Buffalo 2 Modular Space Exploration Vehicle

Angelo Kerman

3 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

The current bridge layout in Clydesdale is actually pretty good.  Nav and Helm up front.  Officer of the Deck at center behind them.  Comms and engineering behind that.  Moar displays though!

I'm using the 3.12.0 pre-release version for testing.  For the D2 Habitat, I'm seeing a total of 6 chairs and  6 bunks (unimportant if they can actually be used).  For the D2 Stateroom, I'm seeing the same layout.

With all this new stuff, I'm looking to size the crew to the number of available bunks rather than the available chairs - with the knowledge that the bunks are (mostly) just for show.

With my soon to be announced Deep Space Station, there is technically room for 54 kerbals - which is kind of silly if you want to inject some pseudo-realism.  Of course, with what they've had to endure up to now - they can hot rack.... for 50 years!

The current design for the D2 Habit doesn't have the ability to reposition kerbals into the bunks. The new design does. Because of the way KSP works, in order to have a variety of different locations for kerbals to sit/sleep, I have to add more seats than would normally make sense. Here is an early example of that:

wgpkFpN.png

In the D2 Habitat Module Refit, there are a total of 14 seats. 8 of them are on the upper level, but they're set up so that a kerbal alternately sits in the seat of the sofa, or sleeps in the sofa's pull-out bed. Realistically, the D2 Habitat Module Refit sleeps 4, but you can sit as many as 6 downstairs in the common area. The other Refit modules are built similarly; technically, there are more seats than should realistically be there, but they exist so that kerbals can be placed in different positions as stories- and screenshots, need.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Today I created the alert system light and buttons. This is more for fun than anything. Anyway, when you tap on the red, yellow, or blue alert buttons, the alert light will flash, and a sound effect will be played. Due to copyright issues I can't use any Star Trek alert sounds so I picked some public domain ones. What's cool is that when you tap on an alert button, any other existing alert will get canceled, and the alert panels throughout the ship will flash. Here's a look:

Blue Alert is different than the rest in that the cockpit lights will turn blue.

Yellow Alert:

Red Alert!

Blue Alert!  Blue Alert!  The ship is entering "The Cool Zone".  All hands, don bell bottoms, tie dye, and cool shades!  Activate disco ball!

I already see me mashing a ship all across Tylo while playing with the fun buttons though.

22 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The current design for the D2 Habit doesn't have the ability to reposition kerbals into the bunks. The new design does. Because of the way KSP works, in order to have a variety of different locations for kerbals to sit/sleep, I have to add more seats than would normally make sense. Here is an early example of that:

In the D2 Habitat Module Refit, there are a total of 14 seats. 8 of them are on the upper level, but they're set up so that a kerbal alternately sits in the seat of the sofa, or sleeps in the sofa's pull-out bed. Realistically, the D2 Habitat Module Refit sleeps 4, but you can sit as many as 6 downstairs in the common area. The other Refit modules are built similarly; technically, there are more seats than should realistically be there, but they exist so that kerbals can be placed in different positions as stories- and screenshots, need.

That's a right sensible compromise.  The likely reality of a ship with modules like this would be that the typical crew would be constrained by the number of bunks.  In Emergency/surge mode, all that goes out the window and you cram 'em in.  It's super cool how you've cracked the problem of getting a Kerbal to lay down in a bunk.  Rah you!

I can't wait for the next D2 release so I can make the announcement for DSS-1 "Don't Make Me Turn This Ship Around"  :) 

17 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Are there adapters between the different B2 profiles? (standard, station, superstructure)

If not, I guess I could adapt from standard to station with some innovative asthetic clipping, maybe also for superstructure.

20 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Are there adapters between the different B2 profiles? (standard, station, superstructure)

There will be adapters from the Rover to 1.875m Station, but I don't see a need for an adapter to the superstructure form.

Today I muddled through the Clydesdale Refit and figured out a new layout that I'm satisfied with. The cockpit area remains largely unchanged except for an updated door:

0OqYAkp.png

(its windows are off to the left). I haven't redone the textures yet, and I plan to renovate the consoles. The biggest change is the underside area. Gone are the observation bay, HAL bay, and lounge area. They are replaced with a vertically oriented bridge and ready room:

iLCKubv.png

This section of the command pod is oriented vertically like the rest of the D2 modules. When I get to the Danube Delta, its cylindrical shape will definitely lend itself to a vertical layout too. Hopefully this won't take too long to renovate, I want to get back to Buffalo 2 ASAP...

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

There will be adapters from the Rover to 1.875m Station, but I don't see a need for an adapter to the superstructure form.

