Editor part duplicate broken

When duplicating multiple parts in both the SPH and VAB, all parts attached to the one I duplicated are offset in random directions and it really slows down larger builds. Here is a simple plane with no offsetting suffering from the bug. I had all of my mods installed before the bug started, so it doesn't seem like they were the problem, but here they are anyway:

BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.13)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.3.1)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.3.1)
Docking Cam (DockingCamKURS 1.3.8.2)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.10.0.0)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
Environmental Visual Enhancements Redux (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.11.6.1)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.9.0)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - Next (KerbalJointReinforcementNext v4.1.15)
KSP Recall (KSP-Recall v0.2.2.1)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.10.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.6)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.6)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0831)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0831)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0831)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.6)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.4.6.8)
VesselMover Continued (VesselMoverContinued v1.12.0)
Waterfall Core (Waterfall 0.8.1)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.2.4)

On 2/27/2022 at 2:03 PM, BobTheDeleter said:

Here is a simple plane with no offsetting suffering from the bug. I had all of my mods installed before the bug started, so it doesn't seem like they were the problem, but here they are anyway

Let me fill you about what's happening.

On KSP 1.9 (yep, that long), something got screwed up and I think that Squad decided to workaround the problem by brute forcing data from prefab after loading the craft. This royally screwed up TweakScale and anything else that needs to change the part's attachment positions.

Worse, as you detected, it screws up also Alt+Clicks (duplicates) and SubAssemblies once you try to workaround the Editor's workaround.

Originally I had brute-forced my way on TweakScale, but by doing that I "solved" the problem for me but started to create problems for other people. So I decided to really understand the problem and tackle it down on KSP-Recall.

What you are seeing is the consequence of a partial fix, as by some weird reason I didn't detected that parts on mirrors would be suffering from the problem (I applied the fix only for radial attachments!). I'm cooking a new KSP-Recall release with this fixed today.

In the mean time, I have a reasonable work-around for the problem (to tell you the true, I'll teach you how to to trigger the Editor's bug): 

1) Never start a subtree with a part without variant, unless it have a part with variant immediately attached to it.

or

2) Always start the subtree using a part with variant.

In essence, the Editor's bug is that it's bluntly ignoring attachment's positions (and rotations, as I was recently told) when the subtree you are Alt+Copying or loading from a SubAssembly (or craft file) have as root part a part without variants followed by another part without variants. And this appears to be exactly the case you are suffering right now.

19 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

It's KSP Recall. I already reported it to @Lisias on that thread. I agree it's pretty annoying but it sounds like a complex problem he's trying to fix without breaking other features/ mods. 

Yep. I didn't forgot. :) I'm working on it.

— — POST EDIT — — 

There's a new release for KSP-Recall with (hopefully) the correct fix for the problem.

It's currently in "Early Access" because I'm not sure if this fix will really fix everybody problems. I kindly ask for people willing to try it in advance to report any mishaps.

Cheers!

Edited by Lisias
post edit

On 2/28/2022 at 2:28 AM, Lisias said:

Let me fill you about what's happening.

On KSP 1.9 (yep, that long), something got screwed up and I think that Squad decided to workaround the problem by brute forcing data from prefab after loading the craft. This royally screwed up TweakScale and anything else that needs to change the part's attachment positions.

Worse, as you detected, it screws up also Alt+Clicks (duplicates) and SubAssemblies once you try to workaround the Editor's workaround.

Originally I had brute-forced my way on TweakScale, but by doing that I "solved" the problem for me but started to create problems for other people. So I decided to really understand the problem and tackle it down on KSP-Recall.

What you are seeing is the consequence of a partial fix, as by some weird reason I didn't detected that parts on mirrors would be suffering from the problem (I applied the fix only for radial attachments!). I'm cooking a new KSP-Recall release with this fixed today.

In the mean time, I have a reasonable work-around for the problem (to tell you the true, I'll teach you how to to trigger the Editor's bug): 

1) Never start a subtree with a part without variant, unless it have a part with variant immediately attached to it.

or

2) Always start the subtree using a part with variant.

In essence, the Editor's bug is that it's bluntly ignoring attachment's positions (and rotations, as I was recently told) when the subtree you are Alt+Copying or loading from a SubAssembly (or craft file) have as root part a part without variants followed by another part without variants. And this appears to be exactly the case you are suffering right now.

Yep. I didn't forgot. :) I'm working on it.

— — POST EDIT — — 

There's a new release for KSP-Recall with (hopefully) the correct fix for the problem.

It's currently in "Early Access" because I'm not sure if this fix will really fix everybody problems. I kindly ask for people willing to try it in advance to report any mishaps.

Cheers!

The bug fix seems to be working! Thanks for the quick response and detailed explanation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.