What did you make for dinner?

JoeSchmuckatelli

On 10/16/2022 at 10:46 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Anyone got an instant pot?  My old crock pot (that I just made a fantastic Biff Stew in) cracked and we've got one on order to replace it.

We have the Pampered Chef Multi-Cooker (basically a high-end InstaPot). I make at least one batch of yogurt a week in it; does quick'n'easy potatoes or hardboiled eggs; also has sous vide and sterilize settings. Tonight we used it to defrost/cook 2lbs of chicken breast pieces (quicker than the nuker) and then made Chicken Parmesan Penne in it.

So... The rice came out fine.  So has the rice I've made stove top. 

I think the advantage of the instant pot is that it's programmable - so I'm not likely to overcook any rice.  I don't notice that it takes any less time or less prep. 

Guess I need to look for a higher branch to see if I really like it or not. 

Edit - FWIW, I'm a big fan of toasting the rice in butter or garlic flavored olive oil before the kernals ever get wet.  Toss in some fresh chives or garlic and add salt/ spices before cooking (time comes down a bit) and the rice is fantastic. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Learning a new device is... 

I'm not one of the RTFM before using guys.  More of a 'skim it and rely on past experiences' type.  Run into problems?  THEN it's RTFM time. 

Trying to make a 15 bean soup from an Instant Pot recipe.  Instructions call for me to saute (has a button) some of the aromatic veggies as a first step. 

Toss the stuff in (oil and veggies), pop on the lid and press saute plus temp and time and Start. 

After a few minutes... The machine goes nuts.  All the lights flashing, constant beeping.  Something. Is. Clearly. Wrong. 

Turns out... You DON'T saute with the lid on. 

Oops. 

I've made this soup a bunch of times.  Usually comes out great.  It did, this time too.

Noticeably, the 'mouth feel' of the beans was better.  Less 'soggy' and all of them evenly done.  I did make a mistake and put the ham in too early, so it kind of disappeared, but the sausage (I used a mix of ham chunks and spicy Italian sausage - like salami, rather than the kind you get on pizza) really added to the mix.

Takeaway was the soup was 'more fun' to eat... but I wouldn't classify it as 'less work' than doing it in the slow cooker.  There's all these 'set on high and cook for 3 minutes' things, which inevitably take 14 given the machine cycling through stages.  I'd say, all told, it took 2 hours to make the soup - most of which was, admittedly just waiting - but definitely more of a process than simply dumping the soaked beans and other ingredients into a slow cooker.

Sunday family dinner at in-laws was just take out (pizza), but my sister in law brought a salad she made exclusively from stuff from the farmer's market. Really good. She made a walnut dressing. Anyway, she had use dress it on our plates since she thought it would wilt fast dressed, and the made a TON. Long story short, there was a lot leftover, undressed, so I got to take a large bag home. My wife was at a medical conference in Baltimore, but got home later last night. So tonight she was at Pilates, and I used the leftover salad mix for dinner. Also had leftover tortellini with some pesto I made as a pasta salad. I had bought some sous vide pork belly at Trader Joes, so I crisped that up, and added to the salad as lardons, threw in some nuts, and made a dressing (lemon, dijon, olive oil, salt, etc). Was pretty good—but salad with crispy pork is bound to be good.

I baked a salmon filet with some butter, lemon juice, garlic, and random fresh herbs from my father's garden. 

First time I've done it.  I don't cook a lot of seafood, since my youngest is allergic to it.  It wasn't the prettiest dish, but it was tasty.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:39 PM, adsii1970 said:

Buttermilk pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs - the pancakes were homemade. As in nothing from a pre-made powdered and contained in a box.

I'm always amazed that people use premixed pancake stuff. I can make pancakes in my sleep (mine are more like crepes, however—you make the pancakes your mom or dad made I think ;) ((and both parents came from thin pancake people (French and Swedish)).

Had 2 b-day dinners over the weekend. Friday was a friend's, and we did it at our house (we contributed part, his wife contributed part). She came by in the morning with a dutch oven with a cochinita pibil made. I popped it in the oven late-lunch, and just left it to cook all afternoon at 300°F. We got/made the other taco components (pico, salsa verde, etc), and a salad, and I had made carnitas the day before, so I had a ton of pork lying about.