Today I muddled through the Clydesdale Refit and figured out a new layout that I'm satisfied with. The cockpit area remains largely unchanged except for an updated door:

(its windows are off to the left). I haven't redone the textures yet, and I plan to renovate the consoles. The biggest change is the underside area. Gone are the observation bay, HAL bay, and lounge area. They are replaced with a vertically oriented bridge and ready room:

This section of the command pod is oriented vertically like the rest of the D2 modules. When I get to the Danube Delta, its cylindrical shape will definitely lend itself to a vertical layout too. Hopefully this won't take too long to renovate, I want to get back to Buffalo 2 ASAP...

That'll be an interesting look.  Since it is a space ship, the orientation of the bridge is really irrelevant.  I've said it a number of times and will say it again.  Thanks for this work you are doing.  This is adding a whole layer to the game

On 8/16/2022 at 9:21 PM, Ooglak Kerman said:

Blue Alert!  Blue Alert!  The ship is entering "The Cool Zone".  All hands, don bell bottoms, tie dye, and cool shades!  Activate disco ball!

I already see me mashing a ship all across Tylo while playing with the fun buttons though.

I have a feeling that The Cool Zone begins at exactly one planetary radius above sea level.

18 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

That'll be an interesting look.  Since it is a space ship, the orientation of the bridge is really irrelevant.  I've said it a number of times and will say it again.  Thanks for this work you are doing.  This is adding a whole layer to the game

It's relevant in certain cases from a "realism" standpoint. For high accelerations and for cases where ΔV is high and acceleration non-trivial, orientation should place one's feet in the direction of "down" - i.e. towards the engine. It's not relevant generally unless using Orion nuclear pulse propulsion, Interstellar, Far Future, or DSEV.

I just updated Restock to the latest and had a look at RestockPlus.  Very worthwhile!  They added some useful 1.875m parts that will work nicely with Buffalo (station mode) and 3.75m that will work with DSEV.  The most useful so far IMO.

in the context of Buffalo station version parts:

• RC-M001 Remote Guidance Unit (Nertea): 1.875m drone core
  • Z-2500 Rechargeable Battery Bank (Nertea): 1.875m battery bank (listed as Z-2.5K)
  • Medium Reaction Wheel Assembly (Nertea): 1.875m reaction wheel

For DSEV:

• Jumbo Holding Tank (Andrew Cassidy): 3.75m ore tank
  • Z-10K Rechargeable Battery Bank (Nertea): 3.75m stack battery

A nice feature of Restock if you've not seen it, is the parts blacklist.  The blacklist will prevent individual or whole classes of parts from loading.  So if you add a mod for a particular part and don't want the rest - you can blacklist them and save on load time and memory.

2 minutes ago, panarchist said:

It's relevant in certain cases from a "realism" standpoint. For high accelerations and for cases where ΔV is high and acceleration non-trivial, orientation should place one's feet in the direction of "down" - i.e. towards the engine. It's not relevant generally unless using Orion nuclear pulse propulsion, Interstellar, Far Future, or DSEV.

That's an excellent point.  I was thinking in the context of the warp engines.  Random seat placement for any reaction system would be unhandy for any but very minor G-loads.

2 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

I have a feeling that The Cool Zone begins at exactly one planetary radius above sea level.

With residual velocity vectoring directly in to the planet when you get warp flameout (unstart)?  That is a definite time for danger sensitive sunglasses.

I've done it intentionally a couple times for testing and it's never gone well so far.  Map display shows your residual velocity vector and I've gotten reasonably good at using it to good effect.

1 hour ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

With residual velocity vectoring directly in to the planet when you get warp flameout (unstart)?  That is a definite time for danger sensitive sunglasses.

I've done it intentionally a couple times for testing and it's never gone well so far.  Map display shows your residual velocity vector and I've gotten reasonably good at using it to good effect.

I kind of meant it the other way. You need a certain amount of Coolium (tm) to get the warp drive to start up. If you're not cool enough, the warp drive won't start because going FTL is too cool for the engineer otherwise.

35 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

I kind of meant it the other way. You need a certain amount of Coolium (tm) to get the warp drive to start up. If you're not cool enough, the warp drive won't start because going FTL is too cool for the engineer otherwise.

This is why you have Eng-5 "Scotties".  They have the requisite Coolium. 
Wrong forum for this, but I think it would be a thing for a warp drive to not even start without a certain level of Engineer aboard.  And FTL is as cool as can be.  5 minutes to Sarnus vs 10 years.  It sure makes for other issues though.

