Spacesuits

tater

1. What if the docking port of the mermaid suit is bent, and it can't dock?
They need a big pressurizable hangar to let the human get out, with a ~3 m wide hatch door.

2. What if he must work close to the hul, between thin structures on the station surface, or two must physically interact?

Spoiler

russian-eva-27-spacewalk-mission-0960205220322142021-nasa-astronaut-raja-chari-simages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR62A2i_mFQTHsxGYthchp

3. Will the soft door passing of a soft human be replaced with docking of a freely maneuvering object at arbitrary relative speed vector?

Clearly, what is needed is a little cybernetic implant to activate prehensile toes on the exterior of the feet of the suit. We were fully prehensile species once, let's use it.

2 hours ago, AckSed said:

Clearly, what is needed is a little cybernetic implant to activate prehensile toes on the exterior of the feet of the suit. We were fully prehensile species once, let's use it.

You can curl your toes use that for control as in grab or release. I have an pretty large gap between the big toe and the others and has picked up stuff like screw drivers and lighters with the feet, 
Way more impressive I saw a lady without arms type touch with her toes. 
It was an book with some gene modified humans with hands instead of feet, I say something like modified ape feet would work just as well and the only downside is that you needed special shoes and perhaps not be able to run as fast. 

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

And a prehensile tail.

Hide contents

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8qidBB3leJxvPbV53ZyP

That is an upgrade package.
Florence's boyfriends mother was disappointed Florence's was not prehensile
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff3200/fc03147.htm

Edited by magnemoe

• 9 months later...
3 minutes ago, farmerben said:

I like an idea from Neal Stephanson's "Seven Eves", the cheap spacesuit is just the arms and a coffin like solid box for the rest of the human body.

I posted something about that 1 page earlier in this thread (personal spacecraft vs suits). It's in fact an old idea.

remora.jpg

C0130514-Von_Braun_discussing_spacesuit,

• 1 month later...

A built-in cold gas small range maneuvering system would be nice.  Just click on a tank for gas, or not if tethers are the order for the outing.  I'm picturing tiny boot, wrist, and belt (near CoM) nozzles and a cpu to modulate flow to each depending on body position and desired attitude and velocity.

Maybe ability to use suit oxygen for thrust in an emergency if no thruster gas tank attached or is empty

Edited by darthgently

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Spaceception said:

It's not. Life support comes from an umbilical with the tether. It's just kind of a bulkier IVA suit that can handle vacuum better.

Yes, an incremental approach. Assuming the arms and helmet work decently well, they then work on the legs, PLSS, etc.

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

It's not. Life support comes from an umbilical with the tether. It's just kind of a bulkier IVA suit that can handle vacuum better.

"So it's a Sokol suit for throwing tourists out of the capsule for slow bouts, one by one because otherwise the umbilicals would get twisted"