[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

I may be completely missing something but is there any reason I am getting the issue in the picture below? Everything looks normal in my game when I first launch  but after playing for a while I start to get black grass/plants and some of the trees turn into 2d objects. I am at a loss here. I thought it was AVP but I have removed it and I was still having the same issue. Any help is appreciated.

WupzsUK.jpeg

I am getting an error on the loading screen.

"Your system does not support compute shaders". I believe I have everything installed as planned. I am running a Mac computer, but I don't have the scatters installed so I hoped it would be fine.

42 minutes ago, space_otter said:

I am getting an error on the loading screen.

"Your system does not support compute shaders". I believe I have everything installed as planned. I am running a Mac computer, but I don't have the scatters installed so I hoped it would be fine.

If you don't have the scatters installed, you can ignore this warning. As long as the terrain looks correct there's nothing to worry about :)

Technical reason why: Apple dropped support for OpenGL and uses a version that does not support compute shaders which sucks. So while you can't use the scatters, the rest of the mod will work fine

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

As long as the terrain looks correct there's nothing to worry about

Unfortunately I have the weird infinite loading screen bug. As far as I'm aware my Kopernicus install is working properly. I even tried installing  parallax 1.3 and that worked fine, however I saw that there were a few updates to the terrain shader and I would like to use them. 

Hello, everyone!

I am using an older AMD GPU (Vega) and I have really bad performance on the Mun, maybe 10 fps. While I am on Kerbin everything runs mostly okay at 60fps, with only occasional drops to lower rates.

Is there a way to fix this?

In OP's troubleshooting guide I can only find references to Nvida GPUs. (And the link to download OP recommended settings.cfg is dead, too.)

Edited by NippyFlippers
spelling and readability

Hello mod creator! I just wanna say that this mod is one of the most facinating mod I 've ever played in KSP! However, it seems that the Parallax doesnt works with the RSS, so is there any future plan to add this function? 

To People changing the densityMultiplier to higher numbers than 5 for rescaled systems. Do you not get an error? I get log spams and severe stutter in the tracking station when first loading it. FPS goes from 2 to 60 again after a mintue or so. Performance in flight is good. First few seconds of loading can stutter but thats ok. Why would it affect performance in tracking station anyway?

[ERR 19:30:55.112] Thread group count is above the maximum allowed limit. Maximum allowed thread group count is 65535

Edited by dave1904

4 hours ago, dave1904 said:

ERR 19:30:55.112] Thread group count is above the maximum allowed limit. Maximum allowed thread group count is 65535

It's always a very good idea to upload and link to a complete log file. Often the important data comes at some time before the errors start spamming.

On 2/10/2024 at 5:39 AM, D1fficu1t said:

Hello mod creator! I just wanna say that this mod is one of the most facinating mod I 've ever played in KSP! However, it seems that the Parallax doesnt works with the RSS, so is there any future plan to add this function? 

Well theyre working on configs for RSS atm so hang tight 

also @ballisticfox0 is working on RSS reborn which does have Parallax configs  but thats a bit more difficult to install, but if you want to read the google doc carefully and follow the instructions

Link to Google doc

link to it is bellow Link to the post from ballisticfox 

Spoiler

note for the forum moderators 

unlocked patereon post so theres no need to remove the link.

Edited by kspbutitscursed

On 2/14/2024 at 12:17 AM, softweir said:

It's always a very good idea to upload and link to a complete log file. Often the important data comes at some time before the errors start spamming.

Not in this case because its a settings thing and not a bug or anything. It's a question about a single setting that causes major performance related stuttering.  I've lowered it to 5 and everything seems fine. I just was wondering how people are getting away with settings above that or if they are ignoring the error. 

On 2/18/2024 at 8:46 PM, Kekkie said:

This may be of interest to Mac users wanting to use Parallax:

https://rosenzweig.io/blog/conformant-gl46-on-the-m1.html

Looks promising! Would be great if there was a tutorial on how to install fedora and play ksp with it, as the process seems quite complicated (I don't have much experience in using programs like this). I have always wanted to play ksp with parallax 2 but unfortunately I am using a Mac. Hope this will be possible one day. Thanks @Kekkie

Edited by Space Kerbalisation Tech

Hello! I've been getting a sort of...I don't know whether it's a model or texture bug or something else entirely, on Eve. Everything looks fine when I initially start playing but, after some amount of scene switching, I eventually start getting these bland looking objects (see imgur link).
https://imgur.com/a/diX1RwX

Here's my player log. I tried looking through it, but I couldn't make too much sense of it :(. Has anyone else encountered something like this before?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzjm512pfp3649l/Player.log?dl=0

26 minutes ago, Bizobinator said:

Hello! I've been getting a sort of...I don't know whether it's a model or texture bug or something else entirely, on Eve. Everything looks fine when I initially start playing but, after some amount of scene switching, I eventually start getting these bland looking objects (see imgur link).
https://imgur.com/a/diX1RwX

Here's my player log. I tried looking through it, but I couldn't make too much sense of it :(. Has anyone else encountered something like this before?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzjm512pfp3649l/Player.log?dl=0

It's a bug in my texture loader somewhere. This should hopefully be fixed in the mod rewrite but it's still a fair bit of time out

10 minutes ago, Bizobinator said:

Wait, it's not something I did?

I do have a bazillion & a half mods installed...

And wait, Parallax is getting a re-write??

It's a very rare occuring bug but it gets reported every now and then

Yeah, I'm rewriting Parallax at the moment to get in a whole load of bug fixes and optimizations :) 

I’ve seen that a scatter density multiplier is what I should be using for a scaled up system. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am running a 6.4 X system and I’m curious what the maximum I can get out of the mod is. I am running a Ryzen 7800X3D, a RX 7900 XT (12gb of VRAM) and 32 gb of RAM. I’ve seen earlier in the thread that 50 is the maximum multiplier that most people usually take, but I was curious if anyone had some scaled system tips

22 minutes ago, Whovian41110 said:

I’ve seen that a scatter density multiplier is what I should be using for a scaled up system. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am running a 6.4 X system and I’m curious what the maximum I can get out of the mod is. I am running a Ryzen 7800X3D, a RX 7900 XT (12gb of VRAM) and 32 gb of RAM. I’ve seen earlier in the thread that 50 is the maximum multiplier that most people usually take, but I was curious if anyone had some scaled system tips

As you scale a planet, its area increases by the scale factor squared. Since scatters cover a given area, you should multiply the density factor by square of the rescale value :)

Although, there is a hardware limit to how high you can push it. For a 6.4x system you'll want to set the globalDensityMultiplier to around 41. Most people usually turn this down for performance reasons, since density multiplier is directly linked to RAM/VRAM usage. If you get crashes or the game simply doesn't load, lower the multiplier a bit

31 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

As you scale a planet, its area increases by the scale factor squared. Since scatters cover a given area, you should multiply the density factor by square of the rescale value :)

Although, there is a hardware limit to how high you can push it. For a 6.4x system you'll want to set the globalDensityMultiplier to around 41. Most people usually turn this down for performance reasons, since density multiplier is directly linked to RAM/VRAM usage. If you get crashes or the game simply doesn't load, lower the multiplier a bit

Sounds good, thanks for the tip! I’ll try this after work!