Suggestions for anti-Kraken measures.

I have been playing KSP and encountering velocity bugs, e.g. transferring parts in engineering mode and kerbals on ladders colliding with craft structures accelerating the craft etc.

Transferring parts in engineering mode should prevent velocity changes to whole craft. Kerbals on ladders including hatches should be treated as not colliding.

Thinking about how to do that I had the idea that each situation needs to limit velocity changes, then it occurred that this might work as the more general case of permitted velocity modifiers.

I dont know how this works in KSP2, whether devs have found a way round the "kraken" as it is commonly called I can see the same ship collision toggle already exists in advanced tweakables but it struck me that the velocity of a craft could be locked to prevent physics bugs like that unless the velocity change comes from a trusted source i.e. a whitelist of velocity modifiers.

Like engines or atmospheric drag or bonafide collision. So only when an engine is firing can the velocity change, only when collision is between two otherwise unconnected surfaces can velocity change likewise drag. All other krakenesque anomalies could be ignored.

This would require a check on the velocity change source to see if it can be added to the craft velocity. You could have this only operating under specific circumstances like engineering or ladder, or maybe it could be an ongoing kraken blocker, I dont know how badly it might affect the frame rate.

If the velocity change was discarded and only became apparent when the conditions met the rules of the check then when a kerbal lets go they might get pushed, if they were already colliding. Currently getting a kerbal out of a hatch already gets them a push and often they get stuck and then pushed which is like slapstick comedy!

KSP2 is being done from scratch by professional developers. All the bugs you seen and common issues in KSP1 shouldn't be a thing in KSP2. I'm not saying that there won't be bugs in KSP2, but the common physics exploits/strangeness shouldn't be there.

Thanks for your replies.

I hope you are right and agree there is no knowing what they have fixed and what will stay the same but they are using Unity for KSP2, just like KSP, so will need different or additional methods to prevent these issues returning in KSP2 and can only do that if made aware of the problem, which is why I am chiming in with my 2 cents worth.

I would comment that the devs appear to be using KSP as a dry run for a lot of new tech and there are a lot of minor bugs in KSP at the moment so I think its worth talking about this stuff to make it less likely the bugs will follow us to KSP2.   :)

1 hour ago, boolybooly said:

Thanks for your replies.

I hope you are right and agree there is no knowing what they have fixed and what will stay the same but they are using Unity for KSP2, just like KSP, so will need different or additional methods to prevent these issues returning in KSP2 and can only do that if made aware of the problem, which is why I am chiming in with my 2 cents worth.

I would comment that the devs appear to be using KSP as a dry run for a lot of new tech and there are a lot of minor bugs in KSP at the moment so I think its worth talking about this stuff to make it less likely the bugs will follow us to KSP2.   :)

The only parts being used from KSP1 are the part assets. Everything else should be Intercept's work.

On 11/5/2021 at 7:20 PM, Bej Kerman said:

They didn't fix anything. They literally rebuilt everything.

They do, still its some bugs and features who shows up very easy. 
Take the kerbal on ladder is an bug I see its easy to get again. Kerbals should obviously affect other items, they have mass after all and an kerbal ramming an small satellite will change its orbit  by multiple m/s. 
The can also get stuff to spin by hitting an edge.  But an kerbal on an ladder can not add an movement or rotation to an craft but this is probably something who has to be coded in. 

Could easy see the reactionless drive from two docking ports carry over to, but less likely as this part is re-coded.