So you need to make cochinita pibil. Insanely delicious. Her recipe was more complex from the NYT  but here's a simpler Rick Bayless version on youtube:

Also, this looks pretty close to hers:

https://www.seriouseats.com/cochinita-pibil-yucatan-barbecue-mexican-smoked-pork-recipe

Ours was in the oven, but seeing the above makes me think I need to do it on the BBQ at some point, but that will require ~4 hours of constant attention vs popping it in, then coming home in 4 hours, lol. Also, she didn't have banana leaves, so she wrapped it in parchment paper—had she asked, I have several banana plants in my house, I could have supplied the leaves, lol—and I plan on making this when we have a house guest next weekend.

So anyway, the above can be done in an oven, and it's just amazing.

Then Sunday, there was a 2 family member b-day, my daughter, and my brother in law, and they asked for tacos. So I had some leftover cochinita pibil, my carnitas, and I did the poblano/cheese tacos mentioned up the thread, plus home made pico de gallo, salsa verde, and pickled red onion. My sister in law made a roasted corn salad (used the frozen roasted corn from trader joe's) with jicama, lime juice, etc, really good.

A weekend of tacos with almost no active cooking/prep time except the pico (lots of chopping for that). Onions take like 2 seconds, and salsa verde is made in a blender.

• 2 weeks later...

the local price of eggs is up to $5 a dozen. nope. 

anyway last night i made my fall off the bone pork ribs. ive probibly posted what i do above somewhere. this time i used pineapple juice in the sauce. turned out pretty good. had to do the final pass on the broiler because too cold to grill. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanksgiving's coming up everyone!! Yesterday we received the turkey and today we're making the stuffing and cranberry chutney. This year we're doing a spatchcocked turkey for the first time, so I'm excited to see how that's going to come out.

What are all of you doing?

28 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

Thanksgiving's coming up everyone!! Yesterday we received the turkey and today we're making the stuffing and cranberry chutney. This year we're doing a spatchcocked turkey for the first time, so I'm excited to see how that's going to come out.

20-pound, spatchcocked turkey has been dry-brining in the fridge since Sunday. This morning I made the cranberry sauce and roasted and pureed the pumpkins for the pie. The pie will get made tonight, everything else will get made tomorrow. In toto, the menu is:

• Turkey
  • Gravy
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Stuffing
  • Carrots & Turnips
  • Smoked Brussel Sprouts
  • Cranberry Sauce
  • Pumpkin Pie

6 hours ago, LHACK4142 said:

I'm going to spatchcock the bird, then completely fillet it (did that last year). Use the bones for making stock/gravy.

Cornbread dressing with chorizo.

Mashed sweet potatoes with chipotle in adobo (ends up not dissimilar from spiced sweet potato fries if you have had those).

Some sort of salad I think (in-laws bringing that).

Wife is making pies and already made a cranberry chutney.

I will also make some cocktails (my son is being the personal driver for the grandparents). Was experimenting with a sort of mulling spice flavored Manhattan tonight, or I have an apple one I made up for my wife that needs a name that is good (shaken (a sour), though, way too easy to consume).

Edited by tater

On topic, picked up my daughter at her dorm and we had a full family dinner... since tomorrow is a big meal, tonight we had green chile cheese eggs and my wife's fave salad (kale, with a lemon dressing, almonds, Parmigiano Reggiano and tart cheries). GC cheese eggs are easy.

A dozen eggs. Some shredded cheese (I use a 4-cheese Mexican blend we have)—a decent amount, 2 cups? (don't measure)—a bunch of green chile (fresh/frozen if you've got it, I used jarred "extra roasted" medium) maybe a cup?—and some salt. Beat the eggs with a fork until "loose", add the other stuff, pour into a buttered pie dish, and bake at 350° F (177°C or close) until done. 30-40 minutes?

Ends up creamy, almost like a quiche (could probably add some cream one of these days to try that). Or a crustless quiche. Super good. I had some bacon in the fridge to get rid of, so I cut a few strips in half, and laid them on top once it was firm enough to support them (10 min?).