KSP2 "client mode" API that would allow real time telemetry provided by real space agency/company launches to drive KSP2 Map View display

The idea is that one could use KSP2 Map View to augment the suborbital and orbital enjoyment of real launches in cooperation with the launching agency and companies that would provide a stream of formatted telemetry and craft data during the launch.  Imagine watching a Centaur raise its PE during circularization via real data for example while able to move the view in 3D just as when playing in game

A Flight View that leveraged a pre-downloaded agency/company provided craft file would be great but much more problematic and probably a bridge too far.  But a Map View based purely on real time telemetry and some basic fuel/mass modelling (corrected by telemetry info) should be doable enough to be aesthetically pleasing

If security is an issue for some launches then the stream can be delayed, fudged a bit to not reveal the exact orbit or resultant anomaly, or not provided at all by the agency/company

This could be yuge PR and aesthetic win for both KSP2 and the agencies/companies involved.  I wouldn't be surprised if media outlets used the "client mode" display during broadcasts as one of their goto views

RSS  or the KSP2 equivalent would be necessary of course

Edited by darthgently

you mean like some kind of "ingame event" ?

how would you time such thing? since ksp involves a ton of timewarping...

i like the idea of bringing more "real life facts" into ksp though.

7 hours ago, pwn said:

you mean like some kind of "ingame event" ?

how would you time such thing? since ksp involves a ton of timewarping...

i like the idea of bringing more "real life facts" into ksp though.

No, you are over thinking it.  It would have nothing to do with an ongoing game and would be a completely standalone mode.  Like a temporary separate gamesave maybe

So essentially you would be able to follow real-life missions via the in-game renderer so that you could look at the orbit whenever you want? I would love to have that, but definitely not as part of the base game. There are much better things to implement and it sounds like the perfect idea for a DLC or mod. 

7 hours ago, t_v said:

So essentially you would be able to follow real-life missions via the in-game renderer so that you could look at the orbit whenever you want? I would love to have that, but definitely not as part of the base game. There are much better things to implement and it sounds like the perfect idea for a DLC or mod. 

It might go beyond a mod in order to get something to work depending on KSP2 implementation but I think it could certainly be done with a mod in current KSP

Even if agencies just use KSP2 for rendering their video feed, it would already be a huge step up from the low quality renders typically seen after the rocket leaves the camera's view. Such API idea would greatly simplify the process for them

2 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Even if agencies just use KSP2 for rendering their video feed, it would already be a huge step up from the low quality renders typically seen after the rocket leaves the camera's view. Such API idea would greatly simplify the process for them

It would be humorous and a big win for us here if some big media outlet jumped on the bandwagon in a rush but forgot to install RSS.  So we'd get to see, say a mythical New Glenn launch, around Kerbin on national television.  I'd pay for that

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 4:38 AM, darthgently said:

The idea is that one could use KSP2 Map View to augment the suborbital and orbital enjoyment of real launches in cooperation with the launching agency and companies that would provide a stream of formatted telemetry and craft data during the launch.  Imagine watching a Centaur raise its PE during circularization via real data for example while able to move the view in 3D just as when playing in game

A Flight View that leveraged a pre-downloaded agency/company provided craft file would be great but much more problematic and probably a bridge too far.  But a Map View based purely on real time telemetry and some basic fuel/mass modelling (corrected by telemetry info) should be doable enough to be aesthetically pleasing

If security is an issue for some launches then the stream can be delayed, fudged a bit to not reveal the exact orbit or resultant anomaly, or not provided at all by the agency/company

This could be yuge PR and aesthetic win for both KSP2 and the agencies/companies involved.  I wouldn't be surprised if media outlets used the "client mode" display during broadcasts as one of their goto views

RSS  or the KSP2 equivalent would be necessary of course

Where would the devs get said telemetry?

1 minute ago, darthgently said:
20 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Where would the devs get said telemetry?

I wrote where it would come from.  You didn't bother to read.   Strike one

On 3/11/2022 at 4:38 AM, darthgently said:

A Flight View that leveraged a pre-downloaded agency/company provided craft file

This? Yeah, how would the KSP team convince NASA to spend its work hours pandering to a video game?