Edited by Ooglak Kerman

Modeling finished, unwrapped, and ready for texturing:

JDbhtSL.png

Some of it is obviously done as it comes from other interiors, but I need to redo the cockpit floor now that its UV map is in the right scale, and there are a few other areas that need texturing as well. KSP doesn't do continual thrust very well, but the command pod's layout implies that ships made with D2 parts could handle brachistocrone trajectories.

And yes, there will be a MAS version of the IVA without the static displays, just like in Buffalo 2.

5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Modeling finished, unwrapped, and ready for texturing:

Some of it is obviously done as it comes from other interiors, but I need to redo the cockpit floor now that its UV map is in the right scale, and there are a few other areas that need texturing as well. KSP doesn't do continual thrust very well, but the command pod's layout implies that ships made with D2 parts could handle brachistocrone trajectories.

And yes, there will be a MAS version of the IVA without the static displays, just like in Buffalo 2.

Who but Angelo would even consider the usage of "brachistocrone" in a sentence?
It makes me want to wash his truck and ensure it is filled with fuel.

Spoiler

xcFegNX.png

Well, the RestockPlus 1.875m parts I found have enabled the Kerbin Admiralty to build a better warp capable EMT ship, so I'm staying busy.  What to name it though...

Once you pivot back to Buffalo 2, maybe a station variant of the Command Module?

And while I'm in full on needy mode - a 1.875m warp core
and a Angelo Kerman action figure with Engineering Action
and a 0.625m inflatable docking port compatible with the clamp-o-tron

8 minutes ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

Well, the RestockPlus 1.875m parts I found have enabled the Kerbin Admiralty to build a better warp capable EMT ship, so I'm staying busy.  What to name it though...

Once you pivot back to Buffalo 2, maybe a station variant of the Command Module?

And while I'm in full on needy mode - a 1.875m warp core
and a Angelo Kerman action figure with Engineering Action
and a 0.625m inflatable docking port compatible with the clamp-o-tron

Idea: For stock, at least, take a Making History SM-18 service module, rotate it 45 degrees, disable the shroud, and clip a mk1 lander can into it. Bam, inline 1.875m command pod! a little low on crew and rather industrial looking, however.

Alternatively, try Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux. It's got a 1.875m inline command pod, although no hatch.

As for that angelo kerman action figure, maybe that's something for custom flags.

As for a 0.625m clampo tron, at that point why not just use the jr ports?

Edited by SkyFall2489

Just now, SkyFall2489 said:

Idea: For stock, at least, take a Making History SM-18 service module, rotate it 45 degrees, disable the shroud, and clip a mk1 lander can into it. Bam, inline 1.875m command pod! a little low on crew and rather industrial looking, however.

Well, you've already got the MK-2 pod if you have Making History installed.  The docking options are a bummer on 1.875m size though.  Clamp-o-tron Jr, or AGU-Jr.  It always felt pretty odd to smash a Kerbal through the AGU or the AGU-Jr.

I actually think that for a space ambulance that the B2 Sickbay on an SSTO that is gravatic/warp powered would be a natural.  Though I actually am a pilot, the best I've been able to do with planes in KSP is uncontrolled disassembly. 

Speaking of SSTOs, I'm surprised that Vaos hasn't found Blueshift/KFS.  Seems he'd have a heck of a time with that.

13 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Alternatively, try Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux. It's got a 1.875m inline command pod, although no hatch.

As for that angelo kerman action figure, maybe that's something for custom flags.

As for a 0.625m clampo tron, at that point why not just use the jr ports?

For the clamp-o-tron, it's a matter of compatability throughout the fleet.  It would sure be nice to have some adapter that could be an inventory item and be put in place by an Eng on EVA.  Swiss Army Clamp-o-tron adapter.  Adapt any size clamp-o-tron to any other size.

1 minute ago, Ooglak Kerman said:

compatability throughout the fleet. 

In that case, you may want to use the 0.9375m buffalo ports and the standard ones. My fleet only uses standard ports, although it has a few jr ports for docking to older ships, from back when I tried to make everything as small as possible.

Got the Clydesdale Refit IVA into the game today:

QtBISOL.png

xkfDciu.png

ss5WW5G.png

uYBQJlp.png

kX9h1Tq.png

pUaIGmr.pngD1sZVmZ.png

Compared to the original:

2hMxDeK.png

aOafAVn.png

Though I'm not entirely sold on the vertical bridge, the captain's ready room is definitely staying. Tomorrow I'll set up the Clydesdale's props and then start in on the Danube Delta.

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Thought just occurred to me today: Is there a B2 part with a docking port available on the top of the module?

You could probably just use the rover variant and stick a clamp o tron on the top node.