will KSP2 incorporate this spacetime mechanic and, if so, how?

Here's a good course explaining special relativity for all, currently using it in university. 

https://sites.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/teaching/HPS_0410/chapters/Special_relativity_adding/index.html

Not known, the devs haven't said anything. This subject has been discussed before. The general consensus is the devs will ignore it since you shouldn't be able to build enough velocity to reach a good percentage of C. Plus it would be difficult and unnecessary to program all the effects relativity. It's a game with realistic physics, not a space simulator.

The distances between stars will be much less than in real life, and the tech will not be sufficient to reach a high enough speed to matter. It will probably be ignored or simplified in favor of putting the time and effort into more relevant tasks. I'm sure some mod team will probably add it to principia 2.0 or something a few years after release at great cpu compute cost.

I believe that the devs have said that they will not implement relativity because they would want to do it properly and it would increase the complexity of computations enough that calculating orbital trajectories would strain CPUs, even with only one body pulling on the ship. I can’t remember where that was said, but I think it was part of a question about implementing n-body physics where they said they would keep a simple SOI model. However, I would love to see the modding API allow for mods like principia to implement their own solutions for relativity, allowing for “realistic” warp drives. 

Slightly, but not entirely, related question.

Have the devs indicated how they are even going to handle interstellar travel?  Will it be a simple "fling yourself in this direction and hope for the best", or are they going to use future tech stuff like jump gates or hyperspace?  Black holes/wormholes?

Edited by Scarecrow71

4 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Slightly, but not entirely, related question.

Have the devs indicated how they are even going to handle interstellar travel?  Will it be a simple "fling yourself in this direction and hope for the best", or are they going to use future tech stuff like jump gates or hyperspace?  Black holes/wormholes?

They said explicitly no warp drives or scifi stuff. Basically interplanetary transfer on steroids.

• 5 months later...
On 10/27/2021 at 10:28 PM, shdwlrd said:

The general consensus is the devs will ignore it since you shouldn't be able to build enough velocity to reach a good percentage of C.

Like how you can't exceed 20km/s with stock KSP 1 technology? One small glance at what people have built in KSP 1 shows you people have gone much faster with stock tech. People will find a way to approach C in KSP 2.